Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to apply for a spouse visa after our family visitor visa expires?

Is it possible to apply for a spouse visa after our family visitor visa expires?

Old Jan 2nd 2017, 12:43 am
Just Joined

Mattjspencer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it possible to apply for a spouse visa after our family visitor visa expires?

Hey guys.

I'm a British citizen and my wife is Chinese. We are in China and my wife is employed here but I am not, so we were thinking that I should go to the UK first, find a job that meets the requirements for a spouse visa, then invite my wife over to the UK on a family visitor visa (which lasts up to 6 months), and by the time the family visitor visa expires then we can apply for a spouse visa (because I will have been at my job long enough to meet the spouse visa requirements).

If my wife is in the UK whilst I'm working then we won't have to separate for a ridiculously long period of time, but is it possible to apply for a spouse visa immediately after her family visitor visa expires?
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 12:47 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it possible to apply for a spouse visa after our family visitor visa expires?

Your plan is not unfeasible but your wife would need to return to China to apply for her spouse visa. She would not be able to apply for it from within the UK.
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 12:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it possible to apply for a spouse visa after our family visitor visa expires?

Yes, you can apply for a spouse visa immediately that a visitor visa expires but the applicant must apply from their home country.

So your wife would have to return to China to make the application.
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 2:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Your plan is not unfeasible but your wife would need to return to China to apply for her spouse visa. She would not be able to apply for it from within the UK.
Got it. Thanks for the advice
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 2:26 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Yes, you can apply for a spouse visa immediately that a visitor visa expires but the applicant must apply from their home country.

So your wife would have to return to China to make the application.
Thanks SanDiegogirl