My experience of going the Surinder Singh route so far

Reply

Old Jan 9th 2018, 5:23 pm
  #1396  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 54
spidergirl6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My experience of going the Surinder Singh route so far

I dont think he wants back here again
spidergirl6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th 2018, 5:26 pm
  #1397  
Remainer
 
DaveLovesDee's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Swansea, Wales
Posts: 15,769
DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My experience of going the Surinder Singh route so far

Originally Posted by spidergirl6 View Post
He hates it because of the wage and long hours ,and he doesnt have his residance card yet thats in march.
Originally Posted by spidergirl6 View Post
I dont think he wants back here again
He's unlikely to get his Maltese Residence Card then.

He also won't be applying for a UK Family Permit without a Maltese RC either. Are you staying in Malta, going to Morocco, or returning to the UK?
DaveLovesDee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th 2018, 5:28 pm
  #1398  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 54
spidergirl6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My experience of going the Surinder Singh route so far

Am staying in malta i love it here got a good job.Things have not been great between me and my husband so thats why i want him back before the visa
spidergirl6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th 2018, 5:30 pm
  #1399  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 54
spidergirl6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My experience of going the Surinder Singh route so far

I just need to know if i get him to madrid he can fly out on his own from there?
spidergirl6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th 2018, 7:15 pm
  #1400  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 5,727
SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My experience of going the Surinder Singh route so far

Originally Posted by spidergirl6 View Post
I just need to know if i get him to madrid he can fly out on his own from there?
Yes, if you get him to Madrid the he can fly by himself back to Morocco.
SanDiegogirl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th 2018, 7:17 am
  #1401  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 124
rickster000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My experience of going the Surinder Singh route so far

Was just reading about the Lounes judgement from the end of last year but don't really fully understand what it means. It was a ruling about dual nationality:

EU Law Analysis: Dual citizens and EU citizenship: clarification from the ECJ

The case seems to be about a Spanish national who then moved to UK and also gained British citizenship, so then had dual citizenship, and the EU courts overruled UK law by saying that she did in fact have EU free movement rights in order to keep her nonEU spouse in the UK. I could be wrong but that is how I read it.

What I am wondering is, if she already had dual nationality (eg. through family) but was living in Spain, does this ruling apply, meaning she would have the right to bring her nonEU spouse from Spain to UK (kind of similar to S/Singh free movement rules)?
rickster000 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th 2018, 8:27 am
  #1402  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 25
takhtar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My experience of going the Surinder Singh route so far

I am just wondering if it is still OK use SS route? as there will be alot of changes after Brexit. I see so many people still using SS route. Will there not be problem after Brexit to get settlement?
takhtar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th 2018, 5:45 am
  #1403  
Remainer
 
DaveLovesDee's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Swansea, Wales
Posts: 15,769
DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My experience of going the Surinder Singh route so far

Originally Posted by takhtar View Post
I am just wondering if it is still OK use SS route? as there will be alot of changes after Brexit. I see so many people still using SS route. Will there not be problem after Brexit to get settlement?
At the moment, there will be a problem EU Rights Clinic - Letter to Tusk

In particular, the interim deal does not cover family members of EU citizens who have returned home after having resided in another EU country, as regards both those who have returned home before Brexit and those who will return to their home Member State after Brexit.
DaveLovesDee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st 2018, 9:49 am
  #1404  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 4
Mfdoom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My experience of going the Surinder Singh route so far

I don't understand why you keep deleting my question. Yes, I posted the question twice yesterday, as I didn't know the house rules, but I followed up by asking the question just once. How will I get an answer if you keep deleting my question?

My question, which you keep deleting, is very straightforward. I want to know if the Maltese authority will let me apply for a eu residence card with a normal tourist schengen visa of 30-days. Although I applied for a family of eu citizen visa schengen, under the directive, the Italian embassy issued me with a 30-day schengen with no mention of 'family of eu citizen'.
Mfdoom is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st 2018, 11:21 am
  #1405  
Remainer
 
DaveLovesDee's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Swansea, Wales
Posts: 15,769
DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My experience of going the Surinder Singh route so far

Originally Posted by Mfdoom View Post
I want to know if the Maltese authority will let me apply for a eu residence card with a normal tourist schengen visa of 30-days. Although I applied for a family of eu citizen visa schengen, under the directive, the Italian embassy issued me with a 30-day schengen with no mention of 'family of eu citizen'.
Identity Malta has been refusing to issue EU family member Residence Cards to non-EU nationals who enter Malta on a Tourist visa.

