Partner of British citizen by birth

Old Aug 6th 2016, 5:41 am
Just Joined

Siid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Partner of British citizen by birth

Hey guys

My mom was born in Uk in 1968 and at the age of 5 she moved with her parents on their passport to India and never went outside India and never applied british or indian passport.
As she have already applied for her passport and its been 10 month and have not got any update from BHC. On calling them they say the application is still under 'Security Checks'

The question is if she gets her passport

Me and my younger brother are eligible for British Passport as my mom and dad were married before we were born.

Is my father also eligible for British Passport ? As they are married and living together since than. If not is he able to get like permanent leave to remain in UK.

Thanks

Siid
Old Aug 6th 2016, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Partner of British citizen by birth

Originally Posted by Siid
Hey guys

My mom was born in Uk in 1968 and at the age of 5 she moved with her parents on their passport to India and never went outside India and never applied british or indian passport.
As she have already applied for her passport and its been 10 month and have not got any update from BHC. On calling them they say the application is still under 'Security Checks'

The question is if she gets her passport

Me and my younger brother are eligible for British Passport as my mom and dad were married before we were born.

Is my father also eligible for British Passport ? As they are married and living together since than. If not is he able to get like permanent leave to remain in UK.

Thanks

Siid
Siid

Your father will not be entitle to a British passport because your mother is a British Citizen.

Your father will need to apply for an UK spouse visa in order to live in the UK with your mother. Please see link below for details -

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/overview

In order to get an UK spouse visa, your mother, the British Citizen sponsor, will need to fulfill a number of requirements set out in the above link. The main one is the financial requirement, which your mother, as the sponsor, will need to have (in simple terms) either -

1) a job in the UK with an annual income of £18,600 for six months or
2) savings worth £62,500 held for six months or more

Please read the above link carefully with regards to all the Home Office requirements for an UK spouse visa.
Old Aug 6th 2016, 7:52 am
Just Joined

Thanks buddy

So me and my younger brother are eligible for the passport right??

And is there any time scale for the Security Clecks to be clear.

Siid
Old Aug 6th 2016, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks buddy

So me and my younger brother are eligible for the passport right??

Siid
From my limited understanding, if you were born before the 1 January 1983, then you can apply for British Citizenship using form UKM. Please see link below -

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...tizen-form-ukm

On the other hand, if you were born on or after 1 January 1983, then you would have been automatically a British Citizen. All you need to do is to apply for a British passport using the link below -

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

All British passport productions were centralize in the UK and the British High Commissions overseas no longer issue standard 10 year British passports.

Please note that either way - your are a British Citizen by descent which means that you cannot automatically pass on your British Citizenship to your children born outside the UK.
Old Aug 6th 2016, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

There is a similar case in this forum not that long ago, this case could acts as a reference point as to how long these checks will take. Please see link below -

http://britishexpats.com/forum/citiz...escent-817714/
Old Aug 6th 2016, 8:38 am
Just Joined

Ya i read that forms basically that the case for the British nationality by descent.

But in my mum's case as she born there and got a birth certificate as well which we have summitted at the start of the application is still 10 months+. On asking BHC they say still under 'examination' further clearing security checks.

I have called them 4 weeks back and they said Security Checks from UK has cleared only overseas (India) Security Checks left.
But when I call them last week they say its still under examination getting security checks done on asking them if the UK Security Checks has been cleared she said it does say any where on the notes section and told me its under examination.

Is this the normal timescale for the adult first British passport? As i have read it take long time for the first child passport.

Thanks again

Siid
Old Aug 6th 2016, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Ya i read that forms basically that the case for the British nationality by descent.

But in my mum's case as she born there and got a birth certificate as well which we have summitted at the start of the application is still 10 months+. On asking BHC they say still under 'examination' further clearing security checks.

I have called them 4 weeks back and they said Security Checks from UK has cleared only overseas (India) Security Checks left.
But when I call them last week they say its still under examination getting security checks done on asking them if the UK Security Checks has been cleared she said it does say any where on the notes section and told me its under examination.

Is this the normal timescale for the adult first British passport? As i have read it take long time for the first child passport.

Thanks again

Siid
I don't think there is a 'normal' timescale. It will take as long as it takes.

As a British Citizen (if you are born on or after 1 January 1983), you may wish to consider applying for a certificate of entitlement to be put onto your own Indian passport at your local British High Commission in lieu of a British Citizen passport. You can see details below -

https://www.gov.uk/right-of-abode/overview

Having a certificate of entitlement in your Indian passport means that you will be treated as a British Citizen at UK immigration check points.
Old Aug 6th 2016, 9:53 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If your mother was born in the UK in 1968 but has never previously held a British passport and is applying from India then expect processing times of at least 12 months.

She should also be aware that applying for a British passport will cause her to automatically lose her Indian citizenship. The same would go for you and your brother.