Polygamy or not - Confused

Old Feb 6th 2016, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

Imasha is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Polygamy or not - Confused

Hi Team ,

This is my first post so HI to everyone and hope all is well with you .

I been running for months now but couldn't get any right answer until i landed in this great forum being with all of you great people and now i hope i will get my answer

My situation is as such :
I married my1st wife 5 years ago which is not a British citizen in a country which allows polygamous marriage and have 2 lovely kids and then recently i have married my 2nd wife which is British citizen and married outside British

Now my first wife wouldn't be coming to UK due the fact that she is very happy with my parents and she has no home and no parents and i am happy with her

My second wife is returning back to UK to make me sponsorship paper but i am worried is this considered as Polygamy ? As i love my second wife and want to live with her and be a helpful hand to her . I don't want to be out of law or illegal .

Please be aware that i want to live with my second wife in UK and my first wife wouldn't be coming to UK at all . I want to register my marriage to my second wife in UK as per the rules and since my first wife wouldn't be coming to UK

I thank each and everyone for taking time reading this and i apologies taking your time

God Bless you all
Imasha

Last edited by Imasha; Feb 6th 2016 at 1:19 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2016, 1:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Polygamy or not - Confused

That's an unusual question for BE, for sure!

The immigration rules for the UK are obviously only for monogamous relationships, but are applied cognizant of the fact that some countries allow polygamy. I believe that the rules applied in the UK allow immigration of polygamously married parties, but obviously only one of the wives. Polygamous relationships do not prevent individuals and one wife entering the UK.

That said, it is likely that your visa application will attract additional scrutiny if it is noted that you have two wives, so I would strongly recommend that you consult an experienced immigration lawyer.
Old Feb 6th 2016, 2:02 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Imasha

My situation is as such :

I married my1st wife 5 years ago which is not a British citizen in a country which allows polygamous marriage and have 2 lovely kids and then recently i have married my 2nd wife which is British citizen and married outside British

Now my first wife wouldn't be coming to UK due the fact that she is very happy with my parents and she has no home and no parents and i am happy with her

My second wife is returning back to UK to make me sponsorship paper but i am worried is this considered as Polygamy ?

As i love my second wife and want to live with her and be a helpful hand to her . I don't want to be out of law or illegal .

Please be aware that i want to live with my second wife in UK and my first wife wouldn't be coming to UK at all .
interesting to say the least

Did you marry both your first as well as your second wife in a religious marriage outside of the UK - if so, for sponsorship purposes the UK government want to see a legalised civil marriage certificate to recognise that marriage for sponsorship purposes.

If the marriage was registered in your country then an official in English translation will be required to accompany the application that you make.

After all the proof is together, having met, (that this is not a sham) the financial requirements etc - what about getting married in the UK in a civil marriage within 6 months of getting the visa?

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/eligibility

Originally Posted by not2old
from that link, item 3,under 'Eligibility'

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/eligibility

which categpry will you be applying under?

Joining your partner

You must prove that you and your partner are 18 or over and in a genuine relationship.

You must be one of the following:

married or civil partners
living together in a relationship for 2 years
engaged to be married or to become civil partners
You must prove that any previous relationships you or your partner had are permanently broken down.

You must also meet the financial requirement of:

£18,600 per year if you’re applying only for yourself
£22,400 per year for you and one child
£2,400 per year for each additional child

You’re engaged

You must prove that you plan to marry or become civil partners within 6 months of arriving in the UK.

Last edited by not2old; Feb 6th 2016 at 2:21 pm. Reason: added to the post
Old Feb 6th 2016, 2:05 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

for your reference, see post#20 in the link below

http://britishexpats.com/forum/citiz.../#post11859471
Old Feb 6th 2016, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...arriages-set14

Pay particular attention to this note:
(Note: No person domiciled in any part of the UK has the capacity to enter into a polygamous marriage. Section 11(d) of the Matrimonial Causes Act 1973 is the authority regarding a party domiciled in England and Wales ...)

Last edited by Shirtback; Feb 6th 2016 at 2:38 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2016, 2:38 pm
Dichotomus tinker

good find Shirtback
Old Feb 6th 2016, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old

good find Shirtback
Thank you, see my edit. Can't really take much credit - it's been in my bookmarks for a while from a paid research project .
Old Feb 6th 2016, 2:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...arriages-set14

Pay particular attention to this note:

"(Note: No person domiciled in any part of the UK has the capacity to enter into a polygamous marriage. Section 11(d) of the Matrimonial Causes Act 1973 is the authority regarding a party domiciled in England and Wales ...)"
Under UK law.

It is perfectly possible for someone to go overseas and enter into a polygamous marriage, subject to local legal requirements, but that marriage will be entirely ignored under UK law.

Things can get very messy when it comes to the legal treatment off offspring under a marriage which is void under UK law.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 6th 2016 at 3:54 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2016, 3:15 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Thank you, see my edit. Can't really take much credit - it's been in my bookmarks for a while from a paid research project .
for the OP in addition to what has been posted so far.

Related to the Polygamy, Married, Sponsorship, financial, Residence & Domicile requirements

recently i have married my 2nd wife which is British citizen and married outside British

My second wife is returning back to UK to make me sponsorship paper but i am worried is this considered as Polygamy ? As i love my second wife and want to live with her and be a helpful hand to her . I don't want to be out of law or illegal .
https://www.gov.uk/government/public.../spouses-set03

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...domicile-set15

Last edited by not2old; Feb 6th 2016 at 3:24 pm. Reason: added to the post
Old Feb 6th 2016, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Nafeesa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I am/was in a similar position.

i recieved many conflicting answers so i checked with the General Registers Office and got the official answer.

Nafeesa
Old Feb 6th 2016, 3:37 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by Nafeesa
Hi

i received many conflicting answers so i checked with the General Registers Office and got the official answer.

Nafeesa
would you kindly share the 'details' of the question you had as well as the response you received from the 'General Registry Office'?

Or, what this it in the link below?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/citiz.../#post11858933

Last edited by not2old; Feb 6th 2016 at 3:40 pm. Reason: added to the post
Old Feb 6th 2016, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nafeesa
Hi

i recieved many conflicting answers so i checked with the General Registers Office and got the official answer.

Nafeesa
Would you mind sharing the official answer?
Old Feb 7th 2016, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

Nafeesa is an unknown quantity at this point

Opps sorry - The email went to a different account:

"..However generally speaking a marriage contracted abroad will be recognised here, provided that it complied with the law of the country where it took place, the couple were free to marry and the couple had the capacity to marry under their law(s) of domicile."

So although the marriage was legal in Pakistan but my domicile is UK and hence under the UK law I was not able to marry as my decree absolute had come after my Pakistani wedding. The only alternatives are:
a. Go thru the finance route, or
b. Civil marriage

To strengthen my case I would volunteer the full information to the ECO and to prove the duration of my new marriage
Old Feb 8th 2016, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

Imasha is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for all your help . I believe my case looks different but not sure what will be the outcome .

But what i feel since i am not registering my first wife in UK then it shouldnt be matter ...I might be wrong
Old Feb 8th 2016, 7:37 pm

Thank you all for all your help . I believe my case looks different but not sure what will be the outcome .

But what i feel since i am not registering my first wife in UK then it shouldnt be matter ...I might be wrong
I think you are wrong.

The law in the UK states that British citizens lack the capacity to enter in to polygamous marriages.

If the British citizen had been your first wife, you might have been OK, but I suspect problem you face is that your second marriage is not recognized under UK law and this would not change even if you divorced your first wife because the second marriage was void from the outset under UK law.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.