No passport checks travelling to and from IE!

Old Aug 8th 2015, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default No passport checks travelling to and from IE!

I just travelled to Ireland by Ferry with my family and a friend from Uruguay.
We went by car and had our passports ready before driving onto the ferry from Holyhead.

I was very surprised that there were no passport checks to and from Ireland.
I could have been carrying anyone back in the car from IE.

If anyone was to land in Ireland they could possibly enter the UK without immigration even knowing.

Is there an agreement between UK and the Republic of Ireland?
Old Aug 8th 2015, 8:36 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No passport checks travelling to and from IE!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Travel_Area
Old Aug 8th 2015, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
thanks.
good to know
Old Aug 8th 2015, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alfista1
I just travelled to Ireland by Ferry with my family and a friend from Uruguay.
We went by car and had our passports ready before driving onto the ferry from Holyhead.

I was very surprised that there were no passport checks to and from Ireland.
I could have been carrying anyone back in the car from IE.
Was that her first entry on her spouse visa? It's not recommended that people enter via RoI because it's the Common Travel Area and she won't get a UK date stamp in her passport, that she will need later. She would get stamped in in the RoI but not the UK and therefore there is no proof of the day she first entered the UK on her visa.

Keep all the tickets as proof of the date she entered the UK or go out again for a day and enter via UK borders.

Last edited by formula; Aug 8th 2015 at 10:14 am.
Old Aug 8th 2015, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by formula
Was that her first entry on her spouse visa? It's not usually recommended that people enter via RoI because it's the Common Travel Area and she won't get a UK stamp in her passport that she can use later for visas. Keep all her tickets as proof of the date or go to France for a day sop she can get a UK stamp.
She has a stamp from Heathrow on her visa when she first entered the UK in June.