Moving to the UK and marrying a South African

Old Jul 23rd 2017, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

kailiejulie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to the UK and marrying a South African

My fiancé and I got engaged in April this year while on holiday in the UK. We were both born in South Africa, however I have dual South African and British citizenship as my father is from Scotland and registered me for a British Passport when I was a child.
I have never lived in the UK before.

I have recently been made a job offer in London and we are looking to permanently immigrate at the end of the year. My job offer meets the £18600 pa income requirement, but we are trying to figure out the best way for us to move over with regards to Visas for him.
My fiancé does not have a job as yet but we do have several feelers out. It's therefore not an immediate requirement for him to be able to work when we move over.

Would it be best for us to get married in South Africa before moving over or should we apply for a fiancé visa and get married in the UK? If we go with the latter option what do we need to do to get married in the UK/ What documentation would we need to get married in the UK (do I need a national insurance number etc.) and what needs to happen after we're married with regards to Spousal work visas etc.
Is there anyone who can help us decide the best course of action and explain the process?
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the UK and marrying a South African

Originally Posted by kailiejulie
My fiancé and I got engaged in April this year while on holiday in the UK. We were both born in South Africa, however I have dual South African and British citizenship as my father is from Scotland and registered me for a British Passport when I was a child.
I have never lived in the UK before.

I have recently been made a job offer in London and we are looking to permanently immigrate at the end of the year. My job offer meets the £18600 pa income requirement, but we are trying to figure out the best way for us to move over with regards to Visas for him.
You will need to get a National Insurance Number as soon as you arrive in the UK to take up the job in London. Please see link below for details -

https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 5:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Get married in South Africa and then apply for the spouse visa.

You, the Brit, will be sponsoring your husband for a settlement visa.

Read the following website for information:

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa

There are financial, relationship and accommodation requirements to fulfill.

The process takes approx 12 weeks (currently longer as backlog)

After you are obtain the visa your spouse is eligible to work immediately you enter the UK.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HKG3
You will need to get a National Insurance Number as soon as you arrive in the UK to take up the job in London. Please see link below for details -

https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number
Thanks for the advice.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, did not factor in how long the process would take
Old Jul 24th 2017, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kailiejulie
My fiancé does not have a job as yet but we do have several feelers out. It's therefore not an immediate requirement for him to be able to work when we move over.
Just to let you know that cash savings can also be use to satisfy the spouse visa financial requirement. You will need to have cash savings worth £62500 for six months to meet the spouse visa financial requirement. If your cash came from a house sales, you do not need to meet the six months rule.