Over 50s, I think you can add me to the list!!

Old Oct 14th 2011, 9:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Over 50s, I think you can add me to the list!!

I have been in UK since the beginning of September, in that time, mum has had a stroke (now home, being her usual cantankerous immobile self) and on Monday dad had a heart attack (now home, taking things easy and not allowed to drive for a month). So, guess what, my totally intransigent DH (and the D is standing for Darling, Dearest, Divine at the mo) said that of course I needed to be here and he needed to be here with me! I was supposed to be going home with my son and his family on 26/10 and will need to wrestle with Qantas for some sort of credit arrangement (ha!) for my return portion

He went home last week after being here for 5 weeks and is in the throes of 'tidying up', getting a visa or UK passport (is he entitled to be a UK citizen by descent if his mum was born in UK and he was born in Aus in 1949? I cant make head or tail of the requirements), selling my car, getting someone to do the garden etc.

We will still be keeping our house and probably not renting it out (the kids can use it) so that he can pop over from time to time because his mum is 94 and in a nursing home (he has siblings though, I dont). I am writing my resignation letter in my mind - actually quite a bit harder than I thought it was going to be, I did enjoy my job and the thought of that added bit of pocket money not being there is a bit of a challenge but hopefully we will be comfortable with our Aus superannuation even at the worst of exchange rates. However, as it was a job I never expected to have and had been quite prepared to 'retire' in earnest 4 years ago I shouldnt be too upset by it. I dont think I will want to work here but you never know.

So, not quite a perfect 'going home for ever' at the moment but as close as I can get and I will work on him - once he has a garden here he will probably not want to leave!!!

Will now go back and go through the over 50s help thread with a fine tooth comb to see what else I need to do about establishing myself here!
Old Oct 14th 2011, 9:09 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 50s, I think you can add me to the list!!

That's fantastic news, not about your parents obviously, I'm sorry to hear about their health issues. I know how much you want to be back where you belong, enjoy it.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 12:47 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, such happiness and sadness all at once. I am so sorry about your parents, but very happy that you will be able to spend time with them. Having lost my dad years ago while I was living in Canada, I know that's the most precious thing of all.

Your husband sounds like a keeper!
Old Oct 14th 2011, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

paulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of light

id bet youre still happy to be home , even if its not under the most ideal of circimstances ...perhaps you could post a couple more details about your husbands situation with regards to his possible citizenship claim and we can see about getting you some answers , that would atleast be 1 less thing having to weigh on your mind hehe
Old Oct 14th 2011, 3:19 pm
Fronting the Parole Board

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, what a turn-up. Really sorry to hear about your parents, but its an ill-wind and all that. Fancy your husband coming round to the idea so suddenly Lets hope he can get his passport etc sorted fairly easily
Old Oct 14th 2011, 3:39 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Wow so sorry about your parents, that is a really bitter sweet way to return. I hope it all goes smoothly for your Dh getting the Aus side of things sorted out and you'll be together again very soon.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 7:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulpur View Post
id bet youre still happy to be home , even if its not under the most ideal of circimstances ...perhaps you could post a couple more details about your husbands situation with regards to his possible citizenship claim and we can see about getting you some answers , that would atleast be 1 less thing having to weigh on your mind hehe
I am totally confused by the citizenship by descent thing - he was born Jan 1949 in Australia and his mother was born in 1917 in Suffolk, so a UK born citizen, and reading the guidelines it looks as if he should be able to apply for citizenship by descent but there has to be a catch! As far as I know his mum never renounced her British citizenship but I believe things changed for Brits in Aus in Jan 1949.

When he came to UK to study 1976, he got an ancestry visa and I would assume he could get the same again if all else failed but a passport would be a far better option.

Any words of wisdom gratefully accepted
Old Oct 15th 2011, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

aries_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rough

Perhaps you should start a new thread, then the font of all knowledge JAJ may spot it and give one of his excellent replies?

I wish you all the best with your new adventure and have often read your honest and straightforward posts with interest.

Hope the parents' health improves with you being there for them.

Last edited by aries_bird; Oct 15th 2011 at 9:37 am.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Really pleased for you...about the UK bit.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

moonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant future

Dear Quoll!!!!!!

