My experience of going the Surinder Singh route so far

Old Mar 20th 2014, 1:07 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My experience of going the Surinder Singh route so far

Originally Posted by Stuck_in_Limbo
Hi All,

I have just begun filling out the online application for my wife's visa and come across some problems that I hope someone may be able to help me with. There are many fields on the application that are mandatory to fill out such as host in Ireland and so on. As I am not currently in Ireland but will be moving there next month how am i supposed to fill out these section? Also I was under the impression that we are not required to provide employment information but there are sections asking about this so should I just say my wife is not employed?
Any help from someone who has done this would be great. Thanks
There is a small * next to many of the questions, including the host one. These do not need to be filled in for non-EEA spouse applications.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

Stuck_in_Limbo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
There is a small * next to many of the questions, including the host one. These do not need to be filled in for non-EEA spouse applications.
Have I been stupid?
When it asks for reason for travel i selected join spouse (EEA national), is that referring to myself or my wife? I'm a UK national and my wife is Chinese. Should I have selected join spouse (non-EEA/Irish national)?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. Just dont want to make any mistakes that would jeopardise my wife getting her visa.
Thanks
Old Mar 20th 2014, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
For the questions marked with * should I write Not applicable or something like that? As if I try to leave them blank it will not allow me to save and continue with the application.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

sonny1980 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much for this thread Angela and for everyone helping out! I will be taking the plunge as a British guy accompanying my Filipina wife and 9 month old son from the Philippines to Dublin in a couple of weeks, as have just recently had their visa's approved. I thought I had already done a decent amount of research for what is required, but will be trying to finish off this thread to make it less nerve racking.

I have a couple questions that hopefully someone will have the answers to.

The Consulate have given their visa's dated from the 11th March for 3 months. Does immigration in Ireland give you 3 months from when you land, or are these dates fixed? I'm just a bit worried as that gives me less time to get everything sorted for my GNIB/EU1 application.

I also want to double check that I'm totally clear on this. I had read earlier in this thread about going to Ireland either on an EEA family permit or with a visa. As I understand my wife and son are travelling on a visa under the directive of freedom of movement. Just to clarify being a UK citizen, I don't need a family permit as a requirement of the SS route?

Thanks again for an amazingly helpful thread, and in advance for any help
Old Mar 20th 2014, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

For the questions marked with * should I write Not applicable or something like that? As if I try to leave them blank it will not allow me to save and continue with the application.
From what I remember when filling out the form. For putting in an address for where I would be staying, I put the address of a B&B I found online and was considering staying in. For the rest that were marked with an *, such as my relationship to the owners of accommodation etc I left blank and I was allowed to save and continue.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

Have I been stupid?
When it asks for reason for travel i selected join spouse (EEA national), is that referring to myself or my wife? I'm a UK national and my wife is Chinese. Should I have selected join spouse (non-EEA/Irish national)?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. Just dont want to make any mistakes that would jeopardise my wife getting her visa.
Thanks
Yes you are correct. She is joining you the EEA national. Just in case, if you are traveling together remember to put accompanying spouse. I can't remember if they were separate options.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 9:59 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Have I been stupid?

Thanks
It will be your wife who completes the application form, and she will put joining or accompany EEA spouse depending on whether she's meeting you there or you are going together. For the queswtions that don't apply to EEA nationals or their spouses, 'spouse of EEA national' tells them why you haven't done that section.

See above.

Originally Posted by sonny1980
Thank you so much for this thread Angela and for everyone helping out! I will be taking the plunge as a British guy accompanying my Filipina wife and 9 month old son from the Philippines to Dublin in a couple of weeks, as have just recently had their visa's approved. I thought I had already done a decent amount of research for what is required, but will be trying to finish off this thread to make it less nerve racking.

I have a couple questions that hopefully someone will have the answers to.

The Consulate have given their visa's dated from the 11th March for 3 months. Does immigration in Ireland give you 3 months from when you land, or are these dates fixed? I'm just a bit worried as that gives me less time to get everything sorted for my GNIB/EU1 application.

3 months from date of entry to Ireland.

I also want to double check that I'm totally clear on this. I had read earlier in this thread about going to Ireland either on an EEA family permit or with a visa. As I understand my wife and son are travelling on a visa under the directive of freedom of movement. Just to clarify being a UK citizen, I don't need a family permit as a requirement of the SS route?

Thanks again for an amazingly helpful thread, and in advance for any help
You don't need a visa or permit to enter any EEA country. Your spouse will apply for one to return to ythe UK with you.
Old Mar 21st 2014, 4:44 am
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for your quick responses. You have all been really helpful and I truly appreciate it. As I am sure you can all understand this is a stressful business which has caused me to second guess everything. Hopefully we should be able to complete the rest of the application and have it all done by Monday.

p.s I selected join EEA spouse as I will be going to Ireland first.

Cheers everyone
Old Mar 21st 2014, 7:33 am
Just Joined

Thanks a lot Dave. Those dates I mentioned are attached to their passports expiring 10 June 2014.

Does that mean as long as they enter Ireland before the expiry date they'll be fine? Wouldn't mind a bit of extra time to prepare.
Old Mar 21st 2014, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks a lot Dave. Those dates I mentioned are attached to their passports expiring 10 June 2014.

Does that mean as long as they enter Ireland before the expiry date they'll be fine? Wouldn't mind a bit of extra time to prepare.
Under EU law your wife doesn't actually need a visa in your situation. She could turn up with her marriage certificate and any other relevant documents and they should let her in at the border. Doing this has issues though: finding an airline who will let you board, potential long waits at the border until you see someone senior enough to check the rules and stamp her passport etc. So a visa is a very good idea.

But what that means is that the expiry date on the visa simply tells you the last date that you can use that piece of paper to enter the country.

Once you are in; if the visa is still valid as you go through the next steps life will proably be easier but it's not required. The local regulations say that anyone (you and your family) coming to live in Ireland (and most EU countries) need to register within 3 months. The EU regs say YOU (as an EU citizen) have three months to find a job and qualify to stay. Both are from the date of entry and not related to the visa. IF you come early - then the three months to find a job will be up 3 months after you arrive, not 3 months after your wife does.
Old Mar 21st 2014, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

Thanks mate that's really cleared up all my worries regarding the timelines.

Ready to book our flights. Waiting for a reply from the airline to make sure they won't have a problem with a one way ticket. If anyone knows Ethihad's policy on this it would be much appreciated.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 5:19 am
Just Joined

Thanks mate that's really cleared up all my worries regarding the timelines.

Ready to book our flights. Waiting for a reply from the airline to make sure they won't have a problem with a one way ticket. If anyone knows Ethihad's policy on this it would be much appreciated.
Hi, How did you get on with Ethihad? I was considering booking flights with them too. Any problems with the one way ticket?

Thanks
Old Apr 1st 2014, 9:31 am
Just Joined

sony44 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello happy people,i being a qualified nursery practitioner with an nvq level 3,what would the best self employment option in Ireland for the SS route in case finding employment gets very difficult?Any ideas of whatever self employment u are doing or have done or know of?Just asking for your thoughts.We are in this together
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

Hi, How did you get on with Ethihad? I was considering booking flights with them too. Any problems with the one way ticket?

Thanks
Hey, sorry for late reply been so busy. Have gotten our one-way tickets for the 8th of April. I went to the Etihad office, and they said there was nothing on their system that required us to have a return ticket with their visa's. I phoned the Irish consulate for more advise, as some airlines can have a problem with short stay visa's, and they said I could direct them to the Irish naturalisation website, which states that while the visa's are issued as short stay we can extend while in Ireland under Freedom of Movement. I'll have to print that out as well so I have it on hand in case asked at the airport.

You should also double check with the airline before you purchase, if they require you to have a return ticket from the country you are flying from.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

AngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really nice

They have changed the EEA2 application form. You no longer have to resubmit your details for ss or submit documentation if you have a Family Permit.

Definitely worth getting it before returning to the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.