My experience of going the Surinder Singh route so far

Old Oct 1st 2013, 10:07 am
Just Joined

EnglishSAGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My experience of going the Surinder Singh route so far

Originally Posted by AngelaV
Not at all. I'm sure I will feel the same about the UK when I get there but after living in SA for so long, I wasn't aware just how much freedom we had to give up. Until we moved here, my kids had never played outside as it was just too unsafe.

There is also a huge Down syndrome community here who have welcomed us with open arms.

All this and it is truly beautiful here, each town is quite small so there is a huge feeling of community. I could go on and on about the wonders of Ireland.

We will go to the UK though as one of the main reasons is to look after my mum who is disabled but we are just going to enjoy our time here until we have to leave.
That's exactly why we want to leave SA too now. It was bliss allowing the kids freedom when we were there on holiday a couple of weeks ago.

Glad you're enjoying yourself in Ireland, i think we might end up going the SS route and ending up there for a few months.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 10:52 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Having followed your story here and on the fb spouse page, I am intrigued by this. Is it because you are disillusioned with the UK now?
Not disillusioned with the UK, just UKBA and the Home Office.

Once we've qualified for the EEA Family Permit, the current plan is to stay in Ireland and apply for jobs back here while still living in Ireland.

There's no rush to move back immediately and Dublin's close enough to come back to South Wales every weekend or two should we need to. Whether we stay or come back there's short-term accommodation here for us to come back to until we get another place of our own.

We may want to stay longer to wait for the UK economy to improve, and that would be a decision we'd review when we've qualified for the EEA FP. We'd call it a working holiday
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
Not disillusioned with the UK, just UKBA and the Home Office.

Once we've qualified for the EEA Family Permit, the current plan is to stay in Ireland and apply for jobs back here while still living in Ireland.

There's no rush to move back immediately and Dublin's close enough to come back to South Wales every weekend or two should we need to. Whether we stay or come back there's short-term accommodation here for us to come back to until we get another place of our own.

We may want to stay longer to wait for the UK economy to improve, and that would be a decision we'd review when we've qualified for the EEA FP. We'd call it a working holiday
Of course that was what I meant! Considering all that you have been through I think you current plan is the best way to move forward. I wish you and Dee the best of luck.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 1:50 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

My interview's done. Dee's just about to go into hers.

They'll send us a CD of the radio program after it's broadcast so we can upload it for everyone to hear.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 3:15 am
BE Enthusiast

chaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nice

I've read this forum with absolute awe...I'm so moved that you guys have taken the time to share your experiences and help other people.

I'm going to be in a kind of an opposite situation to you guys in a few months. I'm currently in China but originally from Northern Ireland (dual British/Irish). My civil partner is Chinese. I don't qualify for the UK spouse visa (salaries in China are generally very low, unless you're on a full expat contract, which I'm not). I am now considering either an Irish spouse visa (which I think I would qualify for, but I would prefer to live in Northern Ireland and the Irish spouse visa obviously can't permit my partner to live in NI) or the EU Treaty Rights into Northern Ireland (however, this requires giving up British citizenship; something which I am considering!)

I'm currently leaning towards giving up British citizenship and moving to Belfast (a city which I know really well), but am wondering if anyone has any experience of the Surinder Singh route to Ireland (from the UK)?

I'd be really interested in hearing if the process is as smooth as it seems to be in the UK.

I wish you all the best of luck and thank you, again, for taking the time to share your learnings and educate the rest of us.

Hope all your dreams come true!
Chaoclive
Old Oct 8th 2013, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chaoclive
I've read this forum with absolute awe...I'm so moved that you guys have taken the time to share your experiences and help other people.

I'm going to be in a kind of an opposite situation to you guys in a few months. I'm currently in China but originally from Northern Ireland (dual British/Irish). My civil partner is Chinese. I don't qualify for the UK spouse visa (salaries in China are generally very low, unless you're on a full expat contract, which I'm not). I am now considering either an Irish spouse visa (which I think I would qualify for, but I would prefer to live in Northern Ireland and the Irish spouse visa obviously can't permit my partner to live in NI) or the EU Treaty Rights into Northern Ireland (however, this requires giving up British citizenship; something which I am considering!)

I'm currently leaning towards giving up British citizenship and moving to Belfast (a city which I know really well), but am wondering if anyone has any experience of the Surinder Singh route to Ireland (from the UK)?

I'd be really interested in hearing if the process is as smooth as it seems to be in the UK.

I wish you all the best of luck and thank you, again, for taking the time to share your learnings and educate the rest of us.

Hope all your dreams come true!
Chaoclive
Good luck chaoclive!
Old Oct 8th 2013, 2:54 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by chaoclive

If you're on Facebook, join the EU Free Movement Directive group.

The EU Free Movement Directive 2004/38/EC (aka Surinder Singh route) is the EU law that allows any EU citizen (and their spouse) to live and work in another EU country without restriction. There are many others in the group who've already done, are in the process of, or planning their forthcoming Surinder Singh trip.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

AngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really nice

and:

http://surindersinghroute.com.basil....t.aspx?g=forum
Old Oct 8th 2013, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nice

Thanks guys!

Unfortunately my VPN was cut of (the third one in just over a year) and I can't get into Facebook here in China. I can, however, access the link that Angela sent over.

Cheers - hope it's all going well for everyone!

Best from China
C
Old Oct 10th 2013, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

AngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really nice

We got our Stamp4 today!
Old Oct 10th 2013, 11:55 am
Account Closed

We got our Stamp4 today!
Yayyyy!!!!
Old Oct 10th 2013, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute

We got our Stamp4 today!
Woohoo congrats!!
Old Oct 10th 2013, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

We got our Stamp4 today!
CONGRATULATIONS
Old Oct 10th 2013, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!
Old Oct 10th 2013, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

englishguygoinghome, do you know that you are the person who inspired me to do this?

When I first found out about the rules, I went into panic mode and started throwing out bazaar scenarios to try to make my situation work for me to enter the UK. A number of people judged me but you were very, very supportive and offered a solution. So I thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.