Passport for child with Right of Abode already

Old Sep 16th 2021, 1:37 am
Just Joined

yingdonguk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Passport for child with Right of Abode already

Hi all.

I'm hoping somebody might have been in this situation and know the answer.

My son was born in China and has a Chinese passport. Because China doesn't allow dual citizenship, he has had the 'Right of Abode' certificate in his passport for the last 8 years. The latest one is due to expire next year, along with his Chinese passport.

This time I would like to just get a British passport for him instead and scrap the Chinese one. What I want to know is, can I apply for British passport while he has an active Right of Abode certificate? Or do we need to let it expire before applying for the passport?

Any help with this would be appreciated. As is often the case, there doesn't seem to be any clear answer online.

Thank you!
Old Sep 17th 2021, 11:06 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport for child with Right of Abode already

This shouldn’t be an issue. Your son will just not be permitted to apply for another certificate once the current one expires.