Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

New income proposals for British citizen sponsoring their Non-EU Spouse

New income proposals for British citizen sponsoring their Non-EU Spouse

Old Nov 17th 2011, 4:17 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New income proposals for British citizen sponsoring their Non-EU Spouse

Originally Posted by formula
I love reading Uk yankee and the lengths they go to to get to the UK. The guy I mentioned before who arrived in the UK in the summer and who said his plan was to get ILR and then claim welfare; it seems he and his new wife don't get on. Now he is asking if he can get ILR through domestic violence and then stay in the UK.
There will always be a minority of bad apples as there are in the US and lots of countries. The fact of the matter is, 13 years ago the only extra cost to me of DH moving in with me was his food. He gives me £200 a month for his share of groceries. That's now, back then food was cheaper. My mortage and gas/electricity didn't increase. As a couple with no kids we wouldn't have even been eligible for benefits anyway even had his visa not been stamped 'No Recourse To Public Funds.' He got a job very quickly but if not we'd have had to ask his family for money. £200 a month equals £2400 a year, assuming a very very bleak scenario of him being almost unemployable.

I think you & I both agree on making it harder to abuse the system. We disagree on how and also on how many innocent (ie those who won't claim benefits) prisoners it is acceptable to punish as a conswequence.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New income proposals for British citizen sponsoring their Non-EU Spouse

Originally Posted by Squirrel

I think you & I both agree on making it harder to abuse the system. We disagree on how and also on how many innocent (ie those who won't claim benefits) prisoners it is acceptable to punish as a conswequence.
I don't think our feelings on the matter are that far apart at all.

Someone on another list summed it all up really - the last government created an open door policy on immigration (new easy visas and no restrictions on numbers of eastern europeans like other western countries implemented, because the low skilled will vote Labour) that now they have to get hard on immigration, even harder than before the open immigration policy, to protect the UK.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 4:40 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Well I think you have proved a point for me.
Eh?

You tell me how much a month it is and I tell you that was what I was living on (quite comfortably with three holidays abroad every year, btw) and paying £400 for housing costs that I wouldn't have to pay this time and that proves your point?

Most people would say that 406 per calendar month would provide a pretty miserable living standard
And they'd be dead right.

But with housing costs taken care of and more than double that amount to live on it's a little different is it not?

Not forgetting, of course, all that money in the bank for extras.

Last edited by BristolUK; Nov 17th 2011 at 5:40 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

manny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nice

Here are some facts for you. Income based welfare payments are based on income. Some welfare payments like Tax Credits, don't even have a capital threashhold, so you could have 100k in the bank and still claim these income based welfare payments, as they only count the interest on the savings for those welfare payments.

If someone is employable to Uk employers, if they lose their job they have a good chance of getting another. If they aren't wanted by UK employers, their savings will soon go.
How do you know they have a good chance of getting another job? Last time I check the British economy isn't in a great state just like many other European nations including the US. I don't agree that a sponsor's savings 'will' go if they are out of work as again it depends on every individual's circumstances where some may have a large fixed deposits in a bank account which will provide them regular monthly income from the interest earned without touching their capital.

That's your opinion, but if you want facts the office of statistics shows that the higher numbers of immigrants to the UK are from non-EU countries.
Of course it is my opinion but, unlike yourself, I clearly specify that I am stating my view/ opinion, I refrain using words like 'must' 'will' on an important information as that comes across too confirmed and can mislead others, which is how many of your statements comes across. Again, you are saying that official statistics show higher number of immigrants to the UK are from non-EU nation without providing an official reference to this 'factual' statement. If non-EU family immigration is more than immigration influx from EU nations (including Eastern Europeans) I will be surprised but will accept it and move on. Only reason the UK Govt is going after non-EU family is because their hands are tied when it comes to controlling flooding of immigrants from within the EU.

