British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   Pre-Dated Vignette (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/pre-dated-vignette-904388/)

MonsterP Oct 10th 2017 11:47 am

Pre-Dated Vignette

Dear All,

Finally, our application has been approved and passport received today, total 80 working days.

However, the Vignette has been pre-dated a little, instead of post dated as I've seen from others. Valid from 06-10-17 - 05-10-17. Basically, cutting it short by 5 days.

Anyone had this experience before? I'm guessing that we can't do anything about this other than go through the tiresome process to request a new Vignette, costing about £200?

Also, my Wife will have to return to China for a meeting in November. Can you clarify that to do so, for her return to the UK, all she needs to carry is her Chinese passport and BRP card?

P.S. Thanks to all those who have given their input in helping us with the application! :thumbsup:

Regards, MP

BritInParis Oct 10th 2017 12:05 pm

Re: Pre-Dated Vignette

Do you mean 06/10/2017 to 05/11/2017? If so then that's the standard 30 day period. Your wife will need to enter the UK on or before 5 November and collect her BRP within ten days of arrival or apply for a new 30 day vignette.

Once your wife has her BRP then she can travel freely between the UK and China.

MonsterP Oct 10th 2017 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12357791)
Do you mean 06/10/2017 to 05/11/2017? If so then that's the standard 30 day period. Your wife will need to enter the UK on or before 5 November and collect her BRP within ten days of arrival or apply for a new 30 day vignette.

Once your wife has her BRP then she can travel freely between the UK and China.

Yes BIP, although, others have commented that the start date is usually 3-5 days after receiving the confirmation email that it's been processed.

Anyway, we'll just have to work to that now.

Presumably the deadline to arrive in the UK on 5th November is 2359hrs?

Cheers!

BritInParis Oct 10th 2017 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by MonsterP (Post 12357796)
Yes BIP, although, others have commented that the start date is usually 3-5 days after receiving the confirmation email that it's been processed.

Anyway, we'll just have to work to that now.

Presumably the deadline to arrive in the UK on 5th November is 2359hrs?

Cheers!

Depends on how long it took to get your wife's passport back to you. Yes, that would be the deadline in BST, but obviously try to arrive as soon as possible to avoid Sod's Law intervening with any flight delays/cancellations.

MonsterP Oct 10th 2017 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12357939)
Depends on how long it took to get your wife's passport back to you. Yes, that would be the deadline in BST, but obviously try to arrive as soon as possible to avoid Sod's Law intervening with any flight delays/cancellations.

Fortunately she had it back today, and has booked a one way flight already for arriving on 3rd Nov. :-). She'll take a round trip flight back to China later in November for her meeting, much cheaper buying flights originating in the UK.

j4v3d Oct 10th 2017 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by MonsterP (Post 12358004)
Fortunately she had it back today, and has booked a one way flight already for arriving on 3rd Nov. :-). She'll take a round trip flight back to China later in November for her meeting, much cheaper buying flights originating in the UK.

Make sure to pick up the BRP before leaving again. :thumbsup:

ryongsong Oct 10th 2017 8:28 pm

Interesting that the vignette is dated from the day they said your app is not straightforward!

The time allowed (basically 25 days) clearly assumes that everyone is simply sitting waiting to leave. In fact, most people are, because they have to, but it adds to the stress of this system. I don't see why they can't allow applications much earlier than intended travel times, and longer-dated vignettes.

BritInParis Oct 10th 2017 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by ryongsong (Post 12358137)
Interesting that the vignette is dated from the day they said your app is not straightforward!

The time allowed (basically 25 days) clearly assumes that everyone is simply sitting waiting to leave. In fact, most people are, because they have to, but it adds to the stress of this system. I don't see why they can't allow applications much earlier than intended travel times, and longer-dated vignettes.

It wasn't necessary when applications were being processed in four to six weeks.

Inselaffen Oct 13th 2017 8:15 am

For my wife's vignette they dated it from the date of issue rather than the intended date of travelling. that caused us to have to make a quick and expensive visit back to the UK.

prospect Oct 13th 2017 10:07 am

Yes and that's my concern. Can anyone clarify if they are taking any notice of the intended dates of travel or not? I don't want to be in the position of needing to make a quick trip to the UK (and crossing all fingers I don't need to take all three kids with me either and I can pick up on their behalf if they don't look at the indicated dates).

BritInParis Oct 13th 2017 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by prospect (Post 12360052)
Yes and that's my concern. Can anyone clarify if they are taking any notice of the intended dates of travel or not? I don't want to be in the position of needing to make a quick trip to the UK (and crossing all fingers I don't need to take all three kids with me either and I can pick up on their behalf if they don't look at the indicated dates).

They'll certainly be looking at the dates. If you're not ready to leave Australia then I wouldn't be applying until you are.