Passport question re: our baby due in July

Old Nov 6th 2020, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

pollybegoode is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Passport question re: our baby due in July

Originally Posted by reenie87
Hi everyone, hope it’s ok for me to jump into this thread. Our situation is very similar so it would be great to get further insight on this and know what you ended up doing Pollybegoode? I hope everything went well for you!?

I am British and my husband is Canadian. We live together in Canada. We are expecting our first child end of March 2021 and the intention is to apply for my husbands spouse visa prior to my due date so we can move home to the UK as soon as possible after the baby is born. We will apply for the baby’s British passport once he is born so we will not have to declare him as a dependant on my husbands application BUT... the application also asks “will you be travelling with any children”. If we all travel together then the answer will be yes. We will then have to provide the baby’s DoB, passport info etc.

This will significantly delay us submitting the spouse visa application as we can’t provide that information until he is born and until we have his passport. If my husband travelled separately without us could he answer no and therefore not have to provide any of that information? Are we breaking any rules by doing that?

BritinParis & Pulaski, I would really appreciate your thoughts on this? Thank you!
hi Reenie87,

We decided to apply for our babies UK and US passports first and once we receive the UK passport we will apply for the spouse visa. We only applied a month ago and I’m not sure of how long the UK passports are taking from overseas and with the current pandemic, but we’re hoping to apply for the spouse visa at the end of this year.
Best of luck to you with the birth of your baby and the move!
Old Nov 7th 2020, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

reenie87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pollybegoode
hi Reenie87,

We decided to apply for our babies UK and US passports first and once we receive the UK passport we will apply for the spouse visa. We only applied a month ago and I’m not sure of how long the UK passports are taking from overseas and with the current pandemic, but we’re hoping to apply for the spouse visa at the end of this year.
Best of luck to you with the birth of your baby and the move!
I’m sorry it’s taking so long for you to get your newborn’s passport, obviously due the the current lockdown in the UK. From what I read on gov.uk, the typical timeline for passport applications overseas are 3 weeks so hopefully you will receive it before the new year. Would be great to hear how you get on with everything, keep us posted if you can. Best of luck to you and your family. I hope everything goes smoothly for you!
Old Nov 8th 2020, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If you’re applying before the baby is born then they don’t legally exist so can’t be included on the application. If they are born by the time you travel then so long as they have a British passport then there’s no issue.
Hi BritinParis,

sorry just for final clarity and my sanity and peace of mind... the home office will see from the application as the sponsor that I have started to receive maternity payment benefits as I am starting my maternity a month before the baby is due (I thought it was important to disclose this information as I don’t want the HO to call my employer and find out I’m on maternity leave!).

As you mentioned at the time of application the baby hasn’t been born yet and therefore does not legally exist BUT the child will be born likely before the visa is granted and the HO is also aware I’m pregnant due to the maternity pay. With respect to the question about travelling with children that are not dependents I’m still really confused! Is it enough to simply explain that the child hasn’t been born yet and we intend to get his British passport after birth? I feel like this could get refused.

we really don’t want to wait to apply after we have received the baby’s passport, it will put us months behind and potentially separate us but I also don’t want to be refused because we don’t have the baby’s information yet.

Would appreciate your opinion! Thanks!!!
Old Nov 8th 2020, 3:32 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The information on the application only needs to be accurate at the time of application and from a practical perspective you can’t add a child who does not have a birth date yet let alone a passport. It won’t be a reason for refusal but for peace of mind you can always mention your pregnancy in your covering letter.
Old Nov 8th 2020, 6:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

If push comes to shove with regards timing, you could not get a UK passport for baby and on arrival at the UK the child will be admitted as a visitor (you'll need to show his birth certificate, yours and husband etc etc) and you'll be told to get a passport asap. It's a hassle but other have done it.
NOTE: without a passport the child will only be eligible for emergency treatment in the UK........(as a visitor)
Old Nov 8th 2020, 7:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by reenie87
Hi BritinParis,

sorry just for final clarity and my sanity and peace of mind... the home office will see from the application as the sponsor that I have started to receive maternity payment benefits as I am starting my maternity a month before the baby is due (I thought it was important to disclose this information as I don’t want the HO to call my employer and find out I’m on maternity leave!).
Can you explain the above.... are you intending to enter the UK while on maternity leave? Presumably your maternity payments from Canada (where you currently live) are not going to continue in the UK (?) and you are not going to get maternity pay in the UK; also is a company going to offer you a job while you are on maternity leave? So how are you going to show UK income on your application.? Must admit your proposed plans are really confusing me....
Old Nov 8th 2020, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
The information on the application only needs to be accurate at the time of application and from a practical perspective you can’t add a child who does not have a birth date yet let alone a passport. It won’t be a reason for refusal but for peace of mind you can always mention your pregnancy in your covering letter.
ok thank you!!! This is very clear and makes sense. I appreciate your help!