I think it is both. Immigration is nudging 70million and the UK resources can't cope with those numbers. The governments immigration policies are clearly showing that they only want foreign nationals who will help the country. The Welfare Reform bill will do it's bit too in cutting numbers.
I agree with this comment as that does seems to be the case.

Last edited by manny1980; Nov 17th 2011 at 4:50 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 4:55 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squirrel
I think you are wrong, I believe UK citizens can only claim benefits for themselves, not any extra for time-limited dependants.
Correct. Where immigration restrictions exist the spouse is not paid for on a claim. Although (inconsistently) resources of the foreign spouse are deducted.

I don't buy your arguement that £1 a year should make the difference between being able to live with your spouse or not. What are you supposed to do if you work full time already and earn £24,999? Try and get a part time job paying £1 a year?
Which perfectly illustrates the folly of an inflexible system

Originally Posted by pennylessinindia
lets hope all of you who are so vociferous now made comments on the consultation earlier in the year
I did. Not that it makes a lot of difference but I'm always willing to try.

Why do so many people think it impossible to survive on certain incomes just because they spend so much more?
Old Nov 17th 2011, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manny1980
How do you know they have a good chance of getting another job? Last time I check the British economy isn't in a great state just like many other European nations including the US. I don't agree that a sponsor's savings 'will' go if they are out of work as again it depends on every individual's circumstances where some may have a large fixed deposits in a bank account which will provide them regular monthly income from the interest earned without touching their capital.
That would have to be a very hefty amount for a family to be able to live on the interest, for a few years; as you say, the British economy is in a bad way and therefore, they might not get a job. But wouldn't that mean that those families who didn't have three hundred thousand plus in savings, wouldn't be able to bring their foreign national spouse to the UK?

Originally Posted by manny1980
Of course it is my opinion but, unlike yourself, I clearly specify that I am stating my view/ opinion, I refrain using words like 'must' 'will' on an important information as that comes across too confirmed and can mislead others, which is how many of your statements comes across. Again, you are saying that official statistics show higher number of immigrants to the UK are from non-EU nation without providing an official reference to this 'factual' statement.
If you read my post again, you will see that I stated that the figures were from the office of statistics; which is quite easy to google. I would do it for you, but I never reward bad behaviour.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Correct.
No wrong; tax credits (WTC and CTC). Plus other benefits for foreign national step children; LHA (extra room rate) and child benefit are the ones that spring to mind; and I don't even claim any of them.

Was it you who said you use to work in benefits?
Old Nov 17th 2011, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Absolutely it is. (it's a similar sum to what the four of us here were on)

It's just a little less than I was taking home in in 2004 when I was paying £400 on mortgage repayments.

Do you know how much people on JSA have to live excluding housing costs? £106 a week for a couple. Or £460 a calendar month.
If the JSA couple are childless (so don't have access other benefits) and are age 25 or over so they get the full adult rate of £105.95, then they will soon be in debt if they try to live long term on that per week. That payment is a basic survival payment and to encourage people to get back to work. They will have to survive with very little or no heating, during the winter.

Living on £1000 a month for two mortgage free? Piece of cake. Even without £50k in the bank.
I pay £500 per month just in council tax, water rates and gas and electric and I hardly have the heating on as I am out so much! What about funding repairs to that mortgage free house?

Last edited by formula; Nov 17th 2011 at 6:08 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 7:19 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I was thinking along the same lines, they are stopping legal British citizens from bringing their wife and children home. Maybe they should start by stopping illegals and overstayers before going after British citizens.
And make it illegal for people on benefits to get married or have children. That would make about as much sense, too (more, to think of it). (in comparison to the gov't policy, not your suggestion)
Old Nov 17th 2011, 8:21 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
And make it illegal for people on benefits to get married or have children. That would make about as much sense, too (more, to think of it). (in comparison to the gov't policy, not your suggestion)
True.
I just think if Dh and I had to meet those requirements we wouldn't be able to move home if one of us were not a UKC. Even though we could support ourselves quite easily living at my Mums and working a couple of minimum wage jobs which is our worst case scenario, we have one child left as a dependent and live so frugally in the US non of my UK friends can believe it.
Lucky for us we are all UKC's. But my UKC son has a USC girlfriend and I see it going long term, so he better make sure he's got a great paying job before any engagements or weddings come about should the relationship survive.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 12:46 am
Just Joined

Jurls is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
True.
I just think if Dh and I had to meet those requirements we wouldn't be able to move home if one of us were not a UKC.

