Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Parents wont cosponsor fiance for K1 - looks like Im moving to UK.

Parents wont cosponsor fiance for K1 - looks like Im moving to UK.

Old Apr 19th 2010, 1:31 pm
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Parents wont cosponsor fiance for K1 - looks like Im moving to UK.

Originally Posted by ajb1701
Ok yes Jeremy Kyle is a bad example to use but I think a few of us are thinking the same thing here. There is no realistic way to establish whether the guy really loves her or her passport a lie detector test will never happen the reason immigration doesn't polygraph marriage applicants is because too many people would probably fail it so it is a real easy way into the states most marriages are not even looked at that closely by all accounts

So how can the OP best proceed? She either has to say to the guy what I advised or something to that effect and then she will know, like rete said she could be his only chance to live in the states. Or get a co signer who will be on the hook for years for the guy financially or wait a couple more years and see if u can improve the financial situation but there is no gaurantee that will improve. She hasn't said whether he has assets he can bring to the table and if he doesn't want her to move to England and again she hasn't said he does or doesn't

Let me ask you Tracy would you do the same thing I have advised Katrina to do if you were in this situation? We can't further advise until she posts back her thoughts
Would I ask my fiance to take a polygraph? No.

Honestly reading your posts in this thread and others, I have no idea what you're on about 99% of the time.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 2:57 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TracyTN
Would I ask my fiance to take a polygraph? No.

Honestly reading your posts in this thread and others, I have no idea what you're on about 99% of the time.
Ian has the answer:
Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Blah, blah, blah... everything you write is just getting more and more idiotic. You've now become a total waste of my time.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 3:15 pm
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Ian has the answer:
Old Apr 19th 2010, 8:34 pm
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute

My husband would have been gutted too if he couldnt move here and it would have put us in an even HARDER position to move to the UK. Maybe the OP's fiancee was looking forward to a new start at life with his new wife?

Maybe he didn't want his wife in a country where job hunting is hard and most must use agencies to secure a job without security until a contract is offered?

Just maybe, I hope OP comes back to answer!
Old Apr 19th 2010, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agentpeppermint
if you are EVER in St Helens, stop
.....NO! Keep on moving!!
Old Apr 19th 2010, 9:00 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe he didn't want his wife in a country where job hunting is hard and most must use agencies to secure a job without security until a contract is offered?
With every iota of due respect, there is nothing easy about job hunting in the US! I'm glad that your husband was able to find work upon his arrival, but many are finding it an extremely difficult and long-drawn-out process.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

Chris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud of

to be honest the word 'gutted' set off an alarm in my head... unfortunately there are a lot of horrible people in the world
Old Apr 19th 2010, 9:22 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Can I put forth an idea that perhaps because the OP is a USC, she doesn't understand the exact meaning of "gutted"? Perhaps her UK fiance didn't even use that word. Perhaps she is just saying that because she heard it a few times and doesn't really know the culture or meaning behind it.

I say that because I am a USC and I've heard this term "gutted" (which we don't say in the USA at all) on this forum and from a couple of British friends. In my mind, it means "greatly disappointed". But see, I could be wrong...maybe it's meaning is stronger than that, and I just don't know, because that slang word does not exist in my vocabulary.

I think we should give the OP a break about using the word "gutted", and just assume her fiance was disappointed in the turn of events which might not bring him to the USA. I'm pretty sure most of our non-USC fiances and spouses would have felt disappointed at the thought of not being able to immigrate, as well.

Rene
Old Apr 19th 2010, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

Chris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud of

good point
Old Apr 19th 2010, 11:01 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I think we should give the OP a break about using the word "gutted", and just assume her fiance was disappointed in the turn of events which might not bring him to the USA. I'm pretty sure most of our non-USC fiances and spouses would have felt disappointed at the thought of not being able to immigrate, as well.

Rene
Thank you, Rene. I agree 100%.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 1:24 am
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
With every iota of due respect, there is nothing easy about job hunting in the US! I'm glad that your husband was able to find work upon his arrival, but many are finding it an extremely difficult and long-drawn-out process.
I guess where I live it's not so hard to find a job.... and on a note, any sentence that begins with Out of all due respect and no offense...is always a negative comment.

Even when I was in NY it wasn't hard to find a job... Some people just wont settle for an entry level position, I wont take anything that pays less than 2 dollars more than min wage, therefore lowering my job pool...Theres a reason why people aren't being hired in this economy and I am certain that it is NOT because there are NO jobs, because, there are.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 12:25 pm
Instigator of the Post

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Can I put forth an idea that perhaps because the OP is a USC, she doesn't understand the exact meaning of "gutted"? Perhaps her UK fiance didn't even use that word. Perhaps she is just saying that because she heard it a few times and doesn't really know the culture or meaning behind it.

I say that because I am a USC and I've heard this term "gutted" (which we don't say in the USA at all) on this forum and from a couple of British friends. In my mind, it means "greatly disappointed". But see, I could be wrong...maybe it's meaning is stronger than that, and I just don't know, because that slang word does not exist in my vocabulary.

Rene
Agreed. I think I would have described (now) hubby's reaction to having to stay in the UK that way, but he probably wouldn't have - if we had been the couple in this scenario. There was very little he liked about the UK but we would have coped if I had to move over there. He, like me, was just ready to be together at that point, no matter where that was.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 12:41 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Did mean to open a hornets' nest with my response. Gutted is actually a long used phrase here in the NY area. When used it means, stunned, unbelieving, incomprehensible.

I also know that the USC is more than willing to live in the UK and there is no problem with that which is why I asked her about permission from her daughter's father for removal of the daughter from the US.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 1:38 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

and on a note, any sentence that begins with Out of all due respect and no offense...is always a negative comment.
But can't one post a negative response when you believe that a post is giving an incorrect picture and at the same time indicate that you have respect for the person with whom you are disagreeing? I believed your post to be incorrect, and felt it important to say so, but understand that, as a familiar poster used to say "your mileage may differ."
Old Apr 20th 2010, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

katrinacov is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow. So many responses! I havent checked this in a while. Sorry!

Ok. So my parents wont co sponsor because they are nervous about co sponsoring an immigrant and then if somehting happens between us they are still required to support him. My dad has also co sponsored on a load of university loans, and doesnt feel confortable, they are financially able to.

As far as the word "gutted" maybe I was using it wrong? It seems from all the responses I was...he was just disapointed because we BOTH wanted to live in the USA. He says that USA is a better place, more things to do, better weather, safer, friendlier etc. But he is fine with me moving there...he says as long as we are together it doesnt matter where we are. So I am moving over there and he is fine with it. I wish that I could afford to sponsor him myself but thats just simply not possible. I trust him and know that he wouldnt have stayed with me through all thats happend recently in my life if he simply wanted a green card. So no polygaph necessary.

It is way easier for me to move to Manchester anways as I have dual citizenship...so not expensive visa green card fees etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.