Wikiposts

off topic..travelling in europe w/o passport!

Old Sep 26th 2004, 3:49 am
Forum Regular

hopelessinks is a jewel in the roughhopelessinks is a jewel in the roughhopelessinks is a jewel in the roughhopelessinks is a jewel in the rough
Default off topic..travelling in europe w/o passport!

HI everyone

I know this is off topic, but I would like to clear something up and some ppl on this forum might know what the situation might be!

My husband is being deployed to europe, so he does not need a passport to go as he is on military orders....what my husband would like to know for certain, is can he go to the UK without a passport?...I told him I don't think it is possible as although the UK is part of europe (and he can travel on the continent w/o passport) it is a seperate country on it's own and therefore he will need a passport (which he does not have).

Is there any type of intrim passport he can apply for while in europe so he can visit the UK and my family? (he has not met them yet!)

Thanks again...and sorry for posting this in the visa section.
Old Sep 26th 2004, 4:02 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: off topic..travelling in europe w/o passport!

Originally Posted by hopelessinks
HI everyone

I know this is off topic, but I would like to clear something up and some ppl on this forum might know what the situation might be!

My husband is being deployed to europe, so he does not need a passport to go as he is on military orders....what my husband would like to know for certain, is can he go to the UK without a passport?...I told him I don't think it is possible as although the UK is part of europe (and he can travel on the continent w/o passport) it is a seperate country on it's own and therefore he will need a passport (which he does not have).

Is there any type of intrim passport he can apply for while in europe so he can visit the UK and my family? (he has not met them yet!)

Hi:

Why an "interim passport" -- a regular passport will do the trick.
Old Sep 26th 2004, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

hopelessinks is a jewel in the roughhopelessinks is a jewel in the roughhopelessinks is a jewel in the roughhopelessinks is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Why an "interim passport" -- a regular passport will do the trick.
the reason he does not have a regular passport is that he owes more than $5000 in child support (which is technically wrong...it is back alimony that after the divorce she waited 15 months to go for the court order and then they granted her $700 a month alimony and $300 child support...$15,000 in the hole from day one!!) so he cannot get a regular passport, this is why I was asking if there was some sort of intrim/temporary passport he could get while he was there...I know at one time (in the UK) you could get a 'passport' at the post office so you could visit france etc for short trips (it wasn't valid for very long though, and I wanted to know if there was something similar he could get whilst in europe (he will have military id and orders to proove that he would be returning to his 'station'

thanks again
Old Sep 26th 2004, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dorothy (well you're in Kansas, right? )
You are correct in your assumption that your husband needs a passport to travel to the UK - and within Europe, for that matter. Cross-border travel without passports is only allowed to citizens of EU member states under the Schengen agreement. (However, those citizens would need identification, which in most cases consists of a passport or European travel document, but that's a different story ).

Mr. Folinsky, I am curious as to whether or not the OP's husband can still obtain a passport, after reading the ruling in Kent v. Dulles: ''In a 5-to-4 decision, the Court held that the right to travel is an inherent element of "liberty" that cannot be denied to American citizens. Although the Executive may regulate the travel practices of citizens, by requiring them to obtain valid passports, it may not condition the fulfillment of such requirements with the imposition of rules that abridge basic constitutional notions of liberty, assembly, association, and personal autonomy.''

If you cannot answer this question in a public forum I completely understand, I'm just curious, anyway.

Elaine
Old Sep 26th 2004, 7:20 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

HI everyone

Years ago (20 or so) in the USAF we were issued a "Form 80" I believe it was called, which was the military equivilant of a passport. The paper carried all the countries one was allowed to enter in Europe (most all non Warsaw Pact), and was accepted just like a passport by the various customs/immigration officers at the various countries. Perhaps a current military member could post an update as to whether this is still used over there by service members.
Old Sep 26th 2004, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HunterGreen
Hi Dorothy (well you're in Kansas, right? )
You are correct in your assumption that your husband needs a passport to travel to the UK - and within Europe, for that matter. Cross-border travel without passports is only allowed to citizens of EU member states under the Schengen agreement. (However, those citizens would need identification, which in most cases consists of a passport or European travel document, but that's a different story ).

