Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

One last questions not answered about Visa for US spose and partner living abroad

One last questions not answered about Visa for US spose and partner living abroad

Old Jun 9th 2014, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

feuerrose2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question One last questions not answered about Visa for US spose and partner living abroad

I am a US national married to a UK national and we are planning to move to the UK. We have been working and living in the US for the last 7 years.
I have read through 15 pages of threads and I have one remaining question:

Can my UK national husband and I move back to the UK together? The UKVI site only mentions joining a partner in the UK, but my partner is here in the US with me.
Does he HAVE to go back to the UK first in order for me to apply for the visa to join him? We meet all the financial requirements and have a place to live etc.

Also, regardless of the answer to the above question- I would apply for the joining a partner settled in the UK, right?

Okay it was 2 questions in the end!
Thank you for any help!
Old Jun 9th 2014, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One last questions not answered about Visa for US spose and partner living abroad

Originally Posted by feuerrose2
I am a US national married to a UK national and we are planning to move to the UK. We have been working and living in the US for the last 7 years.
I have read through 15 pages of threads and I have one remaining question:

Can my UK national husband and I move back to the UK together? Yes, as long as you have a spouse visa before you travel.

The UKVI site only mentions joining a partner in the UK, but my partner is here in the US with me.
Does he HAVE to go back to the UK first in order for me to apply for the visa to join him? As long as you have a spouse visa, you can travel together. We meet all the financial requirements and have a place to live etc.

Also, regardless of the answer to the above question- I would apply for the joining a partner settled in the UK, right? Yes. He is settled as he is British and is allowed to live in his own country.

Okay it was 2 questions in the end!
Thank you for any help!
white space
Old Jun 9th 2014, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

ncoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nice
Default Re: One last questions not answered about Visa for US spose and partner living abroad

hi f
Yes. My wife is USC and I am a brit. We just received our spouse visa the other week and plan on moving to the UK in mid July along with our three US born kids. All travelling together.

We are using saving route. Check out my thread for details:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=830799

Good luck
Cheers
Nigel
Old Jun 9th 2014, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

ypwatson is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Nigel, I noticed your response feuerrose2 about moving to the UK. I have a quick question. My UK husband and I (USC), are moving to the UK this year. Do we have a choice to use the savings route or minimum income threshold route? Is it one or the other or both? Can you answer this for me?
Thanks very much
Patrice
Old Jun 10th 2014, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

ncoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nice

Originally Posted by ypwatson
Hi Nigel, I noticed your response feuerrose2 about moving to the UK. I have a quick question. My UK husband and I (USC), are moving to the UK this year. Do we have a choice to use the savings route or minimum income threshold route? Is it one or the other or both? Can you answer this for me?
Thanks very much
Patrice
Hi,
It can be either savings (62.5K GBP) or earnings (18.6K GBP/yr) or there is a formula where it can be a combination of both.

If its savings it has to be in either the brit sponsors name or both names. If its earnings it has to be in the brit sponsors earnings only.

Good luck
Cheers
Nigel
Old Jun 10th 2014, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ncoomber
Hi,
It can be either savings (62.5K GBP) or earnings (18.6K GBP/yr) or there is a formula where it can be a combination of both.

If its savings it has to be in either the brit sponsors name or both names. If its earnings it has to be in the brit sponsors earnings only.

Good luck
Cheers
Nigel
Savings can also be in the applicant's name
UNEARNED income can be in either name, it is only EARNED income whihc is restircted to the British Citizen Sponsor

Last edited by englishguygoinghome; Jun 10th 2014 at 1:37 pm. Reason: added unearned income
Old Jun 10th 2014, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

ypwatson is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks very much for the quick reply on the savings vs earnings income for us to move to the UK. The information gives us more clarity than reading the "encyclopedia" that is now called GOV.UK rules...

Thanks again!
ypwatson
Old Jun 10th 2014, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ypwatson
Thanks very much for the quick reply on the savings vs earnings income for us to move to the UK. The information gives us more clarity than reading the "encyclopedia" that is now called GOV.UK rules...

Thanks again!
ypwatson
I owuld very stonrgly urge that you DO read them and highlight the relevant bits when putting your applicaiton together. The rules are extremely specific in some places and a single missed document can cost you the application. This forum is a good place to get the general info you need but your circumstances and documents will always be unique.