Polygamy or not - Confused

Old Feb 8th 2016, 9:33 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Polygamy or not - Confused

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I think you are wrong.

The law in the UK states that British citizens lack the capacity to enter in to polygamous marriages.

If the British citizen had been your first wife, you might have been OK, but I suspect problem you face is that your second marriage is not recognized under UK law and this would not change even if you divorced your first wife because the second marriage was void from the outset under UK law.
Presumably he could divorce his first wife and then remarry his second wife?

Even then, might the OP have problems convincing UK immigration that it's a legitimate marriage and not just a fast track into the UK?
Old Feb 8th 2016, 9:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Presumably he could divorce his first wife and then remarry his second wife? ....
If properly executed and documented, I can't see why that wouldn't work.
Old Feb 9th 2016, 8:12 am
Just Joined

Imasha is an unknown quantity at this point

I have something i am able to find it . I am searching and will paste it here to discuss
Old Feb 9th 2016, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I think you are wrong.
So do I.

It's got nothing to do with "registering" your 1st wife in the UK.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

As I recall, when I applied for a spouse visa, we had to list any previous marriages and provide evidence that we were 'free to marry'. As both DH and I had been married before, we had to provide divorce decrees, and of course the marriage certificate was dated AFTER the date of final divorce.

I agree with other posts - UK law is the only thing that matters in these cases.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all once again . Now things are getting more clear

Vadio - Thanks for your comment . I have few questions if cleared and i will understand it correctly . Still its cloudy a bit for me and i apologies for asking

My questions are as below
1-If a husband married two one not from UK and the other from UK and he himself is not UK related but Wife is a UK Citizen . In this case Husband wouldnt get UK citizention this will this effect the Wife as she is UK citizen and UK rules says it too? Am i correct here

2-If i provided Divorce certificate do UK Embassy verify that ? say i married and divorced in a country other then UK
Old Feb 10th 2016, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

and if possible can elaborate a bit on what did you provide as an evidence that you were 'free to marry'

Last edited by Imasha; Feb 10th 2016 at 3:22 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 3:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Imasha
..... My questions are as below
1-If a husband married two one not from UK and the other from UK and he himself is not UK related but Wife is a UK Citizen . In this case Husband wouldnt get UK citizention this will this effect the Wife as she is UK citizen and UK rules says it too? Am i correct here ....
Can you rephrase or explain?
Old Feb 10th 2016, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

and if possible can elaborate a bit on what did you provide as an evidence that you were 'free to marry'
The copies of the divorce decrees, issued by the jurisdictions granting the divorces, and properly notarized as true copies of the paperwork lodged with the applicable county court.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

Hi Pulaski

Sorry if i cannot make it clear in last post but i will explain it more clear
As Polygamy is not allowed in UK and my wife is from UK i dont want her be effected from the marriage to her as i didnt divorce my first wife . In other words I am married two in a country which allows it but since my wife is married to me as per UK Rules its not allowed
Old Feb 10th 2016, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pulaski

As Polygamy is not allowed in UK and my wife is from UK i dont want her be effected from the marriage to her as i didnt divorce my first wife . In other words I am married two in a country which allows it but since my wife is married to me as per UK Rules its not allowed
Your UK citizen "wife" won't have a problem, unless & until she tries to sponsor you for a spouse visa to the UK.

At that point, you (& she) will need to provide evidence* that you (both) were free to marry when you did, according to the law.

*Yes, UK immigration authorities can & will check the documentation you provide.

Having said all that, I think you should consult an immigration lawyer (one versed in UK law), sooner rather than later. Your questions/situation are WAY beyond the scope of this forum.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 4:35 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pulaski

"Polygamous marriages legally performed in another country where the law allows it are legally recognised for the purposes of welfare benefits, but not for pension, immigration or citizenship purposes."

It would appear to be fairly clear that UK immigration will NOT recognise your marriage to your second wife. As far as they are concerned, legally your British wife remains unmarried, since the marriage that she entered into was a polygamous one. If she had been your first wife it would presumably be a different story.

I may be missing some nuance here, but it would seem straightforward:
1) UK law does not recognise polygamous marriages
2) You were already married when you married your UK citizen wife
3) She is therefore not in a legal marriage according to UK law
4) Since she is not legally married to you, she can't sponsor you for a visa

I don't think she would be in any trouble, as such - the marriage is simply not recognised.

Last edited by Wintersong; Feb 10th 2016 at 4:40 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 4:48 pm

"Polygamous marriages legally performed in another country where the law allows it are legally recognised for the purposes of welfare benefits, but not for pension, immigration or citizenship purposes."

It would appear to be fairly clear that UK immigration will NOT recognise your marriage to your second wife. As far as they are concerned, legally your British wife remains unmarried, since the marriage that she entered into was a polygamous one. If she had been your first wife it would presumably be a different story.

I don't think she would be in any trouble, as such - the marriage is simply not recognised.
I agree. What you said is substantially an extension of what I said in post #15, above.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

You aren't missing any nuance
Old Feb 10th 2016, 7:49 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Bottom line is that you'll need to divorce your first wife if you want your second British wife to sponsor you for a spouse visa to come to the UK. The only alternative would be for your second wife to sponsor you as a defacto partner which would require you to live together in a relationship akin to marriage for at least two years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.