Plab visa/tier 2 vs spouse visa

Old Jan 7th 2018, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Saff88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Plab visa/tier 2 vs spouse visa

Hello,
My husband is a british citizen, currently residing in the UK. However he's unemployed and claiming benefits just now so we can't apply for a spouse visa.
I'm a dr and i need a standard visitor visa in order to give my plab 2 exam. My question is would our circumstances hurt my application?
Secondly, once im registered with the GMC, can i apply for a tier 2 visa instead of a spouse visa if i have an offer of employment and certificate of sponsorship?
Can anyone give me any advice?

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 7th 2018, 7:44 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plab visa/tier 2 vs spouse visa

You would need to show you had strong ties to your country of residence and thus incentive to return. If your husband is residing in the UK then that may be difficult. My advice would be to fully disclose your intentions; that you are intending to attend your PLAB exam and that you will be returning to your home country afterwards before applying for a Tier 2 or spouse visa depending on circumstances. Providing you meet the requirements you can apply for either a spouse visa or a Tier 2 visa. That you're married to a British citizen doesn't mean you have to apply for a spouse visa.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You would need to show you had strong ties to your country of residence and thus incentive to return. If your husband is residing in the UK then that may be difficult. My advice would be to fully disclose your intentions; that you are intending to attend your PLAB exam and that you will be returning to your home country afterwards before applying for a Tier 2 or spouse visa depending on circumstances. Providing you meet the requirements you can apply for either a spouse visa or a Tier 2 visa. That you're married to a British citizen doesn't mean you have to apply for a spouse visa.
Oh ok. Thankyou so much.
We do have a nine month old daughter who lives with me and we are in the process of applying for her passport. Would including her details count as 'strong ties to my home country'?
I had originally thought that she could travel with me if we got her passport in time... but in that case i would have to mention leaving her behind with her grandmother...
Im not sure how that would work?
Old Jan 8th 2018, 10:25 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saff88
Oh ok. Thankyou so much.
We do have a nine month old daughter who lives with me and we are in the process of applying for her passport. Would including her details count as 'strong ties to my home country'?
I had originally thought that she could travel with me if we got her passport in time... but in that case i would have to mention leaving her behind with her grandmother...
Im not sure how that would work?
That would help your application, yes. Which country are you planning from and when do you intend to travel?
Old Jan 8th 2018, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

Pakistan. Thus the worry.
I was planning to register for the exam in august and would therefore have to travel in July.
I cant thankyou enough for your advice. Its been very encouraging.
Could you please also guide me abt the documents that are required for applying a first passport for the baby? If there is a separate post or previous thread on it?
We intend to apply for it in the end of january, so will 6 months be enough to get it?
Old Jan 8th 2018, 1:30 pm

Pakistan. Thus the worry.
I was planning to register for the exam in august and would therefore have to travel in July.
I cant thankyou enough for your advice. Its been very encouraging.
Could you please also guide me abt the documents that are required for applying a first passport for the baby? If there is a separate post or previous thread on it?
We intend to apply for it in the end of january, so will 6 months be enough to get it?
Start here: https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

First British passport applications for children born in Pakistan can take months to process. Six months may or may not be enough time to obtain a passport. I would start the application process as soon as possible. Your husband may need to be interviewed as part of the application process.

Last edited by BritInParis; Jan 8th 2018 at 3:17 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Jan 8th 2018, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Okay. Yes, i just went through the official website as well as an older thread about delays in overseas first passport applications.

And now i feel like laughing at my naivety.
I didnt know a passport application could take more than a year. But oh well, I guess this means in all probability i will have to leave my baby behind when and if i do go for my exam....
Old Jan 8th 2018, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

...Or maybe delay my exam a couple of months.

Anyway could you just please clarify one last thing?
If supposing my kid does get her passport in time can i travel with her? Even if ive previously stated in my visa application that i will be leaving her behind. Or is that a terrible idea?
Thankyou again.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 3:47 pm

Lying to immigration is always a bad idea, particularly you wish to move to the UK in the near future. I would make the decision whether to take your daughter or not before you lodge your visitor visa application.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

Lying to immigration is always a bad idea, particularly you wish to move to the UK in the near future. I would make the decision whether to take your daughter or not before you lodge your visitor visa application.

Alright. I will. Thankyou so much for all your help. Its really cleared my doubts. Thankyou
Old Jul 30th 2018, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

Hello. I had a question about applying for my plab visa.
My brother in law is sponsoring me and my husband thinks its better if he transfers the required funds to my account.
Ive read a a lot about visa rejections due to large last minute transfers/ funds parking. He thinks it should be alright if we attach both bank statements and explain it well.
Any advice?
Thanks in advance
Old Jul 30th 2018, 4:42 pm

Hello. I had a question about applying for my plab visa.
My brother in law is sponsoring me and my husband thinks its better if he transfers the required funds to my account.
Ive read a a lot about visa rejections due to large last minute transfers/ funds parking. He thinks it should be alright if we attach both bank statements and explain it well.
Any advice?
Thanks in advance
It's not so much money as the incentive to return which is likely to be your sticking point. If your husband and child are both British citizens and you hope to join your husband in the UK at a later date then it is ties to Pakistan that would concern me most as your ECO. I would suggest a covering letter explaining your situation, the examination and your intention to return to Pakistan to apply for a Tier 2 visa is vital.

If you're just coming over for your exam, I presume you won't be in the UK for very long? Personally speaking I don't think it should matter too much but I would leave the money where it is; your brother-in-law can provide his bank statement and a covering letter confirming you have financial support during your stay if required.
Old Jul 30th 2018, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

It's not so much money as the incentive to return which is likely to be your sticking point. If your husband and child are both British citizens and you hope to join your husband in the UK at a later date then it is ties to Pakistan that would concern me most as your ECO. I would suggest a covering letter explaining your situation, the examination and your intention to return to Pakistan to apply for a Tier 2 visa is vital.

If you're just coming over for your exam, I presume you won't be in the UK for very long? Personally speaking I don't think it should matter too much but I would leave the money where it is; your brother-in-law can provide his bank statement and a covering letter confirming you have financial support during your stay if required.
Okay... ive put in as much ties as i could. My employment letter. Leave from work. And il be leaving my daughter behind for the planned 16 day trip. Ive explained that it simply wont be possible for me to look after her and study. Plus it would be too many changes for her... i am including a letter from her grandmother too stating that she will be looking after her, dont know if that will carry any weight but oh well...
I thought as much about the money. Thank you i will do as you suggest.
Old Aug 20th 2018, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

Update: My visit visa application got approved! The advice I got on this forum has been invaluable. Thankyou again 😊
Old Aug 20th 2018, 9:51 am

Update: My visit visa application got approved! The advice I got on this forum has been invaluable. Thankyou again 😊
Glad to hear it