British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   Originals or copies? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/originals-copies-934955/)

Goonergirl Sep 22nd 2020 1:38 pm

Originals or copies?

Hi everyone,
Well, we finally submitted our spouse application last Thursday (phew!!!). Was surprised to get a biometric appointment at the ASC for September 28th. Thought we would have to wait longer than that.

We decided to purchase the $150 package that includes document scanning service amongst other things. We have to mail our packet via UPS to NY within 7 days of our biometrics appointment for them to scan our docs. Does anyone know whether they want original documents or copies? Can’t seem to find this info anywhere.

Thanks for your help as always.

Redsoxfan Sep 22nd 2020 2:21 pm

Re: Originals or copies?

Originally Posted by Goonergirl (Post 12913023)
Hi everyone,
Well, we finally submitted our spouse application last Thursday (phew!!!). Was surprised to get a biometric appointment at the ASC for September 28th. Thought we would have to wait longer than that.

We decided to purchase the $150 package that includes document scanning service amongst other things. We have to mail our packet via UPS to NY within 7 days of our biometrics appointment for them to scan our docs. Does anyone know whether they want original documents or copies? Can’t seem to find this info anywhere.

hi goonegirl, that was quick! I have to wait for a month to get a biometric. I applied September 4th. Did you book it in Manhattan? I also purchased the same service and from my experience as I applied for marriage visa before, I submitted originals and they sent it back and that’s what the return label is for. Are you doing priority? Hope we can help each other on our application since we’re applying in the same state. Also, don’t forget to print labels.

Goonergirl Sep 22nd 2020 2:35 pm

Hi there, yes we were shocked at how quick our biometric appointment came through too. We live in south west Virginia, and the nearest ASC is in Charleston, WV. Maybe that's the reason it came through quickly, not as many applications from this part of the world?
After I posted about whether we should send originals or copies, it occurred to me that if you "self upload" they only get scanned copies anyway. So maybe copies are enough. However, I think I'll send originals because if I send copies you can bet they will say originals!!! I decided not to self upload, we have an ancient printer/scanner and after the many attempts last week at uploading scanned copies for the TOR1 form, it was worth the money to me to get others to do it LOL.
Yes, we have the labels and I'll be getting the UPS recommended packaging this week.

Do you know whether they are still giving you 30 days to enter the UK after the visa is granted? I read somewhere that this was extended to 60 or 90 days due to COVID 19.
Good luck with your application, fingers crossed for both of us that it goes smoothly.

Redsoxfan Sep 22nd 2020 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by Goonergirl (Post 12913047)
Hi there, yes we were shocked at how quick our biometric appointment came through too. We live in south west Virginia, and the nearest ASC is in Charleston, WV. Maybe that's the reason it came through quickly, not as many applications from this part of the world?
After I posted about whether we should send originals or copies, it occurred to me that if you "self upload" they only get scanned copies anyway. So maybe copies are enough. However, I think I'll send originals because if I send copies you can bet they will say originals!!! I decided not to self upload, we have an ancient printer/scanner and after the many attempts last week at uploading scanned copies for the TOR1 form, it was worth the money to me to get others to do it LOL.
Yes, we have the labels and I'll be getting the UPS recommended packaging this week.

Do you know whether they are still giving you 30 days to enter the UK after the visa is granted? I read somewhere that this was extended to 60 or 90 days due to COVID 19.
Good luck with your application, fingers crossed for both of us that it goes smoothly.

I’m not too sure. I know here in New York I had a hard time scheduling biometric sooner unless I purchased the premium package from VFS and every time I tried to reschedule it’s always being pushed back another week from my scheduled date.

LOL same reason I opt in having them scan it for me. Just the application itself was really stressful. The UPS can also be pricey if you go directly to them to send it yourself. I know from experience. I think the 150 package is a good value especially if you have a ton of documents to submit LOL. It used to be no charge to have them scan it for you, you only had to pay for the labels.

In regards to the approval, I know it’s 30 days. I’m not aware if things have changed. Hopefully someone knowledgeable can answer your query on that.

Last question though, so there’s a document checklist, right? Should I just submit what’s on the checklist? It doesn’t state to prove relationship etc etc but I’m seeing here on forums they’re submitting proof of relationship like pictures etc.

Good luck on yours as well!

Viking2013 Sep 24th 2020 6:24 pm

Goonergirl Hi there,

If you choose the paid for scanning service, do they not scan and upload the documents at the regional ASC? It sounds like from your post that you get your biometrics done and then send the docs to the NYC address, is that correct?

My concern is that it will take a long time for my wife's appointment if they upload all the documents when she is there.

Thanks!

