Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Moving to northern Ireland with American Husband and baby

Moving to northern Ireland with American Husband and baby

Old Jul 10th 2015, 4:01 am
Just Joined

Maryb1988 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to northern Ireland with American Husband and baby

So guys thanks for all your messages and advice.

I just want to clarify somthing as my family are planning to move in Sept.

Am i correct in saying as i am an Irish citizen living in Northern Ireland never having owned a British passport, my husband (american) can apply for a EAA family permit (free of charge) once issued (could take 30 day) he can travel to N.I without me in November ( baby and myself will already be there with me hopefully working). Within the 6 months as the EAA permit is issued for 6 months he can obtain a job and can apply for a residence card £65. With this he is able to live and work in Northern Ireland with his family.

Does this all seem correct as i got the information from a member and done some research of my own.
Just wanting to make sure before we get all excited and sell everything to move. Thanks for all your help
Old Jul 10th 2015, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nice

Originally Posted by chaoclive
an Irish citizen living in Northern Ireland never having owned a British passport,
Not sure that this is going to wash with the British Embassy. If you were born in Northern Ireland to an Irish or a British parent, you are also, like it or not, a British citizen.

You could try for the family permit but I would expect that this will be refused.

The Good Friday Agreement did not change citizenship laws of either the ROI or the UK. See here: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...0device001.pdf.

I know that people will disagree with this but no-one has challenged it in court yet so it's hard to say.

It's worth a try but it may not work.

Everything else is fine so if you get the EEA family permit you should be ok.
Old Jul 10th 2015, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

Not sure that this is going to wash with the British Embassy. If you were born in Northern Ireland to an Irish or a British parent, you are also, like it or not, a British citizen.

You could try for the family permit but I would expect that this will be refused.

The Good Friday Agreement did not change citizenship laws of either the ROI or the UK. See here: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...0device001.pdf.

I know that people will disagree with this but no-one has challenged it in court yet so it's hard to say.

It's worth a try but it may not work.

Everything else is fine so if you get the EEA family permit you should be ok.
Would i need to renounce my british citizenship first then ?
Old Jul 10th 2015, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nice

Originally Posted by Maryb1988
Would i need to renounce my british citizenship first then ?
It is an option and it's exactly what I did last year. The renunciation certificate took about 2.5 months to come through and my civil partner now has a UK issued residence card. We live in Belfast.

Info here: https://www.gov.uk/renounce-british-nationality.

A lot of people will argue that this is an extreme course of action but I've had NO issues whatsoever. My bank accounts/tax status/job/national insurance contributions etc have not been affected at all. I am now an Irish (only) citizen working in the UK. My partner will be eligible to apply for Irish citizenship after 3 years of living with me as a 'married' (civil partnered) couple on the Island of Ireland. Citizenship stuff is here: Becoming an Irish citizen through marriage or civil partnership. He will also be eligible for PR for the UK after 5 years here (as long as I am exercising treaty rights for that long and, of course, as long as the UK is part of the EU/EEA and as long as the Directive on Free Movement applies in the UK).
Old Jul 10th 2015, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

It is an option and it's exactly what I did last year. The renunciation certificate took about 2.5 months to come through and my civil partner now has a UK issued residence card. We live in Belfast.

Info here: https://www.gov.uk/renounce-british-nationality.

A lot of people will argue that this is an extreme course of action but I've had NO issues whatsoever. My bank accounts/tax status/job/national insurance contributions etc have not been affected at all. I am now an Irish (only) citizen working in the UK. My partner will be eligible to apply for Irish citizenship after 3 years of living with me as a 'married' (civil partnered) couple on the Island of Ireland. Citizenship stuff is here: Becoming an Irish citizen through marriage or civil partnership. He will also be eligible for PR for the UK after 5 years here (as long as I am exercising treaty rights for that long and, of course, as long as the UK is part of the EU/EEA and as long as the Directive on Free Movement applies in the UK).

Thanks so much

So if I want to renounce can i do this from N.I as il be there end of august and my hubby joining me a few months later ? Just asking because i have to submit passport and i have to flew in leas that 2 months.

Thanks for all ur help
Old Jul 10th 2015, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks so much

So if I want to renounce can i do this from N.I as il be there end of august and my hubby joining me a few months later ? Just asking because i have to submit passport and i have to flew in leas that 2 months.

Thanks for all ur help
You can do it from anywhere. I did mine when I was in the UK on a short holiday before returning to China (where we were living). I didn't provide my Irish passport as I needed it to travel back to China but I gave them a copy of the passport, a copy of my visa for China, a copy of my flight ticket back to China and my birth certificate. It worked for me.

The form has to be posted to the UK.

There is an email address available for you to ask questions about the process: [email protected]. Bear in mind that it takes ages for them to reply!
Old Jul 10th 2015, 4:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

So guys thanks for all your messages and advice.

I just want to clarify somthing as my family are planning to move in Sept.

Am i correct in saying as i am an Irish citizen living in Northern Ireland never having owned a British passport, my husband (american) can apply for a EAA family permit (free of charge) once issued (could take 30 day) he can travel to N.I without me in November ( baby and myself will already be there with me hopefully working). Within the 6 months as the EAA permit is issued for 6 months he can obtain a job and can apply for a residence card £65. With this he is able to live and work in Northern Ireland with his family.

p
What passport do you have? You say that you have never owned a British passport?

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Jul 10th 2015 at 4:14 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2015, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
What passport do you have?
I currently have an irish passport
Old Jul 10th 2015, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
What passport do you have?
Quoted from above:
"an Irish citizen living in Northern Ireland never having owned a British passport,"
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

donalmac is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi folks, just bumping this thread as I am in the same boat as maryb. Just wondering what method she chose as I am about to start the same process to move back from Canada to n.ireland with my Canadian wife and son
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by donalmac
Hi folks, just bumping this thread as I am in the same boat as maryb. Just wondering what method she chose as I am about to start the same process to move back from Canada to n.ireland with my Canadian wife and son
I have been advised from
People on the forum and some people from home to do the EEA route. My fanily and i are moving in the nxt month or so.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

bcarter is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mary, Did you end up renouncing your British citizenship?
Old Nov 9th 2015, 10:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bcarter
Hi Mary, Did you end up renouncing your British citizenship?
No i ended up not doing it this way. I spoke woth a Lawyer and il be going through the process next year
Old Nov 9th 2015, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

bcarter is an unknown quantity at this point

No i ended up not doing it this way. I spoke woth a Lawyer and il be going through the process next year
Ohh, you will be going through the process of renunciation next year? Or have you got an alternative way? Sorry for appearing so nosey, just in the middle of my process now and I am interested in what others are doing as I want my wife here
Old Nov 10th 2015, 9:07 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bcarter
Ohh, you will be going through the process of renunciation next year? Or have you got an alternative way? Sorry for appearing so nosey, just in the middle of my process now and I am interested in what others are doing as I want my wife here
Basically my laywer said we cant do the EEA route as we have to move to another EEA country to exercise our rights then move back to UK. Im talking with my lawyer today to find out the whole process but in short the non Uk citizen needs to apply out of country and go through the visa proces. There are a few ways to do it but my main concern was the yearly income requirements. Once i get more infor il let u kno

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.