Proof of cohabitation - living with a relative

Old Sep 29th 2020, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

GOALFIRE is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Proof of cohabitation - living with a relative

Hi - a relative has kindly offered up part of their house (semi-self contained lower level) for the wife and I to live in if we return to the UK. It is not a separate dwelling so the address will be the same as the house where my relative lives (no flat number or anything like that), they won't accept any rent, no bills will be in my name (but of course I'll offer to pay for the hospitality though I'm guessing it will be resisted!).

Putting aside the practical aspect of living with a relative here (there are positives and negatives for both parties with this arrangement) - is there anything we should be aware of from an immigration standpoint if we were to take them up on their offer (either temporarily or for the duration of the ~5 year process)?

Could I prove cohabitation with a cell phone bill or a sign letter from said relative? Not sure if it would count but we'll have been married +20 years by the time this will come to fruition.

I can't imagine I'm the only person who's been offered a place to stay by a relative when returning.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old Sep 29th 2020, 3:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proof of cohabitation - living with a relative

When it comes to renewing the initial visa and at ILR stage you'll need to show co-habitation by presenting a range of documents with your joint/single names and the same address. i.e. Bank statements/insurance documents/wills/financial papers/medical papers etc.

If staying rent/utility/council tax free for whole visa period you'll have to make an effort to 'collect' enough documentation to show you have lived together.

The owners of the property will need to provide a letter giving their permission and proof of ownership.(deeds/mortgage docs)

Old Sep 29th 2020, 4:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proof of cohabitation - living with a relative

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
When it comes to renewing the initial visa and at ILR stage you'll need to show co-habitation by presenting a range of documents with your joint/single names and the same address. i.e. Bank statements/insurance documents/wills/financial papers/medical papers etc. ...
Joint accounts, being named as each other's life ins beneficiaries ....

Honestly, after 20+ years of marriage, you don't have much to worry about just becuase you don't have rent, mortgage, council tax, or utility bills in joint names.