Am sorry to hear about your parents' health. I hope they are ok and improve very quickly. On the other had what wonderful news that you seem - at long last - to be finally able to stay long term! My thoughts and best wishes go with you. I knew it would happen one day, it was meant to. May you have many, may happy and glorious years in the place you love.

All I need is a redundancy package from 'those in the know' in Canberra and I'll be on the next plane myself - here's hoping. Cheers to you and sorry that we never got that coffee in Woden but it's for the best of reasons why not! I'm so pleased for you, cheers, your Britexpats friend in in the PS :-))
Old Oct 18th 2011, 5:57 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Dear Quoll

So sorry to hear about your parents but so happy to know you will get to spend some long term time in your own country. And wow what a turn up for old DH!! Who knows where life will lead us next...............just think you will have a real English Christmas this year.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll View Post
I have been in UK since the beginning of September, in that time, mum has had a stroke (now home, being her usual cantankerous immobile self) and on Monday dad had a heart attack (now home, taking things easy and not allowed to drive for a month). So, guess what, my totally intransigent DH (and the D is standing for Darling, Dearest, Divine at the mo) said that of course I needed to be here and he needed to be here with me! I was supposed to be going home with my son and his family on 26/10 and will need to wrestle with Qantas for some sort of credit arrangement (ha!) for my return portion

He went home last week after being here for 5 weeks and is in the throes of 'tidying up', getting a visa or UK passport (is he entitled to be a UK citizen by descent if his mum was born in UK and he was born in Aus in 1949? I cant make head or tail of the requirements), selling my car, getting someone to do the garden etc.

We will still be keeping our house and probably not renting it out (the kids can use it) so that he can pop over from time to time because his mum is 94 and in a nursing home (he has siblings though, I dont). I am writing my resignation letter in my mind - actually quite a bit harder than I thought it was going to be, I did enjoy my job and the thought of that added bit of pocket money not being there is a bit of a challenge but hopefully we will be comfortable with our Aus superannuation even at the worst of exchange rates. However, as it was a job I never expected to have and had been quite prepared to 'retire' in earnest 4 years ago I shouldnt be too upset by it. I dont think I will want to work here but you never know.

So, not quite a perfect 'going home for ever' at the moment but as close as I can get and I will work on him - once he has a garden here he will probably not want to leave!!!

Will now go back and go through the over 50s help thread with a fine tooth comb to see what else I need to do about establishing myself here!
Quoll so sorry to hear about your parents and hope they both make speedy recoveries, I think sometimes fate gives you a nudge one way or another and gives us little time to think to deeply about sudden changes..in some ways thats a good thing, just try and take a deep breath after all that has happend and realise you will miss certain things that might not of even crossed your mind if and when this happens just think of all the things you wished you could do in the UK while in Aus. All the best to you and your family Take care and age is just a figure not a state of mind...ps how did the wedding go?
Old Oct 19th 2011, 7:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by brits1 View Post
Quoll so sorry to hear about your parents and hope they both make speedy recoveries, I think sometimes fate gives you a nudge one way or another and gives us little time to think to deeply about sudden changes..in some ways thats a good thing, just try and take a deep breath after all that has happend and realise you will miss certain things that might not of even crossed your mind if and when this happens just think of all the things you wished you could do in the UK while in Aus. All the best to you and your family Take care and age is just a figure not a state of mind...ps how did the wedding go?
Wedding was fabulous thanks. I think the bride's mother heaved a huge sigh of relief when I rocked up in purple (with black accessories!!!!!) - think she thought I might have turned up head to toe in black!

The newly weds are very happy and settled in their new house in London. DS gets to go home every weekend but works away during the week. I think I am going to need to lean on him quite heavily for the next couple of months until DH arrives.

You are right, there are one or two things which hadnt crossed my mind that are causing me a tinge of regret - having to quit my job, resigning from some voluntary work I have been doing for about 15 years, my new kitchen - but all in all, I know it is right!
Old Oct 19th 2011, 7:58 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll View Post

I don't often venture to these parts Quoll for obvious reasons but I am genuinely pleased (although sad about your folks) that you are managing to persuade him to move over even in the short term.

Good luck to you both.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your parent's situation but pleased that you can finally return to the UK for a longer period of time.
I bet you won't miss being woken up by screeching parrots though