NARIC certification?

Old Feb 8th 2019, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

Rosa253 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation NARIC certification?

Hi, Wondering if anyone can help us, moving back to the UK Indian spouse who completed masters degree at UK university. We have the full signed academic transcript to submit, but read that university docs should be certified by NARIC too https://www.naric.org.uk/visas%20and...y/Default.aspx

Does anyone know if this is compulsory?

Thank you!!
Old Feb 8th 2019, 1:11 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NARIC certification?

If your spouse is wanting to use his Masters to prove his knowledge of English, then yes it's compulsory
https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/knowledge-of-english
Old Feb 8th 2019, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

Bingbing25 will become famous soon enoughBingbing25 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
If your spouse is wanting to use his Masters to prove his knowledge of English, then yes it's compulsory
https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/knowledge-of-english
I thought that NARIC is only for non-UK degrees? Since the purpose of NARIC is to show what level a non-UK degree would be in the UK, you wouldn't need to have your UK degree certified that way.
Old Feb 8th 2019, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Bingbing25 will become famous soon enoughBingbing25 will become famous soon enough

https://www.gov.uk/english-language/degrees-in-english

Here it says if your degree was taught in the UK you only need your degree certificate. I submitted both my certificate & transcript, but transcript alone is fine.
Old Feb 8th 2019, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

That's what we thought - that we'd only need to get the university docs certified by academic registry and then could submit with our application package, but now we're confused!! Do they really need another level of certification for UK degrees when already signed by academic registrar/stamped and sealed by the UK uni?
Old Feb 8th 2019, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rosa253 View Post
That's what we thought - that we'd only need to get the university docs certified by academic registry and then could submit with our application package, but now we're confused!! Do they really need another level of certification for UK degrees when already signed by academic registrar/stamped and sealed by the UK uni?
I don't know what you mean by 'another level of certification'. You get a degree certificate when you graduate, and you can order official transcripts. Submit one of them.
Old Feb 8th 2019, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you for the replies
Old Feb 8th 2019, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bingbing25 View Post
I don't know what you mean by 'another level of certification'. You get a degree certificate when you graduate, and you can order official transcripts. Submit one of them.
meaning NARIC
Old Feb 8th 2019, 1:37 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.gov.uk/english-language/degrees-in-english

Here it says if your degree was taught in the UK you only need your degree certificate. I submitted both my certificate & transcript, but transcript alone is fine.
That link specifically relates to people applying for citizenship or ILR, neither are applicable to the OP's spouse. However I do agree that there's some ambiguity, as the link I provided for proving knowledge of English for the first spouse visa doesn't specifically mention UK degrees. Common sense would say that a UK degree wouldn't need NARIC certification, but I tend not to trust anything that's not explicitly written down.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Feb 8th 2019 at 1:40 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2019, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

That link specifically relates to people applying for citizenship or ILR, neither are applicable to the OP's spouse. However I do agree that there's some ambiguity, as the link I provided for proving knowledge of English for the first spouse visa doesn't specifically mention UK degrees. Common sense would say that a UK degree wouldn't need NARIC certification, but I tend not to trust anything that's not explicitly written down.
Hmm, that's true. I will be bemused to receive my rejection letter that says 'You do not meet the English language requirement as you didn't provide evidence that your Bachelor's degree from the University of London is equivalent to the UK bachelor's degree'.
Old Feb 8th 2019, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

The below is specifically for entry clearance, not ILR.

English language requirement

E-ECP.4.1. The applicant must provide specified evidence that they-
  1. (a) are a national of a majority English speaking country listed in paragraph GEN.1.6.;
  2. (b) have passed an English language test in speaking and listening at a minimum of level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages with a provider approved by the Secretary of State;
  3. (c) have an academic qualification which is either a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD awarded by an educational establishment in the UK; or, if awarded by an educational establishment outside the UK, is deemed by UK NARIC to meet or exceed the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the UK, and UK NARIC has confirmed that the degree was taught or researched in English to level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages or above; or
  4. (d) are exempt from the English language requirement under paragraph E-ECP.4.2.
Old Feb 8th 2019, 1:59 pm
Concierge

The below is specifically for entry clearance, not ILR.

English language requirement

E-ECP.4.1. The applicant must provide specified evidence that they-
  1. (a) are a national of a majority English speaking country listed in paragraph GEN.1.6.;
  2. (b) have passed an English language test in speaking and listening at a minimum of level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages with a provider approved by the Secretary of State;
  3. (c) have an academic qualification which is either a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD awarded by an educational establishment in the UK; or, if awarded by an educational establishment outside the UK, is deemed by UK NARIC to meet or exceed the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the UK, and UK NARIC has confirmed that the degree was taught or researched in English to level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages or above; or
  4. (d) are exempt from the English language requirement under paragraph E-ECP.4.2.
Thanks Bingbing, good to know. Could you please provide the link, as I'm sure there'll be others looking for this info in the future.
Old Feb 8th 2019, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Bingbing, good to know. Could you please provide the link, as I'm sure there'll be others looking for this info in the future.
It's here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigrat...family-members

under 'family life with partner' section.
Old Feb 8th 2019, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you for your replies!
Old Mar 26th 2019, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

We're just coming back to this as we expect its either 1,2,3 or 4 that would need to be met. But would an English language test be compulsory even if 3 was met? The wording doesn't explicitly say 'either 1,2,3 or 4' so we are not sure if meeting one alone is enough?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.