Are my kids British citizens?

Old Feb 10th 2017, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

domainseek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are my kids British citizens?

I was born in the UK and lived there until 1998. Married my wife in 2004 in the US and have 3 kids who were born in the US. Does that make them able to apply for UK passports/UK citizens?

Basically I have a job offer in London and want to relocate the whole family.

Last edited by domainseek; Feb 10th 2017 at 7:13 pm. Reason: clarify
Old Feb 10th 2017, 10:57 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are my kids British citizens?

Providing you were married to their mother when they were born then yes, they should all be British citizens by descent and therefore entitled to British passports. You need only apply for them.
Old Feb 11th 2017, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

If the OP's children are British Citizens as BiP said in #2, the OP will need to apply for their British passport from the USA using the link below -

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Another point for the OP to consider is whether he wishes to apply for US citizenship before relocating back to the UK if he has not done so already.
Old Feb 13th 2017, 5:24 am
Just Joined

Ok great. I was born 9/9/1983. I have completed their passport applications. Thanks for your help!
Old Feb 13th 2017, 7:24 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by domainseek
Ok great. I was born 9/9/1983. I have completed their passport applications. Thanks for your help!
If you were born after 1 January 1983 then you would need one of your parents to be a British citizen or legally settled in the UK in order for you to be a British citizen. Providing that is true then the rest of the advice stands.
Old Feb 13th 2017, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

Yes both my parents were born in the UK and it states that on my birth certificate. I plan on sending in their US passports, my birth certificate of UK birth and my marriage certificate. I think that is sufficient?
Old Feb 13th 2017, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes both my parents were born in the UK and it states that on my birth certificate. I plan on sending in their US passports, my birth certificate of UK birth and my marriage certificate. I think that is sufficient?
Please see link below for details -

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...e_G3_10.16.pdf
Old Feb 13th 2017, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

Ok so I see:
evidence of your grandparents’ claim to British nationality by providing their birth certificates and, in the case of grandfathers, the marriage certificate to your grandmother. This does not apply if your parent’s British nationality is based on registration, naturalisation or their immigration status.
This means I need to send my parents' original birth certificates and original marriage certificate? Are copies acceptable?
Old Feb 13th 2017, 4:27 pm

Ok so I see:

This means I need to send my parents' original birth certificates and original marriage certificate? Are copies acceptable?
They need to be original documents, that is no photocopies. You can obtain new copies from the General Register Office for £9.25 a pop for births and marriages in England and Wales.
Old Feb 13th 2017, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ok so I see:

You can order your parent's birth and marriage certificates using the link below -

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Please note that the General Register Office only deals with birth, death and marriages recorded in England and Wales.
Old Feb 13th 2017, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

That's great! That way I don't have to worry my very worrisome mum to get her original BC and stuff sent. You guys really are a class act in helping - alleviated MANY of the questions/concerns I had.
Old Feb 13th 2017, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

If your whole family is coming back to the UK for good, you may want to register all your children's birth with the British Foreign Office. This will make obtaining your children's birth certificate in the UK a lot easier.

I took liberty to enter what we know about the OP and his children in the gov.uk website and the link below will tell you more about the process -

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth/...s/same_country
Old Feb 13th 2017, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

Good call - will definitely do that. Now if you can find me a nice rental house for about £1500 on the Victoria line with 3-4 bedrooms and willing to take a dog then I'll be taking you out for a nice steak dinner when I arrive. :P
Old Feb 14th 2017, 11:10 pm

Good call - will definitely do that. Now if you can find me a nice rental house for about £1500 on the Victoria line with 3-4 bedrooms and willing to take a dog then I'll be taking you out for a nice steak dinner when I arrive. :P
I'm good but I'm not a miracle worker

Let me if you find a property like that!