NHS surcharge no option

Old Apr 10th 2015, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default NHS surcharge no option

So we all have to pay this 600 GBP for the first 33 months of a settlement visa now.

My spouse has previously mentioned she wanted private medical insurance.
So if we pay for private we are still forced to pay for the NHS, paying for other people using it.

Don't we have the choice?

Old Apr 10th 2015, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NHS surcharge no option

Hey I guess once my spouse starts working she'll pay less NI as she's paying for the NHS already?
Old Apr 10th 2015, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alfista1
So we all have to pay this 600 GBP for the first 33 months of a settlement visa now.
For the next spouse visa too, until ILR.

My spouse has previously mentioned she wanted private medical insurance.
So if we pay for private we are still forced to pay for the NHS, paying for other people using it.

Don't we have the choice?

It's mandatory.
Old Apr 10th 2015, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Hey I guess once my spouse starts working she'll pay less NI as she's paying for the NHS already?
No. I have private medical insurance, pay NICs and I don't get a rebate.

The same for people who pay for the state schools for other peoples children when they pay for private schooling for their own children, or they don't have children.

Last edited by formula; Apr 10th 2015 at 10:45 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2015, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by formula
For the next spouse visa too, until ILR.

It's mandatory.
Who knows what the future will hold in 33 months? Every month there are harsh changes. Kicking myself so hard for not submitting the online application last week. 90% ready. Was just waiting for my P60 and a couple of other things. Tories got me hard this week. Haven't got my support even though I do not like Ed one bit.

Yes I know it's mandatory. This is the whole point. Double whammy.
Get a job, pay NI and also pay on top of that NHS which NI covers supposedly.
Old Apr 10th 2015, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tories got me hard this week.
Labour MPs voted for this too as did other parties MPs. If they didn't want this charge then it wouldn't have become law. This Bill started it's journey in 2012, went through Parliament and the Lords and finally became law on 14 May 2014.

Kicking myself so hard for not submitting the online application last week. 90% ready. Was just waiting for my P60 and a couple of other things.
How did you miss it? We have been talking about this on this board since last year. There is also a thread on this opening page of this board posted on 20 March, stating the charge will start from 6 April. The immigration fees went up on 6 April too, as they always do every year.

Get a job, pay NI and also pay on top of that NHS which NI covers supposedly.
Many people already do that in the UK but can't use the NHS for free. Some have paid taxes and NICs for 40+ years to the UK and can't have free NHS.

Last edited by formula; Apr 10th 2015 at 11:14 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2015, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by alfista1 View Post
Kicking myself so hard for not submitting the online application last week. 90% ready. Was just waiting for my P60 and a couple of other things.
How did you miss it? We have been talking about this on this board since last year. There is also a thread on this opening page of this board posted on 20 March, stating the charge will start from 6 April. The immigration fees went up on 6 April too, as they always do every year.
I do have other things to do you know than spend all night deciphering Guv papers. Been too busy working and just trying to get the papers together. I just caught the IELTS exam changes in time. Got my wife to do the test 2 weeks ago!! Was distracted by that also.
Old Apr 11th 2015, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

I just caught the IELTS exam changes in time. Got my wife to do the test 2 weeks ago!! Was distracted by that also.
That has been in all the papers and on the TV news in the UK over the last few months because of all the fraud that was being used on a huge scale. Horizen (?) did a programme on it. UKVI has used speech recognition software to catch the fraudsters, and has been busy removing visas, removing UK driving licences, collecting the offenders and deporting and banning for deception to enter/stay in the UK.

That's why all the new test centres have been set up.

Last edited by formula; Apr 11th 2015 at 9:33 am.
Old Apr 11th 2015, 9:44 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

That has been in all the papers and on the TV news in the UK over the last few months because of all the fraud that was being used on a huge scale. Horizen (?) did a programme on it. UKVI has used speech recognition software to catch the fraudsters, and has been busy removing visas, removing UK driving licences, collecting the offenders and deporting and banning for deception to enter/stay in the UK.

