British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   Please advise - queries re Spouse visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/please-advise-queries-re-spouse-visa-916255/)

Abercrombie123 Aug 19th 2018 11:14 am

Please advise - queries re Spouse visa

Hi everyone (on this wonderfully helpful forum!) - I (British citizen) am currently in the middle of completing the spouse visa for my Australian husband. I have a few questions I would love some help with:
1) How do we pick a date of intended travel to the UK? Am I right in thinking that we can't pick a date more than 3 months out from the date of application? But people are saying that it takes 3 months for the visas to be processed...this doesn't seem to leave much of a 'window'. Should I aim for a date somewhere in 2-3 months time?
2) When we do book flights, do they have to be "one-way"? We were planning to come back for a holiday, but I am worried that a return flight won't 'look good' on the application?
3) I see the 'Confirm application' button - when I hit this, will I then be told what documents I need to produce to support the application? As until now I have seen nothing in the application form about cover letters / photos of our relationship etc

Thank you so much everyone

spouse of scouse Aug 19th 2018 11:50 am

Re: Please advise - queries re Spouse visa

Originally Posted by Abercrombie123 (Post 12550876)
Hi everyone (on this wonderfully helpful forum!) - I (British citizen) am currently in the middle of completing the spouse visa for my Australian husband. I have a few questions I would love some help with:
1) How do we pick a date of intended travel to the UK? Am I right in thinking that we can't pick a date more than 3 months out from the date of application? But people are saying that it takes 3 months for the visas to be processed...this doesn't seem to leave much of a 'window'. Should I aim for a date somewhere in 2-3 months time?
2) When we do book flights, do they have to be "one-way"? We were planning to come back for a holiday, but I am worried that a return flight won't 'look good' on the application?
3) I see the 'Confirm application' button - when I hit this, will I then be told what documents I need to produce to support the application? As until now I have seen nothing in the application form about cover letters / photos of our relationship etc

Question 1 - you can choose a date up to 6 months in advance from your application date, and you get 28 days from that date to enter the UK. If your visa takes longer to process than the date you've nominated, you get 28 days from the date the visa is granted.
Question 2 - No problem at all with booking return flights. I did that too.
Question 3 - sorry, I can't remember!

Nora_ Aug 19th 2018 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Abercrombie123 (Post 12550876)

3) Nothing shows after you click confirm application regarding supporting documents.

BritInParis Aug 19th 2018 12:50 pm

1) You select a date up to six months in advance. Further into the future is better so you can travel in an orderly fashion rather than having less than four weeks to pack up and go.

2) It’s irrelevant. I wouldn’t book any flights until the visa is granted.

3) No. That information is available elsewhere. The best source would be this forum.

Abercrombie123 Aug 19th 2018 7:29 pm

As usual - thank you so much everyone for responding. Thank goodness this forum is available as there seems to be a lack of guidance on the website...
So - with regards to providing the supporting documents (eg cover letter / photos etc) - do we take these to my husbands biometric appointment, or send them off separately?

Thank you

em28 Aug 19th 2018 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by Abercrombie123 (Post 12551126)
As usual - thank you so much everyone for responding. Thank goodness this forum is available as there seems to be a lack of guidance on the website...
So - with regards to providing the supporting documents (eg cover letter / photos etc) - do we take these to my husbands biometric appointment, or send them off separately?

Thank you

They didn't look at anything other than the application form, passports, appointment letter and priority receipt (if you have chosen the service) at my appointment last week in Perth. I was told to send the supporting docs to Sheffield. They put a 'Priority' stamp on the application form and another stamp with the number of passports I had submitted. I gave them my previous passport as well - which they are happy to take as long as I had a copy of it.

Other than the priority receipt, they handed everything back to me. I was asked to print a copy of the priority receipt and include that with the application pack to be sent to Sheffield.