question about dependents

Old May 12th 2015, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

waffletoast is an unknown quantity at this point
Default question about dependents

I am currently visiting home. I have a UK passport, both of my parents are citizens. My children were born in the US and do not have UK passports yet. I have a couple of questions:
  1. If I apply for a children's passport for my children while in the UK, will it be denied outright?
  2. If I decide to move back to the UK do I have to prove I can support my children if they have UK passports?

I've lived in the US with my husband since 2008 but when Sandy Hook happened I got really scared and now my children are approaching school age I get really worried about guns. I live in a pretty gun happy state.
Old May 12th 2015, 2:54 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: question about dependents

You apply for the UK passports for the children in the states

Once they have them, you & the kids can enter & live in the UK without restriction or a need to show that you can support them, because they'd basically be 'home' as Brits.
Old May 12th 2015, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

Seeing as we're here in the UK at the moment I thought it would be cheaper and easier to apply from here, is this wrong?
Old May 12th 2015, 2:56 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

maybe, if they are with you in the UK...

suggest you contact the passport office in the UK

"First child passport
urgent renewal service if you’re in the UK for 3 weeks or less
standard renewal service if you’re in the UK for more than 3 weeks
If your child has been included on your passport or they’ve never had a passport of their own, apply for a first child passport. This takes 3 weeks."

https://www.gov.uk/passport-applicat...le-visiting-uk

Last edited by not2old; May 12th 2015 at 3:03 pm.
Old May 12th 2015, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

I can't use my parents address?
Old May 12th 2015, 3:43 pm
Dichotomus tinker

correction made to post #4

suggest that you contact (call) the passport office in the UK

Globe House, 89 Eccleston Square, London SW1V 1PN, United Kingdom
Phone:+44 300 222 0000
Old May 12th 2015, 9:09 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Your children can apply for their first passports if they are with in the UK at the moment and you have their birth certificates as well as yours.
Old May 22nd 2015, 11:23 am
Just Joined

If anyone was wondering what happened, I called the passport line and they told me that it would take 6 weeks for their first UK passports and I would need to send their US passports and their US birth certificates. Considering this i decided to do the fast track application and went to the London Passport office with all my evidence and the completed application forms. The standard time for this service is 7 days. I applied on Wednesday and their UK passports arrived on Friday. I did not have to take my children with me to the office.
Old May 22nd 2015, 11:26 am
Just Joined

Does anyone know the answer to my second question? Do i have to prove I can support both my children if we were to move back to the UK now that they have UK passports and their passports say they are British Citizens?
Old May 22nd 2015, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by waffletoast
Does anyone know the answer to my second question? Do i have to prove I can support both my children if we were to move back to the UK now that they have UK passports and their passports say they are British Citizens?
UK citizens are allowed to live in their own country. You do not have to prove you can support UK citizen children to move them to the UK.

Is your husband a UK citizen?

Last edited by formula; May 22nd 2015 at 3:30 pm.
Old May 22nd 2015, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

No, my husband is a US citizen.
Old May 23rd 2015, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

scottishmex is an unknown quantity at this point

waffletoast were your children in the UK with you at the time of application for the passports?

I need to apply for my sons first british passport who is currently in mexico but the processing time is 3 months.
Old May 23rd 2015, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

Yes, we were all in the UK together...however, I didn't have to take them to the appointment at the passport office. The person who processed my application asked me where each of my children was and i just said, "at home".