Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Is my child eligible to apply for British Citizenship with the MN1 Form?

Is my child eligible to apply for British Citizenship with the MN1 Form?

Old Dec 9th 2014, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

New2be is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is my child eligible to apply for British Citizenship with the MN1 Form?

Hi,

I am a little confused with the process of registering my 3 year old daughter as a British citizen. She was born in the United states.

My mother was naturalised as a British citizen in 1993 (Not born in UK). I was registered as a british citizen and was born outside the UK in 1984. Am i correct in saying that I am british citizen by descent because my mother was british citizen otherwise by descent?

I think the option for me is to apply for registration using the MN1 for section 3(2) but I am not sure whether this is the correct way to go about it. I have read the guide to MN1 form and numerous forums and articles about the correct way to apply but have not found a definite answer.

Can anyone offer any info or advice? Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!
Thank you for reading my post.
Old Dec 9th 2014, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is my child eligible to apply for British Citizenship with the MN1 Form?

My understanding is that if you were born outside of the UK you cannot pass on your British citizenship.
Old Dec 10th 2014, 12:24 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is my child eligible to apply for British Citizenship with the MN1 Form?

If you were registered under S.3(1) BNA 1981 on the basis that your mother naturalised in the UK under S.6(1)/S.6(2) BNA 1981 then you would have become a British citizen otherwise than by descent like your mother and then therefore your daughter is already a British citizen by descent and does not need to be registered using Form MN1.

Given the slightly unusual circumstances I would however highly recommend getting a consular birth certificate for your daughter.

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth
Old Dec 10th 2014, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

New2be is an unknown quantity at this point

I had double checked on the certificates and it does state that I was registered under S. 3(1) BNA 1981 on the basis that my mother was naturalised in the UK under S.6(1) BNA 1981.

You have helped clarify a lot! I will look into applying for a consular birth certificate for my daughter. I'm glad all that confusion is finally cleared up and finding out that i don't have to go the long and expensive route of submitting the MN1 form. Thanks so much BritInParis for your time in reading and replying to my post!