I have been trying to check but haven't got an answer back yet.
DaveLovesDee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st 2018, 12:32 pm
  #1406  
Fun Sponge
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 25,941
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My experience of going the Surinder Singh route so far

Originally Posted by Mfdoom View Post
I don't understand why you keep deleting my question. Yes, I posted the question twice yesterday, as I didn't know the house rules, but I followed up by asking the question just once.
You've already asked it though in your own thread. http://britishexpats.com/forum/citiz...-singh-908632/

There is absolutely no need to ask the same question more than once, any duplicates are deleted as standard. Your question is no more important than anybody else's, if you want an instant response then it's an immi lawyer you need to contact rather than a forum full of volunteers.

Originally Posted by Mfdoom View Post
My question, which you keep deleting, is very straightforward.
I've only deleted the other three times of you asking that question as you already had it on the forum (your thread linked to above).

HTH clarify things a bit for you?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 1st 2018 at 12:43 pm.
christmasoompa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th 2018, 10:44 pm
  #1407  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 10
123Speak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My experience of going the Surinder Singh route so far

My experience with my wife's visa. She had a British permanent but we lived in South Korea for a long time so she lost it. We applied and were rejected. We came to the uk and she stayed 6 months but had to leave for 6 months in which we applied again to reinstate the visa she had. My poor kids missed her so much. I was so angry at the british government for separating my kids from their mother that I started to wish that we would not get the visa and live in such a corrupt country. We got her visa after one more rejection and final appeal. We stated that it was a human rights abuse to separate us and also that they had rigged the migration form so that it contradicted itself in it's rules.

Now we have moved to Portugal I realise how much more easy it would be and cheaper if we had come to this country first before entering the UK. Portugal is very cheap and the lawyer's fee is pitifully low and it is so fast. I thought that Ireland would be a good choice but if I were to do a Surinder Singh route here is much cheaper especially if you make sure you do it during the low season(winter) when you can get accommodation for 6months. In addition, at least you will have a eu visa even if you don't ever get British because of the British corruption. Everyone speaks english, but the schools are Portuguese so biggest hurdle is kids education. The school where I plan to send my children seems to have international student even though it is a government school in Faro and teaches in Portuguese. It is a very foreigner friendly country with a huge foreign community.
123Speak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th 2018, 1:10 am
  #1408  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 4
Mfdoom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My experience of going the Surinder Singh route so far

Originally Posted by 123Speak View Post
My experience with my wife's visa. She had a British permanent but we lived in South Korea for a long time so she lost it. We applied and were rejected. We came to the uk and she stayed 6 months but had to leave for 6 months in which we applied again to reinstate the visa she had. My poor kids missed her so much. I was so angry at the british government for separating my kids from their mother that I started to wish that we would not get the visa and live in such a corrupt country. We got her visa after one more rejection and final appeal. We stated that it was a human rights abuse to separate us and also that they had rigged the migration form so that it contradicted itself in it's rules.

Now we have moved to Portugal I realise how much more easy it would be and cheaper if we had come to this country first before entering the UK. Portugal is very cheap and the lawyer's fee is pitifully low and it is so fast. I thought that Ireland would be a good choice but if I were to do a Surinder Singh route here is much cheaper especially if you make sure you do it during the low season(winter) when you can get accommodation for 6months. In addition, at least you will have a eu visa even if you don't ever get British because of the British corruption. Everyone speaks english, but the schools are Portuguese so biggest hurdle is kids education. The school where I plan to send my children seems to have international student even though it is a government school in Faro and teaches in Portuguese. It is a very foreigner friendly country with a huge foreign community.







Hello 123speak. Your account is quite interesting. Me and my partner are currently in Belgium and it's quite difficult to proceed with the surinder Singh process here (getting a house is tedious and getting a registration appointment takes many months). For this reason, we are considering other EU countries and Portugal is on our list. Can you please answer the following questions:

*Can you please give a rough estimate of the timeline? How long is the process of getting a EU card?

*My wife earns a fixed income every 3months from the UK. She earns an equivalent of £1200 per month. Can we use this for self-sufficiency ?

* Can you recommend a specific health insurance coverage for the non-EU spouse (i.e. Me)

*Is there a job market for English speakers?

*How hard/expensive is it to get an Apartment? How many months of deposit do they ask and can we get a one-bed apartment for €300 per month?

I hope to hear from you soon
Mfdoom is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th 2018, 12:02 pm
  #1409  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 10
123Speak is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: My experience of going the Surinder Singh route so far

Originally Posted by Mfdoom View Post
Hello 123speak. Your account is quite interesting. Me and my partner are currently in Belgium and it's quite difficult to proceed with the surinder Singh process here (getting a house is tedious and getting a registration appointment takes many months). For this reason, we are considering other EU countries and Portugal is on our list. Can you please answer the following questions:

*Can you please give a rough estimate of the timeline? How long is the process of getting a EU card?

*My wife earns a fixed income every 3months from the UK. She earns an equivalent of £1200 per month. Can we use this for self-sufficiency ?

