Passports for returning

Old Jan 30th 2008, 2:34 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passports for returning

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Well, people have told me that, and you're another on. So, I'm not going out and buying Aus passports for the OH and kids, they shall return to UK on their British ones. To test this, I will take both my passports with me and leave Perth on my British one to see if they say anything.
You may get a lecture at the immigration exit passport check.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 4:01 am
sullysdownunder

wayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to behold

Hi , Sorry to jump into the thread but have i got this right..........

My son is a Australian citizens by descent and he as got a aussie passport , we are returning home after doing 18months here , so does that mean cause he as not done a full 2 year that if he wanted to emigrate later in life with his children he would not be allowed to take them ???

Hope ive worded that right

cheers
Old Jan 30th 2008, 11:54 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wayne/kerrie
Hi , Sorry to jump into the thread but have i got this right..........

My son is a Australian citizens by descent and he as got a aussie passport , we are returning home after doing 18months here , so does that mean cause he as not done a full 2 year that if he wanted to emigrate later in life with his children he would not be allowed to take them ???
He cannot pass on his Australian citizenship by descent until he clocks up a full 2 years (730 days) in Australia. But maybe he can go back himself later on - study, working holiday etc?

Otherwise he would need to sponsor any of his future children to migrate and have them naturalised.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 12:37 pm
to be or not to be...

bluejohn has a spectacular aura aboutbluejohn has a spectacular aura aboutbluejohn has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Well this is all very odd. I have both British and Aussie passport but only used my Brit one when i left and my Aussie one when i returned
I always leave and enter Australia this way except once, when I attempted to leave the UK on an Australian passport I was stopped on my way out and made to explain why. We will make sure when we return this time that we have our UK passports.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

Just to let you know not to make the same mistake I have......

When you become an Australian citizen your P.R visa is cancelled. You must have an Australian passport to leave or enter Australia!

Hence, I am having to make an emergency dash to the passport office in Perth this arvo to get my Aussie passport because I thought I could still travel on my UK one.
Hi Tracy,

I'm sure you can just use you British passport going in and out as you are still a British citizen. You do need to get an Aussie passport at some point though otherwise because it's proof you are an Aussie citizen.

If I was you I'd just book a one way ticket

Jo
Old Feb 1st 2008, 10:53 pm
Just Joined

rparsons66 has a brilliant futurerparsons66 has a brilliant futurerparsons66 has a brilliant futurerparsons66 has a brilliant futurerparsons66 has a brilliant futurerparsons66 has a brilliant future

Well, people have told me that, and you're another on. So, I'm not going out and buying Aus passports for the OH and kids, they shall return to UK on their British ones. To test this, I will take both my passports with me and leave Perth on my British one to see if they say anything.
HI Tracy,
We have just done this. You cannot re-enter Aus withot an Australian passport even if you are a citizen if you have had your PR cancelled. We learnt the hard way. OH had to fly back to the UK in an emergency and as he left the country on his UK passport they told him he would not be allowed back into OZ without an Aussie passport, which he had to sort out in London. They said he would be detained even if only temporarily - not worth the hassle!!! They usually like you to leave on your Oz passport, go into UK on your UK and then leave UK and arrive in Oz on your Aussie passports.

Our experience anyway.
Becky
(Now back in perth for 3 years after a wonderful year back in the UK )
Old Feb 1st 2008, 11:14 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rparsons66
HI Tracy,
We have just done this. You cannot re-enter Aus withot an Australian passport even if you are a citizen if you have had your PR cancelled. We learnt the hard way. OH had to fly back to the UK in an emergency and as he left the country on his UK passport they told him he would not be allowed back into OZ without an Aussie passport, which he had to sort out in London. They said he would be detained even if only temporarily - not worth the hassle!!! They usually like you to leave on your Oz passport, go into UK on your UK and then leave UK and arrive in Oz on your Aussie passports.

Our experience anyway.
Becky

Hey Becky, thanks for the PM by the way But I really think you should share your opinions with all of us wannabe returnee's, maybe it would really help someone. We all need to step onto UK soil with our eyes wide open and not with rose tinted hues anywhere in sight.

So, could you share with us all how it all went when you where back there, where did you live, what did you feel etc......oh, and most importantly, why the bloody hell you've come back here?!!!
Old Feb 4th 2008, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Just to let you know not to make the same mistake I have......

When you become an Australian citizen your P.R visa is cancelled. You must have an Australian passport to leave or enter Australia!

Hence, I am having to make an emergency dash to the passport office in Perth this arvo to get my Aussie passport because I thought I could still travel on my UK one.
When we became citizens we recieved our passports but our British ones had ran out...all we did was apply for our British Passports......over the internet...via Canberra and recieved our Britsh Passports in about 2 weeks....we now have both and when we travelled around Europe (you still had to have your passports then) we used our British ones....)..heaven forbid if I would of let them "go"...my OH and sons would never forgive me!!!!
Good luck and all the best for your holiday...........................may the weather be kind to you as it was to us last year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 4th 2008, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rparsons66
HI Tracy,

Our experience anyway.
Becky
Yes thats how we travel very easy and to tell you the truth the look on our sons faces when they hold their British Passports on their arrivals in the U.K.......they do look so proud.....honestly......
Old Feb 4th 2008, 1:31 am
Just Joined

rparsons66 has a brilliant futurerparsons66 has a brilliant futurerparsons66 has a brilliant futurerparsons66 has a brilliant futurerparsons66 has a brilliant futurerparsons66 has a brilliant future

Hey Becky, thanks for the PM by the way But I really think you should share your opinions with all of us wannabe returnee's, maybe it would really help someone. We all need to step onto UK soil with our eyes wide open and not with rose tinted hues anywhere in sight.

So, could you share with us all how it all went when you where back there, where did you live, what did you feel etc......oh, and most importantly, why the bloody hell you've come back here?!!!
Hmmm, I could and I will, but it's a long story and right now I dont have the time or the energy to try and put it down into coherent thoughts!!!

Will try and get to it ....