Mr. Folinsky, I am curious as to whether or not the OP's husband can still obtain a passport, after reading the ruling in Kent v. Dulles: ''In a 5-to-4 decision, the Court held that the right to travel is an inherent element of "liberty" that cannot be denied to American citizens. Although the Executive may regulate the travel practices of citizens, by requiring them to obtain valid passports, it may not condition the fulfillment of such requirements with the imposition of rules that abridge basic constitutional notions of liberty, assembly, association, and personal autonomy.''

If you cannot answer this question in a public forum I completely understand, I'm just curious, anyway.

Elaine
HI

where did you read this ruling...kent vs Dulles? I would be very intrested in reading this, just to see if it is possible for my husband to obtain a passport...we were 'told' that anyone owing more than 5k in child support is excluded from obtaining a passport (although the child support portion of the balance is far less than 5k..the alimony was 'lumped' in with it and there is no written record of this happening...just the amount was recorded!)

It would be wonderful if he could obtain a regular passport as I am from the UK and he would love to go and visit to see where I grew up and meet some of my family...I wouldn't want him to meet all of them!! (Adams family has nothing on me!! LOL) once all mt AOS was finished with it would be good to plan a trip back 'home'.

And I have heard the Dorothy thing a few times...LOL...it's still funny though
Old Sep 26th 2004, 10:11 am
Rich Wales

"HunterGreen" wrote:

> I am curious as to whether or not the OP's husband can
> still obtain a passport, after reading the ruling in
> Kent v. Dulles: ''In a 5-to-4 decision, the Court held
> that the right to travel is an inherent element of
> "liberty" that cannot be denied to American citizens.

But note that Kent v. Dulles, 357 U.S. 116 (1958), dealt with the
US government's refusal to issue passports to Americans who were
suspected of Communist ties.

I seriously doubt that this ruling would be of any value in a
situation where someone was refused a passport because of alleged
failure to pay child support -- a situation in which there may be
a legitimate concern that the applicant may seek to avoid court
orders by fleeing the US.

Rich Wales [email protected] http://www.richw.org/dualcit/
*DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer, professional immigration consultant,
or consular officer. My comments are for discussion purposes only and
are not intended to be relied upon as legal or professional advice.

Old Sep 26th 2004, 10:59 am
Anonymous

hopelessinks wrote:
    >>Hi:
    >>Why an "interim passport" -- a regular passport will do the trick.
    >
    >
    > the reason he does not have a regular passport is that he owes more than
    > $5000 in child support (which is technically wrong...it is back alimony
    > that after the divorce she waited 15 months to go for the court order
    > and then they granted her $700 a month alimony and $300 child
    > support...$15,000 in the hole from day one!!)

So, you are saying he paid $0 for 15 months.

Old Sep 26th 2004, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Anonymous
hopelessinks wrote:
    >>Hi:
    >>Why an "interim passport" -- a regular passport will do the trick.
    >
    >
    > the reason he does not have a regular passport is that he owes more than
    > $5000 in child support (which is technically wrong...it is back alimony
    > that after the divorce she waited 15 months to go for the court order
    > and then they granted her $700 a month alimony and $300 child
    > support...$15,000 in the hole from day one!!)

So, you are saying he paid $0 for 15 months.
No he did pay...but he was paying her without any order...and he was supporting his son...but he didn't get any reciepts...he didn't think he would need them...but she got pissy and was jealous of him getting remarried and then decided to take him to court..and lied about what he had already paid....he wasn't there to reply he was in a different state at the time of the hearing...so next thing he knew...a whopping bill for $15,000!!
Old Sep 26th 2004, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

I seriously doubt that this ruling would be of any value in a
situation where someone was refused a passport because of alleged
failure to pay child support -- a situation in which there may be
a legitimate concern that the applicant may seek to avoid court
orders by fleeing the US.

