Moving to the UK from USA with child

Old Dec 7th 2016, 1:17 am
Just Joined

Darlingamylouise is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to the UK from USA with child

Hello, I'm a bit confused when it comes to the earnings a sponsor has to make. Mainly because it involves our daughters citizenship. My wife and I are going to be moving to the UK with our daughter. My wife is a UK citizen and US permanent resident. I'm a US citizen and our daughter was born here in the states. As of right now, my daughter only has a US passport. We did plan on getting her a British passport soon and registering her birth when everything is settled and we are in the UK. When it comes time for me to apply and for my wife to become my sponsor, would she also have to be our daughters sponsor? And would that mean she would have to be earning the £22400 instead of £18600? I figured if we acquired a British passport for our daughter prior to me applying and my wife becoming my sponsor, our daughter shouldn't need to be sponsored since she would have a British passport. Then, once I've finally moved, we could register her birth. If anyone could help clarify some of this, it would be extremely helpful!
Old Dec 7th 2016, 1:29 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the UK from USA with child

Whether your daughter has a British passport or not is irrelevant as to whether she is a British citizen or needs a visa.

So long as your wife is able to pass on citizenship to her children (typically that means your wife was born in the UK, though there are a few British citizens born outside the UK who are able to pass on citizenship) then your daughter is British and doesn't need to be sponsored, nor is she part of the household income requirement calculation.

That said, to settle in the UK, your daughter should enter on a British passport because otherwise she will appear to be a visitor to the UK, and it will get messy to register her with a doctor, and school in due course. It may also cause a problem if you take her out of the UK on holiday as she will appear to have overstayed (assuming that she has been in the UK for more than six months).

Assuming she meets the residency requirements, your wife should also get US citizenship before she leaves the US, so she can have the right to return to the US to live in future if she wants to.

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 7th 2016 at 1:35 am.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the UK from USA with child

Originally Posted by Darlingamylouise
My wife is a UK citizen and US permanent resident. I'm a US citizen and our daughter was born here in the states. As of right now, my daughter only has a US passport. We did plan on getting her a British passport soon and registering her birth when everything is settled and we are in the UK.
Two points for the OP -

1) Will his wife applies for US citizenship before she leaves the US? US Permanent Residents can lost that status after a year outside the US.

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/aft...anent-resident

Becoming an US citizen means that she can return to the US at any time - just in case things don't work out for the family in the UK.

2) The OP's daughter, being born in the US, may receive British Citizenship via her mother. This would make the daughter a British Citizen by descent, which means that her child (the OP's grandchild) will not automatically receive British Citizenship if the birth takes place outside the UK.