Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Need an EU marriage visa to for non-EU spouse to move to Eu country for Singh route?

Need an EU marriage visa to for non-EU spouse to move to Eu country for Singh route?

Old Mar 7th 2015, 1:12 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need an EU marriage visa to for non-EU spouse to move to Eu country for Singh rou

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
You'll notice I used the word "often". Your mileage may vary.
Hey, I'll take 'often' over never
Old Mar 7th 2015, 1:20 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need an EU marriage visa to for non-EU spouse to move to Eu country for Singh rou

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Hey, I'll take 'often' over never
Well, we've never had council tax included, I suspect the word should have been 'rarely'.
Old Mar 7th 2015, 1:57 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Since we are splitting hairs, it should be noted that rent often includes rates and/or council tax. My husband's weekly rental payment did.

in Scotland yes, in middle England maybe in a rooming house, but I believe even today council tax is extra to the rent.

On the topic, the £18,600 gross living wage is tough for the average Jane or Joe or is it?

As for the couple mid 30's only one of them is working, on ~minimum wage, can you imagine on a gross of £250/wk after NIC & tax deduction, the net is only £226.82.

Their rent is £100/wk, council tax £25/wk. Sheffield council housing allowance/benefit with council tax relief amounts to £46.20/wk.

The couple are left with £148.02/wk for living expenses (£226.82/wk - £78.80/wk rent & council tax) It doesn't seem too difficult, or does it?

Either the spouse has to work, or the only person working needs to double up the work hours (two or more jobs) or find a better paying job

Last edited by not2old; Mar 7th 2015 at 1:59 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2015, 2:17 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't know that, I thought that tenants had to pay council tax themselves (separately from the rent). Could be good news for us, as I don't think this bloody flat will be built by the time we move over (if it's ever built), so we might have to rent for a while.
in Liverpool owning a condo, you'll be paying council tax + the management condo fees ongoing

If you rented a unit in a condo or an apartment/house in Liverpool, then rent is one payment, with council tax as an extra separate payment.

Nice (I mean nice) one bedroom flat in Liverpool about £500 - £700/mth, council tax ~£100/mth

Now, you may find a landlord that will offer you 'council tax included' - then you likely figure the rent will be £100/mth more than a rental that council tax was extra.

Maybe a holiday home rental for the short period?
Old Mar 7th 2015, 2:40 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
in Liverpool owning a condo, you'll be paying council tax + the management condo fees ongoing

If you rented a unit in a condo or an apartment/house in Liverpool, then rent is one payment, with council tax as an extra separate payment.

Nice (I mean nice) one bedroom flat in Liverpool about £500 - £700/mth, council tax ~£100/mth

Now, you may find a landlord that will offer you 'council tax included' - then you likely figure the rent will be £100/mth more than a rental that council tax was extra.

Maybe a holiday home rental for the short period?
Ta for the info, not2old. We haven't got a clue which way we should go - the first decision we have to make is whether to try and pull out of this off-plan flat purchase (no problems pulling out, it's whether we get our money back!) We've made a few 'progress payments' on it already, the trouble is, there's very little 'progress' on-site. Not at all happy about it
Old Mar 7th 2015, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

Colouk is an unknown quantity at this point

read the following, page by page - step by step

http://ec.europa.eu/justice/policies...vement_low.pdf
Thanks for your response. When I have a spare few hours to read through that document, I will. In the mean time, if anyone could just share their knowledge with me as this forum intends, and let me know if to do the Singh route and move to France or Spain, for example, with my non-EU spouse for 6 months we need a spouse visa through the French/Spanish authorities, that would be much appreciated
Old Mar 7th 2015, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Tell that to all the people living on the pension!
UK pensioners don't need to find money for housing as they are mortgage free.
If they have a low income then they don't pay any Council Tax.
They won't have children to keep.
Their travel costs are free.
Their prescriptions are free.
Their eyetests are free.
They receive a winter fuel allowance.
60s are the new 40s.
They don't pay NICs if they are still working.
They get special savings rates.
Ect

Last edited by formula; Mar 7th 2015 at 10:31 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2015, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't know that, I thought that tenants had to pay council tax themselves (separately from the rent).
AFAIK, most landlords don't include the council tax in the rent.

