Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

NZ partner needs visa to live in UK with me (British Citizen)

NZ partner needs visa to live in UK with me (British Citizen)

Old May 26th 2019, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

Gypsy888 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NZ partner needs visa to live in UK with me (British Citizen)

Hiya
I have lived in NZ for 14yrs and been living with my partner for 4yrs. He is a NZ'er, I have dual passports - British and Australian. We are aiming to move to Scotland in September. I am 55, he is 58. We are both employable.
All of my family still live in the UK.
I have been told different stories by UK immigration (who I phoned for $35!) And also NZ immigration.
1) Can he apply for a UK family settlement visa in NZ before we leave? OR a fiance visa?
2) Would it be easier if we were married BEFORE we leave NZ?
3) Do I need to go by myself, get a job for 6 months then sponsor him over?
We are very confused, we want to live and work in Scotland and I have family there.
Please help, I am getting very disheartened
Old May 26th 2019, 10:54 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ partner needs visa to live in UK with me (British Citizen)

1) Yes and yes.
2) Yes.
3) Potentially.

Does your partner have any recent European ancestry? Parents or grandparent born in Europe?
Old May 26th 2019, 3:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Read the following document carefully to see how you can sponsor and meet the financial requirements:

https://assets.publishing.service.go...ent-ext_1_.pdf

Depending on how you meet the financial requirements will determine when you can apply for the visa.

The fiance visa will allow you to marry in the UK, and then you apply for a spouse visa from within the UK - its twice as expensive as marrying in NZ and then just applying for the spouse visa.
Old May 26th 2019, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

FARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gypsy888
Hiya
I have lived in NZ for 14yrs and been living with my partner for 4yrs. He is a NZ'er, I have dual passports - British and Australian. We are aiming to move to Scotland in September. I am 55, he is 58. We are both employable.
All of my family still live in the UK.
I have been told different stories by UK immigration (who I phoned for $35!) And also NZ immigration.
1) Can he apply for a UK family settlement visa in NZ before we leave? OR a fiance visa?
2) Would it be easier if we were married BEFORE we leave NZ?
3) Do I need to go by myself, get a job for 6 months then sponsor him over?
We are very confused, we want to live and work in Scotland and I have family there.
Please help, I am getting very disheartened
You can apply before coming to the UK or you can come ahead of him and apply here while they wait in New Zealand. i am not too familiar with the outland process however.

The most important thing after a genuine relationship is the magic number of £18600. You need to be earning at least per year that in order to sponsor someone. if you have been working in New zealand - you can use your income in the proceeding 12 months towards your application. So you wouldn't be needing to be in a role for 6 months prior - just have a role secured and then you could begin the process. You can also meet the financial requirement through savings - but that would mean would need to have (I believe around £50k). (I believe you can also use his income in the 12 months prior in New Zealand in order to meet the financial requirement)

i don't believe it makes a difference if you are married or in a long term relationship as long as you can show proof of a genuine and continuing relationship (proof of living together, letters from family and friends etc).
Old May 26th 2019, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
1) Yes and yes.
2) Yes.
3) Potentially.

Does your partner have any recent European ancestry? Parents or grandparent born in Europe?
No recent ancestry unfortunately, there is Welsh 3 generations back...I'm trying to trace online but that's another story
Old May 26th 2019, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by FARAH1305
You can apply before coming to the UK or you can come ahead of him and apply here while they wait in New Zealand. i am not too familiar with the outland process however.

The most important thing after a genuine relationship is the magic number of £18600. You need to be earning at least per year that in order to sponsor someone. if you have been working in New zealand - you can use your income in the proceeding 12 months towards your application. So you wouldn't be needing to be in a role for 6 months prior - just have a role secured and then you could begin the process. You can also meet the financial requirement through savings - but that would mean would need to have (I believe around £50k). (I believe you can also use his income in the 12 months prior in New Zealand in order to meet the financial requirement)

i don't believe it makes a difference if you are married or in a long term relationship as long as you can show proof of a genuine and continuing relationship (proof of living together, letters from family and friends etc).
Thank you!
We are both full-time workers earning a good wage, Dave is a heavy truck driver. I'm so glad that they take into account our current financial position rather than just when we are 'starting' all over again in the uk. We are both still fit and healthy and I've been wanting to go home for such a long time (38 yrs in fact) ... it's now or never with age being a rather looming factor.

Last edited by Gypsy888; May 26th 2019 at 6:28 pm.
Old May 26th 2019, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Read the following document carefully to see how you can sponsor and meet the financial requirements:

Depending on how you meet the financial requirements will determine when you can apply for the visa.

The fiance visa will allow you to marry in the UK, and then you apply for a spouse visa from within the UK - its twice as expensive as marrying in NZ and then just applying for the spouse visa.
Thank you, I have this document and have been trawling my way through it in my spare time (of which I have very little).
Maybe we won't complicate things and leave the marriage thing alone, we can still apply as we've been in a relationship for over 4 yrs.
Old May 26th 2019, 7:16 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Marrying in NZ before you start the application process simplifies rather than complicates matters.
Old May 26th 2019, 8:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya
I.

d
Just to clarify this statement. You can apply for the visa while in NZ but your husband cannot enter the UK to live until the visa has been issued. ie. he can't enter and remain in the UK while his application is being processed.
I get the impression you might think you can apply and then you both move to the UK while it is being processed.
Old May 27th 2019, 4:18 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you!
We are both full-time workers earning a good wage, Dave is a heavy truck driver. I'm so glad that they take into account our current financial position rather than just when we are 'starting' all over again in the uk. We are both still fit and healthy and I've been wanting to go home for such a long time (38 yrs in fact) ... it's now or never with age being a rather looming factor.
Hi. Only your salary can be used to meet the financial requirements for the leave to enter spouse visa, however both yours and your husband's can be used for the two subsequent visas (Further Leave to Remain and Indefinite Leave to Remain).
Old May 29th 2019, 1:55 am
Forum Regular

Just to clarify this statement. You can apply for the visa while in NZ but your husband cannot enter the UK to live until the visa has been issued. ie. he can't enter and remain in the UK while his application is being processed.
I get the impression you might think you can apply and then you both move to the UK while it is being processed.
I just wanted to get the ball rolling before we leave NZ. I have seen online application sites that do everything for you and apparently the 'unmarried partner visa' is the one he should apply for? It makes it even more simple if we don't 'have' to get married.
Old May 29th 2019, 2:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I just wanted to get the ball rolling before we leave NZ. I have seen online application sites that do everything for you and apparently the 'unmarried partner visa' is the one he should apply for? It makes it even more simple if we don't 'have' to get married.
You keep implying that you want to start the visa application before you both leave NZ for the UK.

You cannot apply for the visa until you can fulfill the financial requirements (and all other requirements)

Your partner cannot leave NZ to live in the UK until he has his visa

How do you intend to fulfill the financial requirements?
Old May 29th 2019, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

This is from a previous post...
"The most important thing after a genuine relationship is the magic number of £18600. You need to be earning at least per year that in order to sponsor someone. if you have been working in New zealand - you can use your income in the proceeding 12 months towards your application. So you wouldn't be needing to be in a role for 6 months prior - just have a role secured and then you could begin the process. You can also meet the financial requirement through savings - but that would mean would need to have (I believe around £50k). (I believe you can also use his income in the 12 months prior in New Zealand in order to meet the financial requirement)"
Old May 29th 2019, 2:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This is from a previous post...
"The most important thing after a genuine relationship is the magic number of £18600. You need to be earning at least per year that in order to sponsor someone. if you have been working in New zealand - you can use your income in the proceeding 12 months towards your application. So you wouldn't be needing to be in a role for 6 months prior - just have a role secured and then you could begin the process. You can also meet the financial requirement through savings - but that would mean would need to have (I believe around £50k). (I believe you can also use his income in the 12 months prior in New Zealand in order to meet the financial requirement)"
If you (Brit sponsor) have been earning the equivalent of 18,600 GBP in NZ AND you have a job offer in the UK also earning equivalent of 18,600 GBP starting within 3 months of your return, then you can apply for visa in NZ and when issued travel over together,

Is this your situation?
Old May 31st 2019, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

If you (Brit sponsor) have been earning the equivalent of 18,600 GBP in NZ AND you have a job offer in the UK also earning equivalent of 18,600 GBP starting within 3 months of your return, then you can apply for visa in NZ and when issued travel over together,

Is this your situation?
Yes that is correct

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.