Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

My (UKC) wife (USC) would like to get ILR and then Citizenship

My (UKC) wife (USC) would like to get ILR and then Citizenship

Old Jan 6th 2019, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

crowding is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My (UKC) wife (USC) would like to get ILR and then Citizenship

Hi. Thanks in advance for any help offered!
I was directed to this forum from a post I made about hopefully moving with my wife to the US. It was advised to get my wife UK Citizenship first.

Background:
  • I am a UKC (born and lived in UK my whole life)
  • My wife is a USC
  • My wife and I got married in August 2013 in the UK
  • My wife moved to the UK in 2007 to study
  • Initially, she was over on a Student Visa, and studied for 4 years
  • After she finished her studies, she was on a Post-Study Work Visa for 2 years
  • After that, we got married and she has been on a Spousal Visa since (2.5 years and then the renewal)
  • Her Spouse/Partner Visa expires in Mid March this year
We intend in the next 2-3 years or so to move to the US, but would like UK as a return option.

Am I correct that we need to do the following sequence:
1. Apply for ILR immediately (well, some time next month with the 28-days before expiry thing)
2. When my wife has ILR, apply for Citizenship

I'm very nervous about the UK Knowledge Test part - I'm British by birth and can't pass it regularly. My wife struggles with anxiety and a pass-or-die test like this will scare the crap out of her.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 12:14 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My (UKC) wife (USC) would like to get ILR and then Citizenship

Providing she has accumulated five years on spouse visas come March then she will meet the residence requirements for ILR. As a US citizen she will meet the English language requirement by virtue of her citizenship. She will need to take and pass the Life in the UK Test however. It is not particularly onerous provides she commits some time and effort to studying for it. Once her ILR is granted then, as the spouse of a British citizen, she will become immediately eligible for naturalisation as a British citizen.