Non EEA partner financial requirements questions

Old Apr 20th 2015, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

pokertourist is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Non EEA partner financial requirements questions

Hi peeps, I've read the wiki (very useful indeed) regarding the financial requirements for spouse immigration but still have a couple of things I'm not clear about:

1. Savings of 62500 or more.....let's say I sell my place abroad and transfer 62500 across to my UK bank account. When can I touch that money?! After submitting the spouse immigration application? After initial approval? I ask because the plan would be to use a large chunk of this money as a deposit on a property in the UK asap.

2. I plan to complete a PGCE (Post Graduate Certificate of Education) for which I'd be due a bursary of 12000 for the 12 months it takes to complete. Does this count as a job/income in the eyes of immigration??!

If so I calculate I'd need 16000 + (2.5 x (18600 - 12000) = 32500 in savings....or am I confusing what income+savings versus salaried employment actually means (income from rent, investments etc)??!

If I didn't have enough savings......a newly qualified teachers (NQTs) starting salary is 21000 but I'd have to complete my PGCE and then work for 6 months as a NQT before my partner is entitled to live in the UK? (I'll have no history abroad earning 18600 p.a).

I apologize if these are commonly asked questions I've tried to read the .gov.uk rules pdfs but they are horribly complicated imo.
Old Apr 21st 2015, 2:44 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Non EEA partner financial requirements questions

To clarify a little: I included the second question just in case I end up with less than 62500 in the bank after the sale of my oversees property.

I'm really tempted by the SS route on principle, but that's a whole other thread.
Old Apr 21st 2015, 12:55 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

You can use your cash however you like after the visa is approved.

Your understanding of the method to calculate supplementing earned income with savings is correct. I am unsure of whether or not your bursary counts as income. It seems it should but you need to dig through those PDF's a little deeper to be sure.
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pokertourist
To clarify a little: I included the second question just in case I end up with less than 62500 in the bank after the sale of my oversees property.

I'm really tempted by the SS route on principle, but that's a whole other thread.
Just bare in mind that you may need some or all of those savings at the 2.5 years final application stage dependent upon your income at that time.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

Thanks rebeccajo and mikemike, I'll dig deeper regarding the bursary. If all goes according to plan I'd be earning above the 18600GBP after 2.5 years, but it seems sensible not to spend too much of it until that is the case.