Passport for US daughter?

Old Oct 29th 2017, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

pollybegoode is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Passport for US daughter?

Hello,

I'm a UK citizen moving back to the UK with my US husband and our US daughter.
Do I need to apply for a UK passport for my daughter before we apply for the Spouse visa?
Also, do you know how much extra we need to prove in savings for our daughter? I know it's 62.500 pounds for my husband and I.
Also, the savings are kindly being gifted to us, do they need to be in a bank account in our name?

Thank you on advance!

Last edited by moneypenny20; Oct 30th 2017 at 1:47 am. Reason: Moved to own thread.
Old Oct 30th 2017, 12:34 am
Just Joined

Britlulu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: U.K. Spouse visa for US husband

If you are British born get your daughters first overseas British passport, all together it'll cost $94 and that includes the fees to send the documents and passport back. All you need to do is provide your birth certificate, her birth certificate, your parents passport numbers or their birth certificates. That way she's considered British and you won't need to sponsor her. It was so quick, I literally had my daughter passport in hand within 2 weeks!
Old Oct 30th 2017, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pollybegoode
Hello,
I couldn't locate where to post my own post, so I hope it's ok that I've asked a question on this thread!

I'm a UK citizen moving back to the UK with my US husband and our US daughter.
Do I need to apply for a UK passport for my daughter before we apply for the Spouse visa?
Also, do you know how much extra we need to prove in savings for our daughter? I know it's 62.500 pounds for my husband and I.
Also, the savings are kindly being gifted to us, do they need to be in a bank account in our name?

Thank you on advance!
Yes, apply for your daughters UK passport before applying for the spouse visa as it makes life a little simpler! Then you will only need the £62500 savings BUT these have to be in your name, or joint names with your partner, you must have held them for 6 months in an instant access account. You say you are being gifted this money - 1. You need a letter from the donor stating they are an outright gift with no repayment wanted and where the funds come from - life savings etc. 2. With the funds, open an instant access savings account then after 6 months you can apply for the spouse visa, your daughter will have her UK passport and you can all travel back to the UK together!

Last edited by quiltman; Oct 30th 2017 at 12:48 am. Reason: correction
Old Oct 30th 2017, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

Thanks, Britlulu. Are you referring to the MN1 form? ( Application to register a child as a British Citizen)
If so, thats great and I will get on it today!
Old Oct 30th 2017, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

Thank you quiltman!
Old Oct 30th 2017, 5:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport for US daughter?

If you daughter is your biological daughter and you were born in the UK, then your daughter is already a British citizen (by descent if she was born in the US).

You need only apply for her passport.
Old Oct 30th 2017, 8:33 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport for US daughter?

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports