My experience of going the Surinder Singh route so far

Old Sep 5th 2015, 10:53 am
Just Joined

jamal15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My experience of going the Surinder Singh route so far

Thank you
Old Sep 5th 2015, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee

As I understand it, healthcare in Ireland isn't free even for Irish nationals, but you'd both get the same charges as the locals once you're working.
To clarify Dave, it is not the employer that provides the healthcare coverage (as in the USA) but the government. So that as long as you are employed, no matter where and regardless of numbers of hours, you qualify. Is that correct?
Old Sep 5th 2015, 12:13 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perth
To clarify Dave, it is not the employer that provides the healthcare coverage (as in the USA) but the government. So that as long as you are employed, no matter where and regardless of numbers of hours, you qualify. Is that correct?
As I understand it, yes. This also applies for most of Europe.

Healthcare in Ireland - Wikipedia

Healthcare in Ireland - Citizens Information Ireland

Irish Public Health website

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Sep 5th 2015 at 12:17 pm.
Old Sep 6th 2015, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

ekpotek is an unknown quantity at this point

I am unaware of anyone attemting SS in Italy or Switzerland at present. Switzerland has voted to end it's free movement agreement soon, so that may no longer be an option. The one couple I'm aware of who did SS there, found it very hard.

I have research on the Switzerland vote and it will come into effect from February 2017. In that case are u advising that I should use Ireland instead of Switzerland. My now British spouse have never lived in Europe before. Is it possible for her to apply for EEA family permit for me in Nigeria to follow her to the UK. Thanks
Old Sep 7th 2015, 6:11 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ekpotek

I have research on the Switzerland vote and it will come into effect from February 2017. In that case are u advising that I should use Ireland instead of Switzerland. My now British spouse have never lived in Europe before. Is it possible for her to apply for EEA family permit for me in Nigeria to follow her to the UK. Thanks
The Family Permit can only be applied for after you've completed the SS requirements in an EU country other than the UK.

If the Swiss situation isn't changing until 2017, then that still could be an option for you both.
Old Sep 27th 2015, 3:13 am
Just Joined

redz2go is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone, I am new to this site. I have read through almost all the thread but I haven't seen any comments re my query, so I am wondering if anyone could help.

Does SS apply to UK citizens working in Switzerland with their non-EU spouse?

Thanks for the help
Old Sep 28th 2015, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

ArabellaTurner is an unknown quantity at this point

Would doing this via Spain be relatively easy? I have already lived and worked there and am fairly confident I could get a job there.

Does the non-EU spouse usually not work during this period? Or does that depend on what visas you can get in whatever country you end up in?

Can you register as a resident on a tourist visa?
Old Sep 29th 2015, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

meinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I am new and trying to learn very fast, so for now just one question for this thread.Has anyone used the services of some of the "agencies" that pop up whilst doing a Google search on the SS route?Some of them seem to have some dubious office addresses or make promises of simple websites.Now i realise that SS route is prefectly legitimate method and not a "loophole" I am prepared to DIY, but if anyone has used an agent and had good reports then i may consider, based on the premise that its (usually) always better to use the services of those you know rather than flying halfway round the world just to find you have unintenionally forgotten one important bit of paper or dont things in the wrong order.
Old Sep 29th 2015, 12:35 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by redz2go
Hi everyone, I am new to this site. I have read through almost all the thread but I haven't seen any comments re my query, so I am wondering if anyone could help.

Does SS apply to UK citizens working in Switzerland with their non-EU spouse?

Thanks for the help
Yes, it does apply to Switzerland, but apparently Switzerland has to have another referendum on staying in the free movemnt agreement. Should they vote to leave, Switzerland may not be an option after that.

Originally Posted by ArabellaTurner
Would doing this via Spain be relatively easy? I have already lived and worked there and am fairly confident I could get a job there.

Does the non-EU spouse usually not work during this period? Or does that depend on what visas you can get in whatever country you end up in?

Can you register as a resident on a tourist visa?
Spain would be fine. There's an SS Spain group on Facebook.

The non-EU spouse can work or not, it's up to them. The rule is that they have the same right to work as you do.

Not sure about Spain, but you can't apply for a Residence Card on a Tourist visa in Ireland. I would expect it to be the same in Spain too.

Originally Posted by meinkl
Hi, I am new and trying to learn very fast, so for now just one question for this thread.Has anyone used the services of some of the "agencies" that pop up whilst doing a Google search on the SS route?Some of them seem to have some dubious office addresses or make promises of simple websites.Now i realise that SS route is prefectly legitimate method and not a "loophole" I am prepared to DIY, but if anyone has used an agent and had good reports then i may consider, based on the premise that its (usually) always better to use the services of those you know rather than flying halfway round the world just to find you have unintenionally forgotten one important bit of paper or dont things in the wrong order.
I don't know of any that have used these services, but I'm aware of one company where the owner did do SS themselves. My issue is that these companies charge massive fees for what can easily be done much cheaper by anyone with a little research and effort.

I also find that by doing your own research and and stuff, you understand more of the process.
Old Sep 29th 2015, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

Not sure about Spain, but you can't apply for a Residence Card on a Tourist visa in Ireland. I would expect it to be the same in Spain too.
How then does the non-eu spouse accompany his/her eu partner to begin the SS without a visa. Because it very unlikely that any airline will carry a non-eu spouse to any eu country without any form of visa? His there a visa category (family visa) for the non-eu partner to applied for, if not a tourist visa?
Old Sep 29th 2015, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

meinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks DaveLovesDee,What a mine of information this forum is... thanks to everyone.I agree about the agent fees, but still a lot less than a few failed UKIV applications. and 2 1/2 year repeat costs.My only concern is 1 - if i DIY then yes i understand the process, but thats only if i have got said process correct from day one.2 - are these compaines con merchants or do they know what they are doing.I was reassured to see that if a DIY SS route application fails it does not go on the UKBA file. I assume thats still true.p.s. as I spent my toddler years growing up in Valetta, Malta I am going to check your blog and see if Ghan Tuffiea beach looks like it did in 1956-60, when I was the ONLY English child on the island and often the only family on the beach. That now tempts me to use Malta rather than Ireland as the SS route, but doubt I could find work there.
Old Sep 29th 2015, 1:39 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ekpotek
How then does the non-eu spouse accompany his/her eu partner to begin the SS without a visa. Because it very unlikely that any airline will carry a non-eu spouse to any eu country without any form of visa? His there a visa category (family visa) for the non-eu partner to applied for, if not a tourist visa?
For Spain(and most EU countries), the non-EU applies for a Family Member of an EEA national Schengen visa. Some question won't apply for them,usually marked *. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz7...p=docslist_api

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Sep 29th 2015 at 1:52 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2015, 2:02 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by meinkl
Thanks DaveLovesDee,What a mine of information this forum is... thanks to everyone.I agree about the agent fees, but still a lot less than a few failed UKIV applications. and 2 1/2 year repeat costs.My only concern is 1 - if i DIY then yes i understand the process, but thats only if i have got said process correct from day one.2 - are these compaines con merchants or do they know what they are doing.I was reassured to see that if a DIY SS route application fails it does not go on the UKBA file. I assume thats still true.p.s. as I spent my toddler years growing up in Valetta, Malta I am going to check your blog and see if Ghan Tuffiea beach looks like it did in 1956-60, when I was the ONLY English child on the island and often the only family on the beach. That now tempts me to use Malta rather than Ireland as the SS route, but doubt I could find work there.
Most of these companies probably know what they're doing. I presume they have someone who has already done SS advising them, if those persons aren't the business owner. For SS, the only cost on return tothe UK will be the £65 charge for the non-EU RC. There is no extra charge at 2.5yrs, only after 5yrs for the PR application (and for Citizenship application if the non-EU chooses that after PR).

There is less work in Malta in the winter season, but come April, the early tourist season begins. Hotels start hiring for summer staff.

Just to note. UKVI have often refused perfectly-valid applications for FP or UK RC for stupid or no reasons. For FP, if the application fails, apply again a week or two later with your extra month's payslip. It's free!
Old Sep 29th 2015, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

For Spain(and most EU countries), the non-EU applies for a Family Member of an EEA national Schengen visa. Some question won't apply for them,usually marked *. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz7...p=docslist_api
Does the EU partner need to have enter a Schengen country first, or he/she can travel with non-EU spouse together from Africa? On the Schengen form, I just leave the questions with Asterisk blank. What should I then answer as my main purpose of visit since my spouse is not yet a resident in the proposed EU country?
Old Sep 29th 2015, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

Most of these companies probably know what they're doing. I presume they have someone who has already done SS advising them, if those persons aren't the business owner. For SS, the only cost on return tothe UK will be the £65 charge for the non-EU RC. There is no extra charge at 2.5yrs, only after 5yrs for the PR application (and for Citizenship application if the non-EU chooses that after PR). There is less work in Malta in the winter season, but come April, the early tourist season begins. Hotels start hiring for summer staff. Just to note. UKVI have often refused perfectly-valid applications for FP or UK RC for stupid or no reasons. For FP, if the application fails, apply again a week or two later with your extra month's payslip. It's free!
I note you are now in Swansea so I assume it all must have worked OK for you?. What would be great is a step by step "Dummies guide to SS route".. or have I just given my money making idea away BTW, i have yet to find a definition of "paid employment" .. can it be anything that just shows regular salary at any level, full or part-time?( Just thinking aloud...would it be a little ironic if the "paid employment" in the initial EU residence was working for such an agency)Also, can the Brit travel out of that country on business and/or leisure trips, including into UK, during the "waiting period" ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.