Pregnant and panicked re impending visa expiry

Old Jun 20th 2018, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

Anna81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pregnant and panicked re impending visa expiry

Hello,

My UK spouse visa expires on the 1st August 2018 but we do not wish to extend it as we are going to Australia to have our baby that is due on December 19th. Having said that, August 1st is soon approaching and I was hoping to leave more towards late August – early Sept. We will return at some point to the UK so I do not want to jeopardise any opportunity to obtain visas in the future. So, I have 2 questions:

a) Is there a grace period from my visa expiry date that would permit me to stay past 1st Aug for a short period?
b) Could I leave the UK before my visa expiry date (visit a European country) and re-enter on a visitor visa if I have proof of my flight home?

I am hoping I do not have to be away from my husband for longer than necessary (he has to fulfil his 3 month notice period) but I also do not want to fork out for a visa I will not be using just to extend my stay for a very brief period.

Any advice or links to relevant information would be greatly appreciated as I am uncharacteristically emotional and worried about this.

Thank you in anticipation of your responses.

Kindest regards,

Anna
Old Jun 20th 2018, 10:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pregnant and panicked re impending visa expiry

If I remember correctly in April 2017 the grace period was reduced to 30 days - any stay after that increases chances of a ban?

If you are Australian then you don't need a visa to re-enter the UK. However that decision will be up to the border official. Re-entering again so soon might look as though you are trying to live in the UK as a visitor
Old Jun 20th 2018, 10:57 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

To avoid any future difficulties you should leave the UK by 1 August. Do you have any particular reason why you want to leave later, other than to reduce the period of separation from your husband?
Old Jul 4th 2018, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your advice!
Old Jul 4th 2018, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

@BritInParis Thanks for your reply. Definitely will leave the UK by 1 August and plan to try to reenter on a visitor visa. My husband is on a 3 month notice period and although I think they will shows some leniency with that he wants to secure an internal transfer before he returns to Australia. It has been in the works for quite awhile but it has just been tedious getting it over the line. We both are keen to get back to Oz and I would not stay longer than a month on a visitor visa as I do not want to fly heavily pregnant - that flight is a killer.
Old Jul 4th 2018, 12:56 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anna81
@BritInParis Thanks for your reply. Definitely will leave the UK by 1 August and plan to try to reenter on a visitor visa. My husband is on a 3 month notice period and although I think they will shows some leniency with that he wants to secure an internal transfer before he returns to Australia. It has been in the works for quite awhile but it has just been tedious getting it over the line. We both are keen to get back to Oz and I would not stay longer than a month on a visitor visa as I do not want to fly heavily pregnant - that flight is a killer.
If you do try and reenter the UK as a visitor shortly then make sure you bring evidence of your flight to Australia in your carry-on and expect a grilling. Is this your first spouse visa?
Old Jul 4th 2018, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

Hi BritInParis,
Yes this is my first spouse visa. We are going to have proof of the following -
- Flight home to Australia
- Letter from employer re end of employment here in the UK
- End of London rental lease
- End of furniture storage contract in Australia
- Hopefully my husband's Australian employment contract will be done by then.
- Waiting for letter from Dr. back home confirming their referral to Australian hospital for birth.

Hoping that will be enough as proof that it is my genuine intention to go back to Australia. I am so keen to get home and have been for awhile - if only I could use the endless conversations I have had with family and friends as proof! Love the UK but time to go home!
Old Jul 4th 2018, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Anna81
Hi BritInParis,
Yes this is my first spouse visa. We are going to have proof of the following -
- Flight home to Australia
- Letter from employer re end of employment here in the UK
- End of London rental lease
- End of furniture storage contract in Australia
- Hopefully my husband's Australian employment contract will be done by then.
- Waiting for letter from Dr. back home confirming their referral to Australian hospital for birth.

Hoping that will be enough as proof that it is my genuine intention to go back to Australia. I am so keen to get home and have been for awhile - if only I could use the endless conversations I have had with family and friends as proof! Love the UK but time to go home!
Sounds good; best of luck to you and your family.
Old Jul 4th 2018, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much - really appreciate your advice.