Moving USA spouse to UK

Old Mar 8th 2017, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

amberashjess is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving USA spouse to UK

Hi

Since I posted the aboutt he level of time and effort it will take to move my children to the US, my husband and I have decided it would be easier and wiser for him to move to the UK.

Would it be possible for him to come back with me to the UK and stay for up to 6 months and then return to the US and apply for a UK spousal visa? If that is granted, then can he fly back to the UK and live with me? Money should not be a problem as he has much more than the required amount in savings. I have read that you need the money to be in a readily available account for 6 months so we will have to wait that time as he says he needs liquidate some of his investments into cash.

He visited me in November 2016 and stayed a month and went home. He has enough money right now to stay in the UK without needing to work at all. Approx $40,000 from a recent property sale
Thank you, I would appreciate if it can be moved to the appropriate place.

Can somebody clarify, if my husband has more than £65,200 in cash savings he could qualify for a spousal visa? Can this money be in his name or do I have to have it in my bank account?

I'm currently not working as I have a child with some learning disabilities and I get income supprt, carers allowance and do a for him.

The savings route is the route we would have to take I think.

Thanks for all your help. I've copied my questions to this forum as suggested.

Jessie

Last edited by amberashjess; Mar 8th 2017 at 1:02 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 10:38 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving USA spouse to UK

If you have cash savings of £62,500 between the two of you that have been held for a minimum of six months or have derived from the sale of a property which you had owned for at least six months then you can apply for your husband's spouse visa now, no need for him to come to the UK for six months first, particularly if you wouldn't be working.

If you haven't held enough for six months then he could come to the UK as a visitor to wait before returning to the US to apply for his spouse visa. He would need to demonstrate ties to the US though which would may be difficult if you and your child would be residing in the UK. Is he employed in the US?
Old Mar 9th 2017, 2:55 am
Just Joined

amberashjess is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving USA spouse to UK

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If you have cash savings of £62,500 between the two of you that have been held for a minimum of six months or have derived from the sale of a property which you had owned for at least six months then you can apply for your husband's spouse visa now, no need for him to come to the UK for six months first, particularly if you wouldn't be working.

If you haven't held enough for six months then he could come to the UK as a visitor to wait before returning to the US to apply for his spouse visa. He would need to demonstrate ties to the US though which would may be difficult if you and your child would be residing in the UK. Is he employed in the US?
Hi

The savings are held in investments so he would have to liquidate them and put them in an account. So not had them for 6 months.

The child is not his, he's from a previous relationship and a British citizen.

He has an apartment in the US he leases but recently got laid off from a job he has had for 29 years hence why we thought he could come to stay in England for a while.He has his own son in the US and also the £40,000 he just got from a property he owned with his ex.

We have kind of decided that he should visit for 3 months and then probably go home as we don't want to appear suspicious to the border people as we don't want to put any future application for his UK spouse visa in jeopardy. Let's hope he gets his visa stamp without too much hassle. We will be travelling back to the UK together shortly. We only married 3 weeks ago so we would like to spend a little bit of time together. I also have children at home in the UK and need to get back.

Thank you for the advice.