British Expats

British Expats (
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (
-   -   Passport for child with Right of Abode already (

yingdonguk Sep 16th 2021 2:37 am

Passport for child with Right of Abode already
Hi all.

I'm hoping somebody might have been in this situation and know the answer.

My son was born in China and has a Chinese passport. Because China doesn't allow dual citizenship, he has had the 'Right of Abode' certificate in his passport for the last 8 years. The latest one is due to expire next year, along with his Chinese passport.

This time I would like to just get a British passport for him instead and scrap the Chinese one. What I want to know is, can I apply for British passport while he has an active Right of Abode certificate? Or do we need to let it expire before applying for the passport?

Any help with this would be appreciated. As is often the case, there doesn't seem to be any clear answer online.

Thank you!

BritInParis Sep 18th 2021 12:06 am

Re: Passport for child with Right of Abode already
This shouldn’t be an issue. Your son will just not be permitted to apply for another certificate once the current one expires.

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:19 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.