Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

powersmurf's questions - Options for Immigrating to USA via Marriage?

powersmurf's questions - Options for Immigrating to USA via Marriage?

Old Nov 28th 2011, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

powersmurf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: powersmurf's questions - Options for Immigrating to USA via Marriage?

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you guys, its been a stupid busy weekend at work!! Thanks very much for the input, it has certainly helped!! I certainly owe some of you a good few beers!!

The situation now is, we have registered with our local council to get married and this will take place after 16 days, I do believe the wedding is booked for the 14th Dec.

Once that is all done, we then submit the paper to the US Embassy here in London, correct? The I130? Once that’s done, we then apply for the IV?? Ok, so far, seems fairly straight forward, and the good thing is that we have time on our hands, we can carry on and get married as planned and then do our round the world honeymoon!! Sorted....he says!!!

Someone else asked about me being a Police Officer. Yes that is correct and yes I am aware that it takes 3 years to get citizenship. I have a friend who is ex UK Police and now a serving Police officer out there so she has fully briefed me up on how it works getting into the Police out there.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 7:43 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: powersmurf's questions - Options for Immigrating to USA via Marriage?

Your then wife submits an I-130 to the USCIS field office in London. The USCIS field office is physicall located within the embassy compound, but it is not a part of the embassy nor is it a part of the embassy's consular section.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by powersmurf
Once that is all done, we then submit the paper to the US Embassy here in London, correct? The I130?
Old Dec 8th 2011, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

Hi guys (and ladies),

So the wedding is all booked for this Monday (excited about it to be honest) and we're now getting everything ready for that.

I do, however, have one last question if I may;

Am I correct I thinking that on Monday afternoon after the wedding, we print off the I130 and G235A and send it in the mail to the London Office (I have the address from their website) and thats it? They then get intouch to take payment etc?

At what point do I send off my passport and do they keep it for the complete time they are processing the application?

Sorry to ask what might be a silly question, you guys have been great in helping me!!
Old Dec 8th 2011, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys (and ladies),

So the wedding is all booked for this Monday (excited about it to be honest) and we're now getting everything ready for that.

I do, however, have one last question if I may;

Am I correct I thinking that on Monday afternoon after the wedding, we print off the I130 and G235A and send it in the mail to the London Office (I have the address from their website) and thats it? They then get intouch to take payment etc?

At what point do I send off my passport and do they keep it for the complete time they are processing the application?

Sorry to ask what might be a silly question, you guys have been great in helping me!!
You don't send them your passport at all - you bring it to your visa interview in due course, and leave it with them to put your visa in. For the petition, you just send in a copy of your passport's info page, along with a copy of your marriage certificate, and your wife's US passport info page plus evidence of her status in the UK (ILR stamp or dual citizen passport info page).
Old Dec 8th 2011, 6:49 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Am I correct I thinking that on Monday afternoon after the wedding, we print off the I130 and G235A and send it in the mail to the London Office (I have the address from their website) and thats it?
Plus a copy of your marriage certificate and whatever else the I-130 requires.

They then get intouch to take payment etc?
No, I believe payment is to be made up front. Not sure how that works with DCF, but usually you have to include a check or money order drawn in US Dollars.

You don't send off your passport at all. You bring it with you to your visa interview, and then they send it back via courier with your visa inside, if you get approved.

Rene
Old Dec 9th 2011, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

Just thought Id let you all know we filled out the I130 this evening. Its all very stright forward and at the moment Im kind of worried because it seems to be hassle free....dare I say it?

So, I130 filled out, tomorrow I'll get all the other documents together that need to be sent off. Come Monday morning, get married and bang, Monday afternoon all goes off special delivery!!! aarrrhhh

Thats so much to you all for your help and advice, you have really helped tons.

I'll keep you posted with developments.

P.S. Strange that they dont take a credit card for payment and that a cheque must be made in US Dollars??? oh well...guess they'll take my wife to be american cheque!
Old Dec 9th 2011, 7:37 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

P.S. Strange that they dont take a credit card for payment
Why?

...and that a cheque must be made in US Dollars???
Yes...the agency is called USCIS. The US part stands for United States. Payment is to be made in US currency. Makes sense to me.

Rene
Old Dec 9th 2011, 9:30 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Come Monday morning, get married and bang, Monday afternoon all goes off special delivery!!!
You will need an official copy of your marriage certificate also, and sometimes you don't get that the same day. Just a heads up!

Ian
Old Dec 9th 2011, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You will need an official copy of your marriage certificate also, and sometimes you don't get that the same day. Just a heads up!

Ian
It's normal in the UK to get the certificate at the
ceremony.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 4:15 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought Id let you all know we filled out the I130 this evening. Its all very stright forward and at the moment Im kind of worried because it seems to be hassle free....dare I say it?

So, I130 filled out, tomorrow I'll get all the other documents together that need to be sent off. Come Monday morning, get married and bang, Monday afternoon all goes off special delivery!!! aarrrhhh

Thats so much to you all for your help and advice, you have really helped tons.

I'll keep you posted with developments.

P.S. Strange that they dont take a credit card for payment and that a cheque must be made in US Dollars??? oh well...guess they'll take my wife to be american cheque!
I'm concerned that you have not been following the DCF in London wiki entry here. There is a form for credit card payment; it's the most commonly used option. Be sure to double check you are using the London-specific instructions and checklist.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

There's also instructions directly from London Embassy website concerning DCF. http://london.usembassy.gov/dhs/uscis/i130filing.html
Old May 13th 2012, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Hi guys,

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone here for all your advice and help. We are now in the final stages of sending the documents away to get the interview after my Police check coming through.

I do have one last question if I may;

1) On the letter sent from the London Embassy, they are asking for the DS-230 Part 1 and Part 2 along with the DS2001, do we at any point need to send through a affidavit of support and if so which forms do we use as there seems to be a few? All very confusing.

Thanks so much again for all your help and advice!!!

Old May 13th 2012, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi guys,

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone here for all your advice and help. We are now in the final stages of sending the documents away to get the interview after my Police check coming through.

I do have one last question if I may;

1) On the letter sent from the London Embassy, they are asking for the DS-230 Part 1 and Part 2 along with the DS2001, do we at any point need to send through a affidavit of support and if so which forms do we use as there seems to be a few? All very confusing.

Thanks so much again for all your help and advice!!!

The I-130 was filed in London, right? If so, you'll take the affidavit of support to your interview.

Which form(s) you need will depend on your situation. Your wife will fill out an I-864, unless she qualifies to use form I-864EZ. Does she currently meet the requirements given in the I-864 instructions?

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864instr.pdf

If not, you will need to find an alternative way to meet the requirements (note that your wife will complete an I-864 whether she meets the requirements or not).

Alternatives are laid out in the instructions. Assets such as savings can be used (although you would need 3x the difference between your wife's income and the required income). A Joint Sponsor can also be used (form I-864), as could a Household Member (form I-864A).

With more information, I could probably provide a more specific answer.

Regards,
James
Old May 13th 2012, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light

Looking back over the thread, it seems likely your wife is still in the UK.

Will her income continue from the same source after moving back to the US? If not, it can't be used on the affidavit of support. If your income will continue from the same source, then that can be used.

If not, you're looking at using either assets or a Joint Sponsor to qualify. Whichever path you choose, you'll need all the documentation prior to the interview.

Regards,
James
Old May 13th 2012, 10:54 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Reading the DS-2001 should provide the answer to your question.

Regards, JEff