Passing on British citizenship - the the UK forum

Old Mar 27th 2018, 2:18 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passing on British citizenship

Originally Posted by Saff_Parker
Apologies for bringing up a really old thread but you seem to know your stuff so I wanted to ask the question if that's ok!

In regards to point (a) in your above post, is 'registration' as a British citizen the same as receiving a passport? I.E. if I register my baby as a British citizen (born outside the UK to a Brit-by-descent) will they receive the British passport or is 'registration' a certificate of some kind?

Thank you
Registration as a British citizen would entail sending an application to the Home Office in Liverpool. Once approved you will receive a Certificate of Registration as a British Citizen in the post. You can then use that certificate to apply to HM Passport Office for a British passport.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Registration as a British citizen would entail sending an application to the Home Office in Liverpool. Once approved you will receive a Certificate of Registration as a British Citizen in the post. You can then use that certificate to apply to HM Passport Office for a British passport.
Understood, thank you very much!
Old Mar 27th 2018, 2:21 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Understood, thank you very much!
You're very welcome. I would encourage to read back through the thread and understand the disadvantages of S.3(2) registration. S.3(5) registration is a much preferable option if at all possible.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You're very welcome. I would encourage to read back through the thread and understand the disadvantages of S.3(2) registration. S.3(5) registration is a much preferable option if at all possible.
Completely understood.
Unfortunately I don't think I (British by Descent) will live in the UK with my child for three consecutive years in the near future so I would have to go with option S.3(2), even if it means my grandchild would not be able to obtain British citizenship and passport.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 4:27 pm

Completely understood.
Unfortunately I don't think I (British by Descent) will live in the UK with my child for three consecutive years in the near future so I would have to go with option S.3(2), even if it means my grandchild would not be able to obtain British citizenship and passport.
You have until they are 18 to register them so unless there's a burning need for them to have a British passport it might be an idea to hold on and see what happens. Obviously the decision is yours but once registered under S.3(2) they can't be 're-registered' under S.3(5) even if they do spend the requisite three years in the UK with you.
Old Jun 13th 2019, 7:29 am
Just Joined

BritLivingAbroad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Passing on British citizenship - the the UK forum

Coming back to this very helpful thread.

So I am British by descent. However, my partner is not British.

Can I confirm that only one parent needs to have British Citizenship to be able to apply for the child to get either British by descent or otherwise than by descent [either via Section 3(2) or Section3(5)]?
Or do both parents need to be British?

Thanks

Last edited by BritLivingAbroad; Jun 13th 2019 at 7:36 am.
Old Jun 13th 2019, 12:21 pm

Default Re: Passing on British citizenship - the the UK forum

Originally Posted by BritLivingAbroad
Coming back to this very helpful thread.

So I am British by descent. However, my partner is not British.

Can I confirm that only one parent needs to have British Citizenship to be able to apply for the child to get either British by descent or otherwise than by descent [either via Section 3(2) or Section3(5)]?
Or do both parents need to be British?

Thanks
Only one is needed.