This is what worries me!! I can see my scenario (post #12) not fitting in with these requirements and therefore we'd be stuck in Australia with my parents alone in the UK. I suppose I could always leave my husband in Australia and return with the kids, but then I'd probably need to go on benefits!!
Old Nov 18th 2011, 3:35 am
Oscar nominated

No wrong; tax credits (WTC and CTC). Plus other benefits for foreign national step children; LHA (extra room rate) and child benefit are the ones that spring to mind; and I don't even claim any of them.

Was it you who said you use to work in benefits?
Aren't we talking means tested benefits? So that rules out Child Benefit.

We had this discussion before. It's arguable that WTC is a benefit in the normal everyday sense. That aside, yes you're correct. I used to work in Benefits. That's the DWP.

Tax Credits are not administered by the DWP. I thought you knew that.

However, according to what I just read, there are restrictions on WTC where a spouse is subject to immigration control.

If the JSA couple are childless (so don't have access other benefits) and are age 25 or over so they get the full adult rate of £105.95, then they will soon be in debt if they try to live long term on that per week.
There are people who live on that for years. They're rent is taken care of and they manage. They have no choice but to if they can't get a job.

But did you miss, or are you ignoring the part, where I was actually talking about living on more than twice that income and backed by a hefty sum of capital?

I pay £500 per month just in council tax, water rates and gas and electric and I hardly have the heating on as I am out so much! What about funding repairs to that mortgage free house?
How nice for you.

I just checked my old house. £100 a month there for council tax. Repairs? The capital sum.

Believe me....if I and my wife were living on the income I mentioned (as opposed to what you imagine), backed by the capital I mentioned then I can assure you that based on my realities and budgeting over the last 38 years I would be so much better off than all but the first few years when I was living in my parents' house and saving more money than I could spend.

But it would not meet the new conditions mentioned.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 9:13 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Having a job is no guarantee any more than savings anyway. The UKC could get a job on over £25K just to get their spouse's visa, then give up the job after the spouse moves here.

It's all laughable really because if they set the limit too high (I believe higher than say 1.25x the minimum wage), it WILL be challanged in court and the UK Border Agency will have to back down. As I said, it already was forced to amend its policy on the 21 minimum age requirement. So really they can decide what they like, it makes no difference to the eventual outcome down the road.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 5:42 pm
Oscar nominated

I was chatting with Brian* this morning. Like me, he married a Canadian but he moved a bit longer ago. He's had his fill of winters here is considering going back to Wales and his wife is receptive to the move.

He has a UK pension of about £100 a week and her employee pension is around £200 a week on current exchange rate.

Together they'd have no need of pension credits and could probably find a small flat to afford. They have some savings (mostly hers as she was in well paid employment) that would help them in their remaining years.

Unfortunately the new requirements won't be satisfied.

If he returns on his own, there will of course be no restrictions on any support needed.

So all those in favour of the change will presumably be happy at having to foot the bill for his Pension Credits and Housing Benefit even though it would be more sensible to accept them both and and have them provide for each other with no recourse to benefits.

*not his real name
Old Nov 18th 2011, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

From what I understand for the various reports:

The requirement is the same. The UK national must have a job to show they can support their foreign spouse.

This is completely false. There is absolutely no requirement for the UK national to have a job and there never has been. We've been through the SV process twice (06 and 10) and in both cases I did not have a job upon arrival. We do have funds and I am very employable but that's not what you are saying.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.