* Can you recommend a specific health insurance coverage for the non-EU spouse (i.e. Me)

*Is there a job market for English speakers?

*How hard/expensive is it to get an Apartment? How many months of deposit do they ask and can we get a one-bed apartment for €300 per month?

I hope to hear from you soon
Hello,

It was really weird as in the UK you need to prove so much in terms of income in order to remain, and most are refused. In Portugal so long as one of you is an EU member and you have 3000 Euros in a Portugees bank account on a bank statement my lawyer said we can apply. You don't seem to need to even prove work in order to stay here. I almost laughed when I heard it was only 3000 Euros(Not income but just in the account).

The hardest part is you need a long term rental contract. If you apply at the wrong time it is hard to get long term rentals as everyone is aiming at the tourist short term rentals. If you live a little further from the coast you could find but best to look now not later. Portugal used to be dirt poor not too long ago so you should be able to find something. Our 3 bedroom apartment is 500 euros a month in central Faro but this is a really good deal and through a friend.

The good thing is it is warm here so less energy costs and more comfortable unless you live in some place that is really really old.

You could probably do everything in 2 months with a lawyer. But in order to prove to the UK government, you need to stay much longer. Our lawyer was dirt cheap. You don't have to be in the country 100 percent of the time after the process.

Jobs are all related to tourism, maybe if you have TESOL you could teach English. But you don't need a job for the visa to stay here only 3000Euros and one of you to be EU citizen.

We still need to sort out our health insurance, until you get a permanent visa you can use the EU health Insurance card if you have one from the UK. If you don't have one order one form the UK government website.

In order to open a bank account and rent you first need a NIF number which is easy to get if you have lived in an EU address and have a proof of address (utility bill, etc.). So keep those Electricity/Gas Bills! You probably only need one. Our Lawyer sorted out our NIF and I think it cost us 60 Euros each but ask about cost before going ahead.

I would talk through everything that I have talked with you with the lawyer. almancilservicos.com who are in FARO and helped us. Some things we could have done ourselves but they made it very quick and easy and they know the system. Ask for Alexandra.

The people are much more foreigner friendly in my opinion, just let them know that you love portugal.
123Speak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th 2018, 5:42 pm
  #1410  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 4
Mfdoom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My experience of going the Surinder Singh route so far

Originally Posted by 123Speak View Post
Hello,

It was really weird as in the UK you need to prove so much in terms of income in order to remain, and most are refused. In Portugal so long as one of you is an EU member and you have 3000 Euros in a Portugees bank account on a bank statement my lawyer said we can apply. You don't seem to need to even prove work in order to stay here. I almost laughed when I heard it was only 3000 Euros(Not income but just in the account).

The hardest part is you need a long term rental contract. If you apply at the wrong time it is hard to get long term rentals as everyone is aiming at the tourist short term rentals. If you live a little further from the coast you could find but best to look now not later. Portugal used to be dirt poor not too long ago so you should be able to find something. Our 3 bedroom apartment is 500 euros a month in central Faro but this is a really good deal and through a friend.

The good thing is it is warm here so less energy costs and more comfortable unless you live in some place that is really really old.

You could probably do everything in 2 months with a lawyer. But in order to prove to the UK government, you need to stay much longer. Our lawyer was dirt cheap. You don't have to be in the country 100 percent of the time after the process.

Jobs are all related to tourism, maybe if you have TESOL you could teach English. But you don't need a job for the visa to stay here only 3000Euros and one of you to be EU citizen.

We still need to sort out our health insurance, until you get a permanent visa you can use the EU health Insurance card if you have one from the UK. If you don't have one order one form the UK government website.

In order to open a bank account and rent you first need a NIF number which is easy to get if you have lived in an EU address and have a proof of address (utility bill, etc.). So keep those Electricity/Gas Bills! You probably only need one. Our Lawyer sorted out our NIF and I think it cost us 60 Euros each but ask about cost before going ahead.

I would talk through everything that I have talked with you with the lawyer. almancilservicos.com who are in FARO and helped us. Some things we could have done ourselves but they made it very quick and easy and they know the system. Ask for Alexandra.

The people are much more foreigner friendly in my opinion, just let them know that you love portugal.
.............................................

Thanks so much! I'm really grateful. I've sent an email to the law firm. I'll call them on Monday. Can you suggest the best place (name of website, newspapers etc) to look for flats in Portugal? By 'long term' tenancy agreement, do you mean a year or more than a year? It won't be a problem if it's a year, as that's the best they offer in Belgium. Many landlords here actually prefer tenants to sign longer tenancy (up to 9 years and more!). Last question- do we need to translate our marriage certificate?

Many thanks again
Mfdoom is offline  
Reply With Quote

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement