Which passport to use? 🤔

Old Jun 13th 2019, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

fastrhino will become famous soon enough
Default Which passport to use? 🤔

Hi peeps
I have a UK and Australian Passport both are current.

I am coming to the UK in August and want to know which passport to use. I was planning to use my UK passport to return to the UK and my Australian one going back to Perth.

Has anyone done this?
Old Jun 13th 2019, 11:21 am
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which passport to use? 🤔

That is how you should do it...... at least that's how I do it with my Canadian and UK Passports. Most UK Passports just let you scan a UK Passport and you walk through (saves a lot of hassle) Canada actually changed the law recently and now as a Canadian Citizen you have to enter Canada on your Canadian Passport I'm not sure whether Australian Dual Citizens are allowed to use passports from other countries to enter Australia?
Old Jun 13th 2019, 12:31 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

British passport at the UK border, Australian for Australia. Just use the automatic gates at each end.
Old Jun 13th 2019, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

happy-go-lucky-lass is an unknown quantity at this point

I did this last month, and used my British passport to enter/leave the UK. Used my Australian passport for leaving/re-entering Australia. Didn't really matter when leaving but makes a difference when entering the country as can use eGates at both end.

For info, Australian ePassport holders are now also able to use eGates on arrival in the UK, which doesn't really affect you if you have a British passport but just means the queue going through eGates is likely to be longer.
Old Jun 13th 2019, 11:38 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

It's more about your entitlement to enter the country without a visa so, as everyone says, do as you're thinking to do.
Old Jun 14th 2019, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happy-go-lucky-lass
I did this last month, and used my British passport to enter/leave the UK. Used my Australian passport for leaving/re-entering Australia. Didn't really matter when leaving but makes a difference when entering the country as can use eGates at both end.
Australia had border controls on leaving when we were there in 2014, have they changed that? If not then presenting your British Passport to them will raise questions as Australians are supposed to enter and leave Australia on their Australian passports.

Last edited by durham_lad; Jun 14th 2019 at 7:44 am.
Old Jun 14th 2019, 8:09 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

To clarify:

Leave Oz - Oz passport
Arrive UK - UK passport
Leave UK - Oz passport
Arrive Oz - Oz passport
Old Jun 14th 2019, 8:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by durham_lad

Australia had border controls on leaving when we were there in 2014, have they changed that? If not then presenting your British Passport to them will raise questions as Australians are supposed to enter and leave Australia on their Australian passports

They have the eGates but no, they don't really give a monkey's when you are leaving the country. Yes, it's recommended that you present your Australian passport but realistically you could use whatever passport you like to leave. It's only an issue when arriving in Australia, as I'd need to show Immigration my Australian passport to prove that I'm an Australian citizen.

I'll try it when I go back next month, and let you know if anything untoward happens when I return to Oz. )

Last edited by happy-go-lucky-lass; Jun 14th 2019 at 8:23 am.
Old Jun 14th 2019, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happy-go-lucky-lass
They have the eGates but no, they don't really give a monkey's when you are leaving the country. Yes, it's recommended that you present your Australian passport but realistically you could use whatever passport you like to leave. It's only an issue when arriving in Australia, as I'd need to show Immigration my Australian passport to prove that I'm an Australian citizen.

I'll try it when I go back next month, and let you know if anything untoward happens when I return to Oz. )
Thanks, please let us know.

In 2014 we spent 5 months in Australia and while there left from Brisbane to go to Vanuatu, from Sydney to go to NZ and again from Sydney to travel back home. On each occasion after checking in and heading off to the departure gates we had to go through border control, show our passports and complete an exit card. This exit passport check was to ensure that we had been staying legally in Australia. When my Dad left Australia after a 3 month stay with by brother they noticed that he had overstayed his visa by 3 days, could have fined him and/or made him pay for a 6 month visa but took pity on an old man and let him leave as is.
Old Jun 14th 2019, 12:59 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You’ll be flagged up if you try to leave Australia on a non-Australian passport having entered the country on an Australian passport as you’ll have no record of entering or holding a visa. Not recommended.
Old Jun 15th 2019, 2:03 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You’ll be flagged up if you try to leave Australia on a non-Australian passport having entered the country on an Australian passport as you’ll have no record of entering or holding a visa. Not recommended.
Thanks for the heads-up, BritInParis, I'd best not try that then!
Old Jun 15th 2019, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

fastrhino will become famous soon enough

I will leave the country on my Aussie passport and enter the UK on my UK passport and visa versa coming back.

Problem solved. both UK and Australia with have an entry and exit recorded for me.
Old Jun 15th 2019, 4:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

British passport at the UK border, Australian for Australia. Just use the automatic gates at each end.
I have often wondered about this, as I have family members who are both British and American, or British and Australian. What I have wondered is if one leaves the UK on a British passport, but then the person enters the USA on an American passport, in this age of heightened security wouldn't the Americans with all their snooping technology match up the passport presented to airlines to leave UK with the passport used to enter the USA ?
Old Jun 15th 2019, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by morpeth
I have often wondered about this, as I have family members who are both British and American, or British and Australian. What I have wondered is if one leaves the UK on a British passport, but then the person enters the USA on an American passport, in this age of heightened security wouldn't the Americans with all their snooping technology match up the passport presented to airlines to leave UK with the passport used to enter the USA ?
If for some reason you have applied for and received a US ESTA visa for your British passport even though you have a US passport then the airline won’t care at check in and neither will US immigration if you present a US passport. If US immigration even question that you checked in with a British passport you simply say you made a mistake.

The only problem would be if it was obvious from your British passport that you are also American then it is the airline’s responsibility to insist on a US passport. This is what happened to Boris Johnston when he and his family tried to board a flight to Mexico via Houston in 2006. All had British passports with the correct visas but his had place of birth as New York so it was obvious he was a US citizen. Boris was refused permission to board and his family left without him.