Proving source of monetary gift absolutely necessary?

Old Oct 15th 2018, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

Lastlife is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Proving source of monetary gift absolutely necessary?

Hi everyone. I'm in the middle of compiling all my documents to apply for a settlement visa for the UK. So far I've got everything except one thing.

My father had transferred a sum of money to me as a gift more than a decade ago. The money has since then been transferred to another account (under my name) in another bank, and it's in another account and in another bank. Basically it fulfils the financial requirement of having at least £62,500 in my savings account for at least 6 months. I've had this money since 2006. I was told I will need to show evidence of transfer from his account to mine, as well as produce a letter to say that it is indeed a gift ; not a loan. Unfortunately I've had a lot of difficulty obtaining that proof of transfer as this was a very long time ago.

My question is: is it absolutely necessary that I send the proof the transfer? Is it possible to only send bank statements proving I've had the money for 6 months and a letter signed by my dad and me?

​​​The only other thing I can think of now is to show a transfer he'd made to my sister years ago because he had given me and my sisters money years ago. The reason why the banker has found my sister's transfer and not mine is because it was more recent.

Basically I've got everything I need to apply except for this one document. Should I still go ahead and apply? The application fee is not a small amount.

Thank you.
Old Oct 15th 2018, 6:55 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proving source of monetary gift absolutely necessary?

“I was told” - by whom?
Old Oct 15th 2018, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

Uh, lots of forums said that. I assume that's how it is? According to several forums, people have been denied their spousal visa because they did not submit evidence of where the money came from.
Old Oct 15th 2018, 11:24 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You need to declare the source of your savings on Appendix 2. Providing evidence of the source is usually not required. Did all the money come from your father? Is the total amount significantly higher than £62,500?
Old Oct 16th 2018, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Did your father declare these gifts to the IR as Gifts under the seven year rule?. If so they will have a record if it is needed..
Old Oct 16th 2018, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by mikemike
Did your father declare these gifts to the IR as Gifts under the seven year rule?. If so they will have a record if it is needed..
It isn’t clear whether the OP is the applicant or sponsor.
Old Oct 16th 2018, 2:53 am
Just Joined

Sorry I'd forgotten to include these details.

I'm the applicant. I live in Indonesia and the savings account mentioned above is in Citibank Singapore but in USD. The total is about 300,000 USD. Yes all of it was a gift from my father. He gave similar amounts to my sisters around that time. My husband (British national) is living in England and working. In fact, he has been working there for 4 months now.

Last edited by Lastlife; Oct 16th 2018 at 4:22 am.
Old Oct 16th 2018, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

Can anyone help? Thanks.
Old Oct 16th 2018, 11:09 pm

That’s a considerable sum. I would get your father to write a letter confirming the amount he gave you and confirming it’s a gift with no expectation of repayment. He should sign this letter in ink and include some photo ID that includes proof of signature like a passport or driving licence.