Need advice, please.

Old May 27th 2014, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

fishie74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need advice, please.

Hi all- First post.

Well, I'm finding myself in quite a pickle. I'm needing to return back to the UK around the end of September after being in the States since 1998, due to a divorce

It would be an easy thing to do had I not let my passport expire. I've googled what I need to do, and it appears easy enough except for the countersignature (I have a Red passport exp. May 07). I am Johnny No Mates...not one person I can think of to sign a photo. My appearance has changed in the fact that I now am pretty bald and had hair back then! Does this require me to get a countersignature? Have tried calling the UK Passport Office but am not giving the 'abroad' option as I have a internet phone- something they are apparently aware of.

What really sucks is that I also in the middle of getting my green-card renewed..a complete waste of $450 Had the fingerprints/photos done and got the extension until Nov 14- Just waiting on the replacement. Guess that serves no purpose after the divorce?

Almost 40 (great birthday present for me, huh?!) and really worried about living in London again after being out in the sticks for so long.

Thanks for any help with passport info

P.
Old May 27th 2014, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

Foffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Need advice, please.

Hello,
Sorry, I am not really sure if you mean you don't know anyone who can sign your photo in the UK or in the world.
The countersignatory can be from the US, he/she can even be your doctor or dentist, check this link:
https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications

Ciao
Vivien
Old May 27th 2014, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

fishie74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Vivien-

I have a few good friends back in the UK, but none in a profession that the Passport Office give as an example. In all the time I've been here, I've been to the doctor once- he wouldn't know me from Adam although my wife (still that for now anyway) lives at the doctors office. I'm pretty sure none of them would be willing to give up their passports details for me anyhow.

So, yes...The World Guess you could say I've got problems.

I read somewhere that they have contingencies for this situation and that was why I was trying to call them. Not a good situation to be in.

Thanks for replying

P.

Originally Posted by Foffion
Hello,
Sorry, I am not really sure if you mean you don't know anyone who can sign your photo in the UK or in the world.
The countersignatory can be from the US, he/she can even be your doctor or dentist, check this link:
https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications

Ciao
Vivien
Old May 27th 2014, 9:32 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fishie74
Hi all- First post.

Well, I'm finding myself in quite a pickle. I'm needing to return back to the UK around the end of September after being in the States since 1998, due to a divorce

It would be an easy thing to do had I not let my passport expire. I've googled what I need to do, and it appears easy enough except for the countersignature (I have a Red passport exp. May 07). I am Johnny No Mates...not one person I can think of to sign a photo. My appearance has changed in the fact that I now am pretty bald and had hair back then! Does this require me to get a countersignature? Have tried calling the UK Passport Office but am not giving the 'abroad' option as I have a internet phone- something they are apparently aware of.

What really sucks is that I also in the middle of getting my green-card renewed..a complete waste of $450 Had the fingerprints/photos done and got the extension until Nov 14- Just waiting on the replacement. Guess that serves no purpose after the divorce?

Almost 40 (great birthday present for me, huh?!) and really worried about living in London again after being out in the sticks for so long.

Needing to return? Presumably you're aware that since you have a green card, you are normally able to remain in the United States. A divorce does not change that, unless in some cases where there is a conditional (2 year) green card and usually not even then, if proper steps are followed.

Or is it a question of wanting to return, as distinct from needing to?
Old May 27th 2014, 9:34 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Needing to return? Presumably you're aware that since you have a green card, you are normally able to remain in the United States. A divorce does not change that, unless in some cases where there is a conditional (2 year) green card and usually not even then, if proper steps are followed.

Or is it a question of wanting to return, as distinct from needing to?
Surely Citizenship is also an option here, in fact might well be better.
Old May 27th 2014, 10:04 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest you would need a countersignature from what you've said. Check the link that Foffion posted - there's a range of professional people you can get to sign your photo and form.
Old May 28th 2014, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

My counter signatory was not of the professions listed in the instructions either; however, she is a business owner.