Goonergirl Sep 27th 2020 7:33 pm

Sorry for late response, but with regards to that document checklist. It doesn't ask for any documentation pertaining to accommodation or proof of relationship. You will need to send those documents too. It's very misleading.

Goonergirl Sep 27th 2020 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Viking2013 (Post 12914022)
Goonergirl Hi there,

If you choose the paid for scanning service, do they not scan and upload the documents at the regional ASC? It sounds like from your post that you get your biometrics done and then send the docs to the NYC address, is that correct?

My concern is that it will take a long time for my wife's appointment if they upload all the documents when she is there.

Thanks!

If you are going to an ASC for your biometrics, they will not do any scanning for you there. You have to send your documents to NY within 5-7 days after your biometrics appointment. We purchased the extra services that included the UPS shipping labels to send all the paperwork and scanning service.

Redsoxfan Sep 28th 2020 4:23 am

Originally Posted by Goonergirl (Post 12915105)
If you are going to an ASC for your biometrics, they will not do any scanning for you there. You have to send your documents to NY within 5-7 days after your biometrics appointment. We purchased the extra services that included the UPS shipping labels to send all the paperwork and scanning service.

Thats right. You don’t have to purchase from VFS as long as the label is from UPS. I’m not too sure if USPS is acceptable, I’m 100% sure UPS is accepted.

Redsoxfan Oct 1st 2020 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Goonergirl (Post 12913023)
Hi everyone,

hi Goonergirl! How did your biometric go? I’m having mine soon and a bit anxious. Just to confirm, since we are from the USA we do not need tuberculosis testing, right? Also I don’t need to print anything but the UPS label I’ll be bringing with me? Aside from the documents I have to show. TIA! Hope it went well!

Goonergirl Oct 1st 2020 4:42 pm

Hi there,
Everything went smoothly, thanks for asking!
Yes, no tuberculosis for us fortunately.

Are you going to an ASC? If sO, you will need to print out your biometrics appointment confirmation doc. It just has the address of your ASC location, appointment date and time together with a barcode on top left. You don’t need to take the UPS label. Just the biometrics appoint confirmation doc and your US passport. That’s all we took and it went fine.

At your appointment, they will stamp and sign the appointment confirmation doc and you will need to include a copy of that with your supporting docs you’re sending to NY.

We mailed out supporting docs on Tuesday and our packet weighed 2.7lbs! Justification I think for purchasing the labels.

Redsoxfan Oct 1st 2020 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Goonergirl (Post 12916898)
Hi there,

Are you going to an ASC? If sO, you will need to print out your biometrics appointment confirmation doc. It just has the address of your ASC location, appointment date and time together with a barcode on top left. You don’t need to take the UPS label. Just the biometrics appoint confirmation doc and your US passport. That’s all we took and it went fine.

At your appointment, they will stamp and sign the appointment confirmation doc and you will need to include a copy of that with your supporting docs you’re sending to NY.

We mailed out supporting docs on Tuesday and our packet weighed 2.7lbs! Justification I think for purchasing the labels.

Thank you Goonergirl! I’m glad yours went well. Hope you get your visa soonest! All the best!

Redsoxfan Oct 5th 2020 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Goonergirl (Post 12916898)
Hi there,

hi Goonergirl! Biometric done! Thank you for your help! Now on the document checklist there’s a page saying not to sign until you are at your appointment and has official use only, ASC said they don’t sign that paper, what do I do with it? Hopefully my last question on this issue. TIA!!!

Goonergirl Oct 5th 2020 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by Redsoxfan (Post 12918966)
hi Goonergirl! Biometric done! Thank you for your help! Now on the document checklist there’s a page saying not to sign until you are at your appointment and has official use only, ASC said they don’t sign that paper, what do I do with it? Hopefully my last question on this issue. TIA!!!

Hi, Yes, that had us stumped for a while too. Our interpretation was that it wasn’t necessary to sign it as we went to the ASC not VFS Global (all inclusive package). Personally it was useful to check that you had all the docs mentioned in the application form, but a bit misleading as it didn’t include any mention of accommodation and relationship evidence.

I’m hoping for some news in November, but I might be being too optimistic.

Redsoxfan Oct 5th 2020 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Goonergirl (Post 12918986)
Hi, Yes, that had us stumped for a while too. Our interpretation was that it wasn’t necessary to sign it as we went to the ASC not VFS Global (all inclusive package). Personally it was useful to check that you had all the docs mentioned in the application form, but a bit misleading as it didn’t include any mention of accommodation and relationship evidence.

I’m hoping for some news in November, but I might be being too optimistic.

Thank you!! It’s so confusing!! No clear instructions really. Wishing you all the best!!!