Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Planning to return to the UK in July 2017 - When do I need to start the application?

Planning to return to the UK in July 2017 - When do I need to start the application?

Old Aug 4th 2016, 1:30 am
  #16  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 58
Kentse1973 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Planning to return to the UK in July 2017 - When do I need to start the applicati

A friend of mine just used the HK license to quote driving insurance & was expensive. She decided to apply the UK license straight away even don't have 180 days.

Originally Posted by HKG3 View Post
Was the OP off work due to Typhoon Nida?

Your wife can drive in the UK using her Hong Kong driving licence or Hong Kong issued International Driving Permit (IDP) for up to a year. However, I would suggest your wife to get an International Driving Permit from the Hong Kong Transport Department before coming to the UK -

http://www.td.gov.hk/filemanager/com...lable_eng_.pdf

The cost of an IDP is low and it would make life a lot easier for driving in mainland Europe.
Kentse1973 is offline  
Old Aug 4th 2016, 1:34 am
  #17  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 58
Kentse1973 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Planning to return to the UK in July 2017 - When do I need to start the applicati

It should be the person who require visa to enter UK

Originally Posted by markandebony View Post
I want to create an account on the visa4uk site. It is my wife who is applying for a spouse visa so should the account be in her name or it doesn't matter? can you complete part of the application and then save it as you go along?

Thanks
Kentse1973 is offline  
Old Aug 4th 2016, 2:46 am
  #18  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 42
ArabellaTurner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Planning to return to the UK in July 2017 - When do I need to start the applicati

Originally Posted by Kentse1973 View Post
A friend of mine just used the HK license to quote driving insurance & was expensive. She decided to apply the UK license straight away even don't have 180 days.
Do you know if Australians have to switch their licences over? We once tried to insure my husband on my mum's car and it was really expensive but not sure if that was only because he didn't have any no claims in the UK?
ArabellaTurner is offline  
Old Aug 4th 2016, 4:08 am
  #19  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 58
Kentse1973 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Planning to return to the UK in July 2017 - When do I need to start the applicati

Originally Posted by ArabellaTurner View Post
Do you know if Australians have to switch their licences over? We once tried to insure my husband on my mum's car and it was really expensive but not sure if that was only because he didn't have any no claims in the UK?
If you are settled in UK.
Kentse1973 is offline  
Old Aug 4th 2016, 10:09 am
  #20  
 
BritInParis's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Not in Paris
Posts: 17,630
BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planning to return to the UK in July 2017 - When do I need to start the applicati

No point waiting to exchange your driving licence if you plan to insure a car in the UK - much cheaper to exchange straight away.
BritInParis is offline  
Old Aug 5th 2016, 2:22 am
  #21  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 39
markandebony is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Planning to return to the UK in July 2017 - When do I need to start the applicati

My wife is planning to learn to drive in Hong Kong. Once she passes she is issued with a Probationary license which she can exchange to a full HK license after 12 months.

If she gets this license in June 2017 and then we move to the UK, can she drive on that license in the UK or exchange for a full UK license?

I read that you can drive on it for three years then exchange but not clear.

Thank you
markandebony is offline  
Old Aug 5th 2016, 4:00 am
  #22  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 58
Kentse1973 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Planning to return to the UK in July 2017 - When do I need to start the applicati

Not sure about provisional license but full license can certainly exchange for a GB license.

Passing driving test in one time in HK isn't easy. Since she hasn't learnt to drive yet, maybe taking the driving test in UK is another option. Easier to pass & take shorter time.

Originally Posted by markandebony View Post
My wife is planning to learn to drive in Hong Kong. Once she passes she is issued with a Probationary license which she can exchange to a full HK license after 12 months.

If she gets this license in June 2017 and then we move to the UK, can she drive on that license in the UK or exchange for a full UK license?

I read that you can drive on it for three years then exchange but not clear.

Thank you
Kentse1973 is offline  
Old Aug 5th 2016, 4:27 am
  #23  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 39
markandebony is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Planning to return to the UK in July 2017 - When do I need to start the applicati

Thanks. My wife is thinking if learning in Chinese will be easier for her.

Originally Posted by Kentse1973 View Post
Not sure about provisional license but full license can certainly exchange for a GB license.

Passing driving test in one time in HK isn't easy. Since she hasn't learnt to drive yet, maybe taking the driving test in UK is another option. Easier to pass & take shorter time.
markandebony is offline  
Old Aug 5th 2016, 4:34 am
  #24  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 58
Kentse1973 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Planning to return to the UK in July 2017 - When do I need to start the applicati

If she can understand simple English then it shouldn't be too difficult to understand.
During the test, she can also take a Chinese speaking person as translator to come with her.

Originally Posted by markandebony View Post
Thanks. My wife is thinking if learning in Chinese will be easier for her.
Kentse1973 is offline  
Old Aug 6th 2016, 8:38 am
  #25  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,114
HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planning to return to the UK in July 2017 - When do I need to start the applicati

Originally Posted by Kentse1973 View Post
If she can understand simple English then it shouldn't be too difficult to understand.
During the test, she can also take a Chinese speaking person as translator to come with her.
I think the rules changed a few years ago. Interpreters are no longer allow on UK driving tests. All UK driving test must be done in English or Welsh.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-test/what-to-take

You can still take a friend with you, but that person can only observe and follow rules set by the DVSA.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/rules-fo...-driving-tests

This is the reason for the change in the rules -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ngham-23325612

Last edited by HKG3; Aug 6th 2016 at 8:46 am. Reason: Additional information
HKG3 is offline  
Old Aug 20th 2016, 5:16 am
  #26  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 39
markandebony is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Planning to return to the UK in July 2017 - When do I need to start the applicati

Thank you
markandebony is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.