That's why all the new test centres have been set up.
AS has been said, UK citizens do not get a rebate if they use private health care, nor do they get any sort of rebate if they decide to send their children to a fee paying school, it's a matter of personal choice to pay for things that you could get free. Lets face it, if you were seriously injured in a road accident, and had to be rushed to hospital, would the ambulance people, of the helicopter people, be bothering to ask you if you wanted to go to the nearest private hospital offering an emergency service, whichmay be a coiuple of hours away, of would they take you to the nearest NHS hospital working on the principle that saving your life was more important than getting you private care. What would happen if you were able to opt out of the NHS, the answer would be chaos, with people having to asses whether you were eligible for NHS treatment before accepting you, watching someone die because they couldn't find a hospital on their scheme to accept you without a long delay. There may well be a time when you are greatful for the NHS and the fct that it will treat you in an emergency, no questions asked.
Old Apr 11th 2015, 2:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

If I send my kids to Eton I should be excused that part of my taxes that goes to fund State Education !??????????????????????
Old Apr 11th 2015, 2:55 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
AS has been said, UK citizens do not get a rebate if they use private health care, nor do they get any sort of rebate if they decide to send their children to a fee paying school, it's a matter of personal choice to pay for things that you could get free. Lets face it, if you were seriously injured in a road accident, and had to be rushed to hospital, would the ambulance people, of the helicopter people, be bothering to ask you if you wanted to go to the nearest private hospital offering an emergency service, whichmay be a coiuple of hours away, of would they take you to the nearest NHS hospital working on the principle that saving your life was more important than getting you private care. What would happen if you were able to opt out of the NHS, the answer would be chaos, with people having to asses whether you were eligible for NHS treatment before accepting you, watching someone die because they couldn't find a hospital on their scheme to accept you without a long delay. There may well be a time when you are greatful for the NHS and the fct that it will treat you in an emergency, no questions asked.
All true, but isn't it also the case in the UK that private medical insurance is relatively low priced because it relies on basic NHS provision in many respects, for instance your private surgeon relies on the NHS to pay his salary and your fee for a private procedure is just icing on the cake for him or her. So that is distinct from choosing to send a kid to a private school that is fully privately financed.

Also, some posts above state that NICs pay for NHS. This is not so, I believe NICs finance your British state pension. NHS is financed by general taxation.
Old Apr 11th 2015, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by robin1234
A
Also, some posts above state that NICs pay for NHS. This is not so, I believe NICs finance your British state pension. NHS is financed by general taxation.
NICs, and the different types of NICs, are also used to decide whether contribution based benefits can be claimed.

Last edited by formula; Apr 11th 2015 at 3:21 pm.
Old Apr 11th 2015, 3:24 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

NICs, and the different types of NICs, are also used to decide whether contribution based benefits can be claimed.
Yes, good point.
Old Apr 11th 2015, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

All true, but isn't it also the case in the UK that private medical insurance is relatively low priced because it relies on basic NHS provision in many respects,
They were, but the new CSIs (Comprehensive Sickness Insurance) that many EEA citizens have to hold if they aren't allowed free NHS, seems to have to cover most things now, even accidents and they must also cover any existing conditions. Some are reporting family cover quotes at nearly £200 a month.

Many EEAs posted they held CSIs as required under free movement, but didn't claim on them as the NHS never checked. With the NHS checks now coming in more will actually have to use their CSIs and I wonder if that might push up the price of CSIs?

Last edited by formula; Apr 11th 2015 at 3:34 pm.
Old Apr 11th 2015, 4:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

All true, but isn't it also the case in the UK that private medical insurance is relatively low priced because it relies on basic NHS provision in many respects, for instance your private surgeon relies on the NHS to pay his salary and your fee for a private procedure is just icing on the cake for him or her. So that is distinct from choosing to send a kid to a private school that is fully privately financed.

Absolutely. And where is the private A&E?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.