Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Overseas application for a first child passport - birth records etc.

Overseas application for a first child passport - birth records etc.

Old May 30th 2014, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

b0ris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Overseas application for a first child passport - birth records etc.

I'm wondering if anyone can share some knowledge or experience on precisely what is required when compiling supporting paperwork for an overseas passport application for a child (baby).

I understand certain documents not in English (marriage agreements, non-British birth certificates) must be translated individually into English by a certified translator. In addition they request antenatal and hospital records (and photos) in lieu of identifying documents available to adults. Since some such records can comprise many papers (doctor's certificates, test results, scans), I am wondering if one has to translate everything or whether they accept some kind of summary by translators - something like "we have seen original documents dated......issued by.....which state....."?

Any insight would be most helpful and appreciated.
Old May 31st 2014, 1:20 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Overseas application for a first child passport - birth records etc.

Which country are you in? Usually the child's local birth certificate with an accompanying English translation will suffice.
Old May 31st 2014, 11:22 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Overseas application for a first child passport - birth records etc.

In Morocco.

I've been told things have changed to combat fraud. Anyway, the current requirements can be found here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...idance_Gp3.PDF

In place of being able to provide documents that adults and teenagers can use to confirm their ID, they ask for photos with parents (over time), pre-natal records, hospital records etc.
Old May 31st 2014, 1:05 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Was your child born in Morocco or Spain though?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...11&postcount=6
Old May 31st 2014, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

Morocco, and we're in Morocco. The Spanish residency still exists but I think plays no part in this application.
Old May 31st 2014, 3:35 pm

I would first apply for a consular birth certificate via the British Embassy in Rabat and your child's Moroccan passport.

These two items combined with hospital records with their English translations should satisfy the requirements.
Old May 31st 2014, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

Yes, I already have the British birth certificate. My precautionary enquiries only came about because the woman at the Rabat embassy forewarned me about the increased measures being taken to prevent fraud, even saying they're often delaying applications by up to a year and demanding DNA tests. Extreme, I hope in my case, but Rabat is at the other end of Morocco! Anyway, "records" seems a bit vague when one has a folder of paperwork relating to antenatal and birth matters, and I wish they'd be a bit more specific because certified translation fees accumulate quickly! I can provide a doctor's handwritten note (letterhead, dated, stamped and signed) confirming the pregnancy and due date, along with the hospital's detailed bill for the birth. I hope that will suffice along with photos and the other more straightforward documents.

Thank you.
Old May 31st 2014, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by b0ris
Yes, I already have the British birth certificate. My precautionary enquiries only came about because the woman at the Rabat embassy forewarned me about the increased measures being taken to prevent fraud, even saying they're often delaying applications by up to a year and demanding DNA tests. Extreme, I hope in my case, but Rabat is at the other end of Morocco! Anyway, "records" seems a bit vague when one has a folder of paperwork relating to antenatal and birth matters, and I wish they'd be a bit more specific because certified translation fees accumulate quickly! I can provide a doctor's handwritten note (letterhead, dated, stamped and signed) confirming the pregnancy and due date, along with the hospital's detailed bill for the birth. I hope that will suffice along with photos and the other more straightforward documents.

Thank you.
I would send those two documents in together with the consular birth certificate and the Moroccan passport. That should suffice. If they want more then they can always request it from you.