Overseas Passport Application for Baby

Old Feb 6th 2019, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

steve0084 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Overseas Passport Application for Baby

Hi everyone, I have two questions regarding applying for an overseas passport for our child who was born in the Philippines last year (I am the British father).

-Is it necessary to send originals of all the required documents or will copies suffice? This includes all of our passports, birth certificates and our marriage certificate.

-Can anyone tell us how long we can expect to wait to have our documents returned to us, considering that we're applying from the Philippines?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Old Feb 6th 2019, 4:33 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Overseas Passport Application for Baby

I think you'd be better served posting this in the Philippines forum.
Old Feb 6th 2019, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Okay, thanks.
Old Feb 6th 2019, 4:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Are you asking about a UK passport? If so, your thread is in the right place and I'm sure the forum pros will be along to help shortly. A search of the forum will also no doubt bring up relevant threads with timescales etc on.

Good luck.
Old Feb 6th 2019, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, it is for a British passport, I should have been clearer about that. Thank you.
Old Feb 6th 2019, 6:44 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Certificates must be original; passports should be photocopies. The timeline will depend entirely on your circumstances; could be two weeks, could be 12 months. Has your wife been previously married? Was your child born in wedlock?
Old Feb 6th 2019, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

PrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond repute

BiP is correct: we have done this three times in about 18 months for all three of our children. I (the mother) am the British citizen. I believe we submitted a color photocopy of my passport bio page, a color photocopy of hubby's passport bio page and our original birth certificates (all three of us, actually—mum, dad and baby). In each case, the turnaround time from the USA was about 12 days from the date we filed online to the date we had the passport back via DHL. My own passport renewal was similarly expedient!
Old Feb 7th 2019, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

Thank you both for your help. Yes, the child was born in wedlock and my wife hasn't been married before.
My concern was that we'd have to send our actual passports, I'm glad we don't.

Last edited by steve0084; Feb 7th 2019 at 1:22 am.
Old Feb 7th 2019, 6:59 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve0084
Thank you both for your help. Yes, the child was born in wedlock and my wife hasn't been married before.
My concern was that we'd have to send our actual passports, I'm glad we don't.
That’s all good news then. It hopefully won’t take too long then.
Old Feb 28th 2019, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

Hi again everyone.

We're ready to apply for our son's first British passport and I have a few questions.

We're going to send scanned copies of our passports. We're also going to send originals of other documents (marriage cert, birth certs, id cards etc) is it also necessary to send photocopies of these documents with our application?

With our application we're going to send photographs of us together as a family, my wife wants to send 44 pages of photos (around 180 photos in total), is this too much? It seems far too excessive to me.
Old Feb 28th 2019, 8:06 am

You don’t need to also send photocopies of your originals. That number of photos is far too many. You should provide a selection showing from a newborn until now. Depending on his age around 12 photos are fine.
Old Feb 28th 2019, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

Okay, thanks.
Old Jun 1st 2019, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

Lotusboat1 is an unknown quantity at this point

British father Filipino mother/ married /3 yr old son born in Philippines /is it easier to appear at manila embassy ,the 3 of us ,to make application for British passport for our son ?
And,if so,what documents must we present .we will be flying from Mindanao so really need to know exact requirements we need to take .

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 1st 2019 at 5:53 pm. Reason: Removing strikethrough - please don't as it makes your post very hard to read!
Old Jun 1st 2019, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Lotusboat1
British father Filipino mother/ married /3 yr old son born in Philippines /is it easier to appear at manila embassy ,the 3 of us ,to make application for British passport for our son ?
And,if so,what documents must we present .we will be flying from Mindanao so really need to know exact requirements we need to take .
The application will be processed by HMPO in the UK - the embassy cannot help you.

Everything you need can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
Old Jun 3rd 2019, 4:06 am
Just Joined

stu15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wondering if anyone with recent experience can help. I'm going to try and contact the embassy later to confirm also.

'Send the following:
  • naturalisation or registration certificate
  • full birth (civil and hospital) or adoption certificate showing both the child’s and parents’ details
  • the passport used to enter the country from which you are applying (if this applies)
  • full colour copy (every page including blank pages) of any current or expired passports from other countries that haven’t been cancelled
  • any court orders (for example that describe parental responsibility or residency arrangements)'
The above is listed on gov.uk....

The 'passport used...' bit is confusing me. I'm applying for British passports for two children under 5. They were both born in the country (Korea) from which I'm applying. And they have both been abroad on their Korean passports, so technically it applies that they used these passports to enter the country from which I'm applying. I'm sending colour photocopies of every page of their passports. But they also want to see the passports themselves? Not mine or my wife's passport?! I'm inclined to send them all to be on the safe side, but we plan to travel in 2.5 months and I'd prefer not to, if I could get confirmation that it's not necessary. Just in case there's a delay.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.