Permanent stay requirements (spouse)

Old Jul 11th 2016, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

FloydPalmer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Permanent stay requirements (spouse)

My wife arrived in the UK end of March with her stay until 2018.

I'm unsure of what will be required for to stay her permanently from 2018 onwards.

I'd like to make a start on it as I've heard the citizen test she will have to take is stringent and tough (even UK residents struggle with it I hear!).

Any links or lists detailing what will be needed would be hugely appreciated.

Thank you.
Old Jul 11th 2016, 9:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Permanent stay requirements (spouse)

You wife is on the first 2.5 years of the spouse visa.

At the end of the first 2.5 years you will have to apply for Further Leave to Remain FLR (M) for a further 2.5 years visa.

The criteria with regards this second visa is the same as her original one; financial, accommodation and relationship.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...R_M__04-16.pdf

She does not take the Life in the UK test until such time as she applies for settlement (Indefinite Leave to remain) which she does after the final 2.5 years are up i.e she has been in the UK for 5 years.

https://www.gov.uk/settle-in-the-uk
Old Jul 12th 2016, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

Life the UK is pretty easy if English is your first language, but you do have to study for it. You simply won't wing it.

I'm British but having read the book, I would pass. DH & I studied the book and he did all the questions in the book of practice tests.

On the day, it took him just 8 minutes to complete the test, and he's pretty sure he only got a couple wrong (one was definitely wrong). You only have to get 18 out of 24 and it is multiple choice.

It really is nothing to worry about for anyone with even average intelligence. We both found it fun and interesting.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and you can take it again if you do fail.

DH got the time wrong for his first booked test, so we lost the £50 but he just booked another test.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

My wife's first language isn't English so she will find it more difficult but planning on getting some material for her - even though she doesn't need to do it for a while - but to let her practise and also the books I've seen seem quite handy for her to read and learn more about the UK.

At what time would it be best to prepare the documentation etc for to renew her stay for another 2.5 years?
Old Jul 12th 2016, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FloydPalmer
My wife's first language isn't English so she will find it more difficult but planning on getting some material for her - even though she doesn't need to do it for a while - but to let her practise and also the books I've seen seem quite handy for her to read and learn more about the UK.

At what time would it be best to prepare the documentation etc for to renew her stay for another 2.5 years?
Good idea to start her on the books now (original book and the practice tests one) and in two and a half years she should breeze it!

Hopefully you are keeping all documents that will help for eventual ILR like yearly council tax bills, selection of bank statements over the years (one or two from each year), P60s if she works. The UK government started sending out yearly statements for how much taxes you paid and what they spend it on, so we should all be getting those annually from now onwards, although my first one had my name and title wrong!
Old Jul 13th 2016, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Would it not be better for the OP's wife to start studying for the Life in the UK test until about a year before getting ILR, just in case the Home Office makes any changes?
Old Jul 13th 2016, 7:29 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HKG3
Would it not be better for the OP's wife to start studying for the Life in the UK test until about a year before getting ILR, just in case the Home Office makes any changes?
Even if the the Life in the UK Test changes a 'pass' remains valid and does not expire so you can take it at any time.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

Is there a book/disc for the Life in the UK test recommended to get?
Old Jul 13th 2016, 10:58 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FloydPalmer
Is there a book/disc for the Life in the UK test recommended to get?
There's a couple of different versions of the official one produced by the government. You can also buy an independently produced one from WH Smith and online. The one I got my other half ("Three books in one" and a CD-ROM) is this one.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

Kentse1973 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritInParis
There's a couple of different versions of the official one produced by the government. You can also buy an independently produced one from WH Smith and online. The one I got my other half ("Three books in one" and a CD-ROM) is this one.
http://www.lifeintheuktestweb.co.uk/

I found this ☝🏻️ Web site quite useful