Old passport 1996 with 2 children mentioned inside

Old Dec 30th 2022, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

moris2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Old passport 1996 with 2 children mentioned inside

Hi my brother and I were born in UK ( jan 1993 - may 1996 same town) - 1 month after my birth we receveid rapidely our first child british passport GBR in june 1996, my mum send our UK birth certificate with the application form. It is my brother british passport age 3 and I am mentioned inside on page 3. My mother is french but naturalised british in 1997, after living in UK from the year 1991. (Dad french non resident then deceased)) . My mum was recruited in a uk-based firm in Paris in 1997. I lived in France since. Am I british citizen by birth as I am mentioned on my brother british passport. Thanks.
Old Dec 30th 2022, 8:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old passport 1996 with 2 children mentioned inside

So when you were born (May 1996) your mother was NOT a naturalised Brit and your father never lived in the UK.... is this correct.
You were born in the UK in 1996 but have not lived there since 1997

Is this correct?

Under what headings/sections are you mentioned on Page 3?
Old Dec 30th 2022, 11:33 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The short answer is yes.

The long answer is that as you were born in the UK between 1 January 1983 and 1 October 2000 to an EEA parent then providing your mother was exercising her Treaty rights at the time of your birth then you are a British citizen by birth under S.1(1)(b) BNA 1981.
Old Dec 31st 2022, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

Hi thank you for answering me.
I am on page 2 - Under CHILDREN/ENFANTS (5) : surname /given name/ date of birth/ sex
The page before the notes.
My mother worked from 1991 to 1993 (January)
She studied one year at the university of essex 1994-1995 - then I was born in 1996, She was not working.
Then she worked for a british firm based in Paris from 1997...

Is that enough to prove she had excerciced her treaty of right - Unfortunately My brother is born disable which was difficult for her to work without family help.
thank you

Old Jan 1st 2023, 6:23 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

That shouldn’t be an issue, particularly if you and your brother have already been issued with a British passport. What is your mother’s occupation on your birth certificate?
Old Jan 1st 2023, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

Hi and happy new year
As I said my brother is born autistic, so She could not work > and the year I was born it is mentioned "no occupation" on the birth certificate.

As I am just "mentioned" in my brother's passport and my mother did not have a stable occupation (treaty rights) the exact year of my birth, I fear that my passport application is fragile.

I even thought of registering as a British citizen (on the basis that I was born in 1996 in the UK and a naturalized British parent in 1997) but there is the new condition of having lived on English soil for 10 years as a child, certainly I spent my holidays in England but not lived 10 years.

I hang on this passport for 26 years because I believed hard that being mentioned in it meant that I had been granted citizenship. But conditions are added each time and make me doubt.

Old Jan 1st 2023, 10:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you be 'mentioned' in your brother's passport under the heading 'children' ?

It does not make sense to me.
Old Jan 1st 2023, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by moris2000
Hi and happy new year
As I said my brother is born autistic, so She could not work > and the year I was born it is mentioned "no occupation" on the birth certificate.

As I am just "mentioned" in my brother's passport and my mother did not have a stable occupation (treaty rights) the exact year of my birth, I fear that my passport application is fragile.

I even thought of registering as a British citizen (on the basis that I was born in 1996 in the UK and a naturalized British parent in 1997) but there is the new condition of having lived on English soil for 10 years as a child, certainly I spent my holidays in England but not lived 10 years.

I hang on this passport for 26 years because I believed hard that being mentioned in it meant that I had been granted citizenship. But conditions are added each time and make me doubt.
I think you are worrying unnecessarily. I would just submit an application with your birth certificate and expired passport and see what HMPO requests, if anything, as further supporting evidence.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
Old Jan 1st 2023, 11:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
I think you are worrying unnecessarily. I would just submit an application with your birth certificate and expired passport and see what HMPO requests, if anything, as further supporting evidence.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
Maybe I’m reading it wrong, but it sounds like only the OP’s brother had a British passport and OP was just mentioned on it for some reason (although like SDG, I’m not sure why a sibling would be mentioned under the ‘children’ section).

Would the above still apply if the OP has never had their own British passport?
Old Jan 2nd 2023, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Maybe I’m reading it wrong, but it sounds like only the OP’s brother had a British passport and OP was just mentioned on it for some reason (although like SDG, I’m not sure why a sibling would be mentioned under the ‘children’ section).

Would the above still apply if the OP has never had their own British passport?
Prior to 1998 it was not unusual for relatives to be mentioned in the same passport.

Regardless, given the length of time that has passed, the OP will be treated as a first time applicant so my advice would remain the same.
Old Jan 2nd 2023, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

Ok Ok for the clarification "prior 1998", the members of a family could be mentioned in a single passport. I'm relieved, so it's really my passport too. So thank you very much. I am reassured to apply for an adult passport.