Rich Wales [email protected] http://www.richw.org/dualcit/
*DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer, professional immigration consultant,
or consular officer. My comments are for discussion purposes only and
are not intended to be relied upon as legal or professional advice.[/QUOTE]

wouldn't it be sufficient to say he wouldn't flee the country when he has military duties to perform for the USA, and the fact he has very stong ties to this country?
Old Sep 27th 2004, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich Wales
But note that Kent v. Dulles, 357 U.S. 116 (1958), dealt with the
US government's refusal to issue passports to Americans who were
suspected of Communist ties.
I did. However the ruling sounded a lot like it didn't have anything to do with communistst, but more with the basic rights of every American. That's why I was wondering if it might be applicable.

a situation in which there may be a legitimate concern that the applicant may seek to avoid court orders by fleeing the US.
I agree. But he would already be outside of the US (deployed).

Also, I wondered if, in the case this ruling would apply, if the ruling in the back-child support cases would weigh-in heavier than the Kent v. Dulles ruling.

To everyone: note that I am NOT saying this would apply in the OP's case, I am just CURIOUS if it would.

Elaine
Old Sep 27th 2004, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

I seriously doubt that this ruling would be of any value in a situation where someone was refused a passport because of alleged
failure to pay child support -- a situation in which there may be a legitimate concern that the applicant may seek to avoid court orders by fleeing the US.
An addition here to my previous post - the OP didn't mention he already WAS refused a passport. As I understand it they just didnt apply for one because they were TOLD he wouldn't be allowed one.

Another addition - since he's being deployed they (=whoever calls the shots about this) could decide there isn't much risk of him fleeing, since being a deserter from the army would put him in much more trouble than $15,000 back child support/alimony. Just some thoughts....

Elaine
Old Sep 27th 2004, 3:40 am
Eric S.

Technically, non EU citizens may need a passport for cross border travel
within the EU. But practically, since there are no more border crossing
stations, no one is there to check when you cross the border. I have
crossed the following borders in the past year or two, without even stopping
at the border: Spain-Portugal, Spain-France, France-Italy.

The UK is slightly different however. I WAS required to show a passport
when I went from France to the UK via the Chunnel 2 years ago.

- Eric S.

"HunterGreen" <member15421@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
    > Hi Dorothy (well you're in Kansas, right? ;))
    > You are correct in your assumption that your husband needs a passport to
    > travel to the UK - and within Europe, for that matter. Cross-border
    > travel without passports is only allowed to citizens of EU member states
    > under the Schengen agreement. (However, those citizens would need
    > identification, which in most cases consists of a passport or European
    > travel document, but that's a different story ;)).

Old Sep 27th 2004, 3:43 am
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

For all practical purposes, he will need a passport to enter the UK from anywhere except Ireland (which, with the UK, forms part of a common travel area). The UK and Ireland are not part of the Schengen travel area, so any provisions regarding travel that might apply there do not apply to the UK or Ireland.

Passport-free travel within the Schengen area really relates to the lack of routine border controls. It doesn't always mean that a passport (or, for certain European Union nationalities, a national identity card instead of a passport) is not needed by people making trips between the Schengen countries. For example, airlines may well ask to see a passport or national ID card when passengers are checking in, as may hotels when guests arrive (hotels in many European countries are required to register all guests with the local police). Forms of military ID might or might not be accepted in lieu of a passport in some circumstances, but for all ordinary, non-military travel he's going to have trouble without a valid passport, I fear. The exception, presumably, would be day trips across country borders in the Schengen area, although even here many European countries do require visitors to have a valid passport with them, even if it is not checked on entry to the country.

HI everyone

Old Sep 27th 2004, 4:51 am

Debidoll is on a distinguished road

This site may be able to tell you about the child support/passport situation:

http://forum.freeadvice.com/forumdis...aysprune=&f=98

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.