Moving to the UK to join my girlfriend

Old Jul 2nd 2020, 5:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the UK to join my girlfriend

Originally Posted by Nikewade
Sadly I don't think so, she is only half way into being 18, this is her second job and she is currently a student. She works around 32 hours a week (Five guys). I work, and I make around $20k a year currently but I dont think that matters much.
So you're both students? I don't see any way around this from what you've said, if you don't have the savings or income required.

Would her moving to the US be an option instead? You can use a joint sponsor there, it's just not something the UK allows.
Old Jul 2nd 2020, 5:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly I don't think so, she is only half way into being 18, this is her second job and she is currently a student. She works around 32 hours a week (Five guys). I work, and I make around $20k a year currently but I dont think that matters much.

If you work and earn around 20K, get a second job to get your earning up to $22K and YOU sponsor her to move to the US.

Old Jul 2nd 2020, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

Nikewade is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
You are not a special case..... your lawyer will not be able to do anything, so don't waste your money. There is no joint sponsorship......
Do you have any experience with this kind of matter? Just wondering what your source of information is.
Old Jul 2nd 2020, 5:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have any experience with this kind of matter? Just wondering what your source of information is.

Seemingly endless reading of UK Immigration rules and loads of good information and advise from the mods on this forum........
Old Jul 2nd 2020, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

Seemingly endless reading of UK Immigration rules and loads of good information and advise from the mods on this forum........
I see, well if anyone has any other ideas feel free. I will probably be looking into getting a lawyer just to see what is possible.
Old Jul 2nd 2020, 5:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Although just to add, not this mod! I have very little knowledge of UK immigration rules, SDG is one of our forum pros and knows the rules inside out.

I've never heard of a 'special case', there have been numerous court cases against the UK government re: their income requirements, but nobody has succeeded AFAIK. I can't see what would make you a special case, surely if there was such a thing it would be for people that genuinely can't earn the money to be together i.e. are disabled and in a war torn country? I don't see how being young and not earning enough would do it tbh.

You're both really young, if you finish your studies and get your degrees then you'll be in a much better position to get well paying jobs, both to sponsor each other but also just to make life easier.

Best of luck to you.

Old Jul 2nd 2020, 5:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I see, well if anyone has any other ideas feel free. I will probably be looking into getting a lawyer just to see what is possible.
If money is tight, spending thousands on a lawyer is money that could be better spent IMO. Better to save that money and work towards having enough to make up the difference I'd have thought.

We have another couple of forum pros that kindly give their time for free (paging BritinParis and SpouseofScouse, please come to the forum ), I'm sure they'll chuck any ideas your way if they can.

Good luck.
Old Jul 2nd 2020, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
If money is tight, spending thousands on a lawyer is money that could be better spent IMO. Better to save that money and work towards having enough to make up the difference I'd have thought.

We have another couple of forum pros that kindly give their time for free (paging BritinParis and SpouseofScouse, please come to the forum ), I'm sure they'll chuck any ideas your way if they can.

Good luck.
Gotcha yea no problem, I do appreciate all of the help
Old Jul 2nd 2020, 5:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Gotcha yea no problem, I do appreciate all of the help
I've just realised SoS has already replied above, she's said the same thing. Unless BiP has any ideas, I think you'll just have to have her move to be with you, or wait until she is in an financial position to bring you to the UK.

I'm assuming a work visa isn't an option? I've no idea if there's any kind of Working Holiday Visa for the UK for people your age, but if a spousal visa isn't possible, it may be worth looking in to other non-spousal options to just double check there isn't another way to get you over here.
Old Jul 2nd 2020, 5:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I've just realised SoS has already replied above, she's said the same thing. Unless BiP has any ideas, I think you'll just have to have her move to be with you, or wait until she is in an financial position to bring you to the UK.

I'm assuming a work visa isn't an option? I've no idea if there's any kind of Working Holiday Visa for the UK for people your age, but if a spousal visa isn't possible, it may be worth looking in to other non-spousal options to just double check there isn't another way to get you over here.
There is no working holiday visa for young folks from the US. There is the standard Student visa - for this the OP would need to get accepted onto a college course and, of course, be able to pay for it.
Old Jul 2nd 2020, 5:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Get her to join you in the USA ?
Old Jul 2nd 2020, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scot47
Get her to join you in the USA ?
Not an option sadly, she is already studying in the UK and has a lot set up there
Old Jul 2nd 2020, 8:48 pm
On a grand tour

tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute

You're both barely out of childhood - give it a little time before taking life-changing decisions.
Work hard for a year or two, improve yourself, maybe earn a degree or trade. Then either have enough funds to go the savings route for a Spouse Visa, or a chance of a job offer (and work permit) for the UK in your own right.
Old Jul 4th 2020, 9:29 am
Just Joined

Dollparts is an unknown quantity at this point

If you spend some time on this forum, on UK spouse visa forums or reading the official website you will realise that it’s a very black and white process. The UK has requirements for their citizens to be able to sponsor their spouses. Regardless if we think those requirements are fair, that is what they are. If you do not meet those requirements, even if you hired a very fancy immigration lawyer, they will not change the requirements for you.
I would suggest another option could be that your girlfriend defers her studies, starts working enough to be meeting the £18,600 requirement. After six months of this, you can apply for the visa. After it is approved, she could get then go back to university.

If she does not want to defer her studies then you have no choice but to wait until she is finished and earning the right amount or until you both save up enough to go down the cash savings route.

Immigration is a long, tedious, expensive and stressful experience. It isn’t easy. It has to be worked for and it doesn’t come easy just because we want it to.
Old Jul 4th 2020, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

cangrande22 is an unknown quantity at this point

I do not know anything about the scheme so cannot answer any questions, and I do not know the precise requirements, but you might be eligible for a youth mobility visa if you are from the right country:
  • Australia
  • Canada
  • Japan
  • Monaco
  • New Zealand
  • Hong Kong
  • Republic of Korea
  • Taiwan

https://www.gov.uk/tier-5-youth-mobility/eligibility

Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.