Next step going from Tier 2 ICT to Spouse Visa

Old Feb 21st 2016, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Next step going from Tier 2 ICT to Spouse Visa

We're here in the UK. I'm a UKC. The kids are dual UKC/USCs. We moved last January from the USA where I'd been for 26 years. My wife is a USC. We had been trying to move since 2012 and were working towards going the savings route for a Spouse visa. But by a stroke of luck our plans got put on fast forward with a job transfer for my wife from her USA-based firm to the UK-head office. They did the Tier 2 ICT visa for her which was fab.

So we've been in the UK a year and a bit and are loving it. The kids are totally settled in schools and doing amazingly well. My wife is also loving the UK and her job is going really well. The only sticky part really is that I have had a tough time finding a good job. Mainly because we're in Cornwall... so I kind of have to take the rough with the smooth. My wife travels up to London here and there for work but telecommutes. I have some work but it's patchy.

So we don't want to wait any longer, especially with the higher fees on the horizon, so it's time to do the spousal visa application.

To be honest, it's been 2 years since I had to get my head around what we need to get together. Her job is very stable and she's now worked with the same firm for almost 4 years. She earns in excess of the salary requirement on her own.

So for the people in the know... is it just paperwork for me to pull together now? Do I need to worry about the fact that I'm a minimal earner and she's making the money? We have bank accounts, rental agreements, I'm on the electoral roll, we have utilities and all sorts in both our names, council taxes etc. She's registered with HMRC and has been paying taxes. We have pictures of our family exploits here in the UK. We've been married for 10 years. Anything to be concerned about or am I being a worrier? We just want to get this (first part of the process) behind us, especially with new fees AND the new Euro reforms on the horizon. Thanks!
Old Feb 21st 2016, 12:28 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Next step going from Tier 2 ICT to Spouse Visa

As your wife is already resident in the UK you can use both your incomes to meet the financial requirements. It should be a fairly straightforward process although I would recommend paying the extra to allow your wife to do a same day premium service application otherwise she may be without her passport for up to six months. Switching sooner rather than later is a good idea as any time spent on an ICT visa doesn't count towards ILR and, as you say, the fees will go up again in April.
Old Feb 21st 2016, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute

How much extra is it? And thanks @BritinParis (as always).
Old Feb 21st 2016, 1:27 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrMuffin
How much extra is it? And thanks @BritinParis (as always).
£400
Old Feb 21st 2016, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

And I assume we can't do copies of her passport? 6 months is a long time to take a chance in case a relative falls ill or something, or she needs to travel to the USA for a meeting. £400 ouch! That's like six week's worth of careful food budgeting!
Old Feb 21st 2016, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by MrMuffin
And I assume we can't do copies of her passport? 6 months is a long time to take a chance in case a relative falls ill or something, or she needs to travel to the USA for a meeting. £400 ouch! That's like six week's worth of careful food budgeting!
Conservatively speaking you should budget around £6000-7000 over the next five years for immigration fees if your wife wishes to become a British citizen.