Even those on benefits have to contribute something towards their Council Tax; unless they are pensioners on benefits.
Old Mar 7th 2015, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Where the rules tilt away from a logical definition of fairness is using benefit calculations for a couple while only counting the wage of one person.
When the person being sponsored has a job in the UK, their income can be used, but if they arrive in the UK without a job what guarantee is there how quickly they will find a job? If they have skills that are in demand in the UK and will quickly find a job, they can apply for a work visa and then use their income to meet the spouse visa. If they want to improve their chances of getting a job by furthering their education in the UK, as a student they can use their earnings towards a spouse visa too.

IMO this expectation of 18600 would not be unreasonable if the savings offset were more reasonable. Not counting the first 16000 of a persons savings is ludicrous, especially when a multiplier is added on top of it.
The savings route is just another of the many sponsor catagories.
18.6 (The minimum financial income requirement per year) X 2.5 (the length of the spouse visa) + 16k (the amount that is too hight to claim most income based benefits) = 62.5k.

There are many catagories to choose from to be able to sponsor someone.

While I have always been quite vocal in my opposition to the rules, I am not one of those who believe that ANY income rules violate the concept of family life. A family must have money to live on after all. But let's have financial sponsorship for a family visa be some reflection of real life after all. Anything less is some form of human gerrymandering.
The financial requirement was brought in so that the sponsor now pays for their choice to bring someone to the UK, to remove some of that burden from the UK taxpayers. We have seen posts on this site where someone has got a spouse visa, then went straight down the benefits office with their spouse virtually as soon as they got off the plane.

Last edited by formula; Mar 7th 2015 at 11:36 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2015, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
Their eyetests are free.
60s are the new 40s.
Ect
I will
Old Mar 8th 2015, 9:10 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
Their eyetests are free.
60s are the new 40s.
Ect
I'm not..
Old Mar 8th 2015, 11:58 am
Dichotomus tinker

it seems that a pensioner(s) on low income below the 'guaranteed credit' can get council tax discount/relief, even if they have some savings

https://www.gov.uk/pension-credit

All daft in the UK system of benefits

Citizens Advice - Council Tax Reduction - how is it worked out

If you are entitled to Guaranteed Pension Credit, you should receive maximum Council Tax Reduction, which is 100% of the council tax payable, less any deductions for non-dependants.

If you are working or receive any other type of benefit, including Tax Credits, the amount of benefit you get will be based on all income and capital that is received by you and your partner. Your benefit will be worked out by comparing your total weekly income with your applicable amount. The applicable amount is the allowance set by the Government to take account of your individual or family's needs.
Old Mar 8th 2015, 12:59 pm
Concierge

If both of a couple are on state pension, then they will get a council tax reduction, and, if renting, housing benefit, once the income goes over a specific level, then these benefits disappear. The level and amount of housing benefit and council tax benefit does, however, depend on the council after this government decided to allow councils to set the levels after they reduced payments to councils. For a single person council tax is reduced by 25%.
It will depend on the rent you are paying as to whether the benefit will mean that you get all your rent back or just a percentage, the councils have set rental levels for different sizes of families
Old Mar 8th 2015, 1:26 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

it seems that a pensioner(s) on low income below the 'guaranteed credit' can get council tax discount/relief, even if they have some savings

https://www.gov.uk/pension-credit

All daft in the UK system of benefits

Citizens Advice - Council Tax Reduction - how is it worked out

If you are entitled to Guaranteed Pension Credit, you should receive maximum Council Tax Reduction, which is 100% of the council tax payable, less any deductions for non-dependants.

If you are working or receive any other type of benefit, including Tax Credits, the amount of benefit you get will be based on all income and capital that is received by you and your partner. Your benefit will be worked out by comparing your total weekly income with your applicable amount. The applicable amount is the allowance set by the Government to take account of your individual or family's needs.
"Capital" is an asset such as savings. My understanding is anyone including pensioners with savings over 16000 cannot get housing benefit.
Old Mar 8th 2015, 3:52 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Colouk
Thanks for your response. When I have a spare few hours to read through that document, I will. In the mean time, if anyone could just share their knowledge with me as this forum intends, and let me know if to do the Singh route and move to France or Spain, for example, with my non-EU spouse for 6 months we need a spouse visa through the French/Spanish authorities, that would be much appreciated
no you do not need a spouse visa from another country, you are exercising your treaty rights to live there, and take your spouse with you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.